What's the problem with Evans ???

phil_qc

Hi !

Ok, I just replaced all my drum heads for
G1 clear as rezo and G1 coated as batter heads...
The sound is very good for what it is BUT, all the
heads were badly manufactured... Some were a bit
too big (diametre) and others were not equal (too much
material at some place) and, once tuned to the perfection,
if you spin your fingers around the bearing edge, you can
feel a lot of wobble... and I don't talk about wrinkles now...

I like to tune a bit higher than rock standard but not so
jazz high so it's not a tuning tension problem...

I know how to tune drums and I'm a bit anal about that
but is that kind of thing acceptable ???

I have use Evans 2 plys by the past and never got that
kind of problem... Is it because it's some 1 ply heads ???

Time to switch back again to Remo ??? I know that my
drum is round and well faced... I also look for bad hoop
but everything is good...

Any input is welcome...

Philippe

What drums do you have? I wouldn't blame the fitting problem on the heads.

On the other hand, you shouldn't have uneven coating or wrinkles. Take them back to the store and tell them what you posted here.

This isn't a reason to give up on Evans, it's probably just one of those fluke things. I would also recommend sticking with Evans because they have a much more durable coating, with a single ply head with Remo coating, you'll be through it in no time! (rock years that is, jazz years is a much longer time).

What drums do you have? I wouldn't blame the fitting problem on the heads.

On the other hand, you shouldn't have uneven coating or wrinkles. Take them back to the store and tell them what you posted here.

This isn't a reason to give up on Evans, it's probably just one of those fluke things. I would also recommend sticking with Evans because they have a much more durable coating, with a single ply head with Remo coating, you'll be through it in no time! (rock years that is, jazz years is a much longer time).

I play on a Sonor 2005 in perfect shape...
Bearings edges are good and the shells are round and flat...
Thanks...

Phil.

Take the heads off and check them again.

I've never heard of a problem with any recent Evans heads (as in, the last six/seven years). In fact, they are known for their consistency and high quality. Remo seem to have slipped a bit in terms of anything other than single-ply heads, so I'd just give your Evans set another chance before you throw them away. Take them off the drums and re-fit them, tuning with even tension over each head and we'll see.

I've had those problems with Remo heads before....

Me too... that's why I switched to Evans... but now I got
that bad batch of Evans... bad luck I think because I rarely
got any problem with Evans... For this time, I will buy some
Remo, just to equalize my luck...

Thanks !!

Philippe

I play on a Sonor 2005 in perfect shape...
Bearings edges are good and the shells are round and flat...
Thanks...

Phil.

Very strange. I also use Sonors (3003) and haven't had problems with any of the Evans heads I buy (G2 coated, EMAD Coated). Probably not the drums either as Sonors are pretty solid. I've been using Evans for the past 3 years since I started playing again and used sizes 8-10-12-14-16 and 22.

Maybe it is the 1 ply - 2 ply difference you're talking about. I've never tried the G1.

The reason I do not play Evans heads for one to my ear they do not sound as good as Remo's. Secondly the metal rims with Evans are very flimmsy in comparison to Remo's. Id check those out

Back