Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson

I love the last Al Green album "Lay it Down" ... his playing on that is sublime.. I never get tired of listening to anything off The Tipping Point either ...

Last edited:
I think it is definitely a Yamaha kit with a '60s style wrap finish. It would be a major no-no for him to play a Ludwig kit when he's under contract with Yamaha. The finish is probably a custom job--when you are a big enough drummer, Yamaha will do some custom things for you (particularly custom finishes).

Does anyone know what kind of snare he generally uses? On the Fallon Show, it is hard to make out. The Yamaha site says 3.5x14 brass, but I think the only Yamaha snare in this size is the Garibaldi one. Does he use one of the older, discontinued brass piccolo models by Yamaha (i.e., non-nouveau lugs)? I really love his snare sound.

I think it is definitely a Yamaha kit with a '60s style wrap finish. It would be a major no-no for him to play a Ludwig kit when he's under contract with Yamaha. The finish is probably a custom job--when you are a big enough drummer, Yamaha will do some custom things for you (particularly custom finishes).

Does anyone know what kind of snare he generally uses? On the Fallon Show, it is hard to make out. The Yamaha site says 3.5x14 brass, but I think the only Yamaha snare in this size is the Garibaldi one. Does he use one of the older, discontinued brass piccolo models by Yamaha (i.e., non-nouveau lugs)? I really love his snare sound.

But take a look at the bass drum spurs, claws and lugs on this photo:
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2009/02/19/the-roots-cp-6279565.jpg
It' certainly looks like vintage stuff. The snare in this picture looks like a supraphonic but generally he uses the garibaldi piccolo or the old brass piccolo.

You can even see the rail mount on the bass drum on this picture:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2ox-majELpg/SbgQJhELA7I/AAAAAAAAANw/n_qAH3qNNoA/s400/the+roots+band.bmp

But take a look at the bass drum spurs, claws and lugs on this photo:
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2009/02/19/the-roots-cp-6279565.jpg
It' certainly looks like vintage stuff. The snare in this picture looks like a supraphonic but generally he uses the garibaldi piccolo or the old brass piccolo.

You can even see the rail mount on the bass drum on this picture:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2ox-majELpg/SbgQJhELA7I/AAAAAAAAANw/n_qAH3qNNoA/s400/the+roots+band.bmp

Ah, very nice pictures and observations. I agree: that main snare looks like a supraphonic with the standard lugs, 5x14. The auxiliary snare I can't make it--definitely brass colored, but it too looks like a 5" depth. Hmmm.

Regarding the vintage kit, I don't know. He is using the Yamaha subkick device on the bass drum. However, take a look at this Yamaha kit from the late 1960s--could it be something like this? This kit has a similar finish with the rail mount--and after looking at your photo again, I definitely think ?uestlove may be using this Yamaha birch kit from the '60s:

Attachments

• yamaha1960s.jpg
    yamaha1960s.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 6,026
Ah, very nice pictures and observations. I agree: that main snare looks like a supraphonic with the standard lugs, 5x14. The auxiliary snare I can't make it--definitely brass colored, but it too looks like a 5" depth. Hmmm.

Regarding the vintage kit, I don't know. He is using the Yamaha subkick device on the bass drum. However, take a look at this Yamaha kit from the late 1960s--could it be something like this? This kit has a similar finish with the rail mount--and after looking at your photo again, I definitely think ?uestlove may be using this Yamaha birch kit from the '60s:

Interesting, may be so:) someone maybe can judge from the sound?

Interesting, may be so:) someone maybe can judge from the sound?

Heck, we have the Internet! We should just e-mail him via his Myspace page and ask what kit he is using. I did this with Matt Chamberlain not too long ago, after seeing him play with Tori Amos. I wrote to him via Myspace and asked about his cymbals, and he wrote back in less than a day! Perhaps ?uestlove would let us know what he's playing himself!

Heck, we have the Internet! We should just e-mail him via his Myspace page and ask what kit he is using. I did this with Matt Chamberlain not too long ago, after seeing him play with Tori Amos. I wrote to him via Myspace and asked about his cymbals, and he wrote back in less than a day! Perhaps ?uestlove would let us know what he's playing himself!

You're right! I can try reach him through okayplayer.

yeah this is guy is for sure one of the tightest drummers ive heard, hes got a real sweet pocket, hes the best part of the jimmy fallon show.

It actually is a vintage Yamaha kit

I found this thread on okayplayer:
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php...&topic_id=183185&mesg_id=183185&page=4#183204

Quest says:
"Don' ask me why but yamaha is letting me use the 5th yamaha set ever created. from 1968. straight from the museum.

i wanna MARRY that kit.

it sounds so frigging good!

actually the new "phoenix" kit is coming and they are going to model it after the first kit.

it's their LOUDEST set ever, a combo of 5 different woods and to hit it once that shit rings LOUD

borderline to the point that you dont have to mic it (i will though)

my new kit will be ready in april."

Sorry for the necro post, but it's not only necessary, but required of me. ?uestlove is the reason I picked up sticks. My friend introduced me to The Roots, (I've always been a huge hip hop fan), and there was something about the beats that I couldn't let go. It was swingy and jazzy, but it was clean and crisp, and Cool-?uest doesn't miss a beat. He, (and I) have literally gotten into arguments with people claiming that they're playing a recorded and looped track. Anyone that respects Ringo for his ability to play a steady beat throughout a song with little fills, pauses, or solos, (?uesto only really does solos when playing live), should give Questlove 100x more props.

The beats he plays are far more elaborate, mixing hi-hats, rides, and multiple snares per measure! He can also go to town on the bass drum. I'm sure he can play faster and better on bass without using a double, than most double bass players can.

He is quite the music connoisseur too if you don't know. I'm not sure he's ever really talked about drummer-influences, but he will tell you anything you need to know about any artist that contributed anything to music from the past 50 years. His crates are the deepest.

I also madly respect ?uestlove for playing drums in a genre ruled by drum machines. I will always live by the motto that drum machines have no soul. ?uest stands out from the rest. He certainly paved the way for anyone that wanted to drum in hip hop, or any other electronic genre of music. Also, considering the lack of mainstream success, he is one of the hardest working artists in hip hop. I have never seen anyone like him. I hope the Jimmy Fallon show sheds some light on him and his band. (Yes it's his band, despite the fact that Black Thought is the vocalist).

what are some of your guys favorite Roots songs and ?uestlove drum parts

If you're looking for actual favorite songs, I'm a bit biased as a die-hard hip hop fan, I tend to look for lyricism and flow as much as beats, so I'll give you songs that I think exemplify ?uest's ability on drums.

Don't Feel Right
In The Music
Take It There
Livin' In A New World
Baby
Clock With No Hands
How I Got Over
Respond React
Panic!!!!!
Push Up Ya Lighter
What They Do
UNIverse At War
One Shine
Good Music (Prelude)
!!!!! <---Yes, that's the name of the song. Good luck finding it. Most search engines won't accept punctuation. It's on the Phrenology album.
Sacrifice
The Seed (2.0) --- I don't think it's that great a song, but others swear by it.
Break You Off
Water
Quills ---- Best Roots song ever!!! (top 3 at least)
Get Busy
75 Bars --- I'm pretty sure this song is almost all snare
Criminal
Rising Up
I Can't Help It
The Show
Without A Doubt
Act Too (The Love Of My Life)
100% Dundee
You Got Me The end is great
Star
I Don't Care
Guns Are Drawn
The Web Great swingy beat
Boom!
Why (What's Goin On?)
In Love With The Mic

By the way, a great instrumental Roots album is "Dilla Joints." It's The Roots doing instrumental covers of previously electronic beats made by a famous, (and sadly, deceased, beat maker; J Dilla). But every track on here is great.

Going through my iTunes made me re-realize how incredibly awesome this cat is. If you haven't given him the chance, please do.

My father passed away and left me the same Black Oyster Pearl Yamahas that ?uestlove plays...Unfortunately I am not a drummer..more a guitarist/bass player..
If I was to sell these what should be the minimum I ask?
I will post photos if there is interest.. I even have the matching snare.
BTW hello I am new here.
Cheers.

If I got left a set like that, I'd learn to play.

Questlove is easily one of my favorite drummers, and The Roots being on Jimmy Fallon will definitely give them a wider audience. I know my wife is looking into some of their music now, and she never would have.

Back