Best monitor for $300

N

nhzoso

Have searched through the threads but not found anything specific enough.

I am looking for a monitor I can use at gigs so I can hear the vocals and possibly guitars and also use at home where I can plug my cd player or mp3 player into it and play along to songs with out using headphones in my basement.

I admittedly know very little about the sound side of things but I have read a little on it and am pretty sure I need an active powered monitor but thats about all I know.

Was looking at a behringer for $217 on GC but a buddy told me they are crap. What do you use if anything and what would you look for if you could buy it over again.

I am looking at this but it is at the very upper end of my spending limit.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-thump-series-th-12a-12-2-way-powered-loudspeaker

Best bang for your buck is the Behringer b212 or b215 active speaker. I'm very new to sound reinforcement as well but took a crash course in it over the past few months in building a small PA system for my band for practices and small gigs.

I bought 4 of the 15" speakers, using 2 as PAs on sticks and 2 as monitors for the front. Going to buy a 5th to use as a monitor for myself. I think they sound great.

Behringer is generally regarded as crap, but this line of speakers has gotten GREAT reviews. All depends on whether you want the 12" (usually $229.99) or the 15" (279.99)

Best of luck.

Have you considered in ear monitors? I have been using wireless in ears for over a year now and love them!

I agree, I have been using a Shure P4HW for about 10 years now and will never go back to a speaker monitor. Having the crisp and clean sound right in my ear and have full control of the volume, eq settings, limiter and being able to pan between 2 channels right on my side without having to wait for or bother the sound man was well worth the $279 they sell for.

Have you considered in ear monitors? I have been using wireless in ears for over a year now and love them!

well was hoping for something that would not require ear phones/buds. It's not out of the question I guess but I would like the ability to play along to a CD and record it on my zoom and be able to hear the music and my drums as well as have a very nice monitor for gigging.

I too was looking for a monitor that could be used as a small rehearsal PA and on stage monitor, I had seen and heard the mixed reviews about Behringer, having looked these speakers they look decent, in terms of build and features, and I have heard a similar Behringer monitor used on stage, and it did the job, having also looked at Harbinger gear, they are a cut above them.

I would also look at Samson, and another brand I recently came across Alto, which has gear that looks nice, with some nice design touches, wire mesh speaker grills over both tweeter and woofer.

I would be interested to hear (sorry, no pun intended) how you progress with your search.

Regards

Ended up with the Behringer eurolive F1320D, so far so good but have only used it in the basement playing along to CD's w/o headphones and it is more than loud enough for that. It is very clear as well.

Was going to use it during band practice last week but it seems trouble is a brewing on that front and it may be awhile before I get to try it live.. Oh well atleast I have a good monitor now. I also bought the extended warranty for $45 just in case.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behring...0-Watt-12--Monitor-Speaker-H76512-i2026235.gc

Back