Vic Grip Versus Zildjian Dip

JakkP

Ive been using Vic Firth 5ANVG for the past few months now and I love them, but ive been considering trying out some other grip sticks. I recently seen that Zildjian make sticks with black grip and I was wondering about the quality of them, and of Zildjian sticks in general. Seeing as theyre obviously primarily cymbal manufacturers.
Any opinions on Zildjian sticks, particularly the dip sticks, and their comparison to Vic Firth?

Ive been using Vic Firth 5ANVG for the past few months now and I love them, but ive been considering trying out some other grip sticks. I recently seen that Zildjian make sticks with black grip and I was wondering about the quality of them, and of Zildjian sticks in general. Seeing as theyre obviously primarily cymbal manufacturers.
Any opinions on Zildjian sticks, particularly the dip sticks, and their comparison to Vic Firth?

I have played both Zildjian and VF and tried both the Zildjian Dip and the VF Grip. As far as just the sticks go, I prefer Vic. The Zildjian sticks seem to be of a softer sort of hickory that just whittles itself away so fast.

As for the grips -- I CANNOT play with Zildjian Dip. For whatever reason, the rubber or latex or whatever is not as firmly bonded to the wood as Vic Grip. It tends to wear loose at friction points, and then I invariably develop blisters at those points. I have tried them at various stages over the years, including after Zildjian bought VF, and still no improvement. I would sooner play with a pair of pencils than with Zildjian Dip sticks ever again.

As far as Vic Grip -- as far as I'm concerned, Vic Grip is what Zildjian Dip should have been and never was. The dip stays on the stick, does not loosen or bubble, does not create friction, and actually helps to grip the stick. It's not tacky, it doesn't change the sound of the stick, and reacts well to sweat. In fact, I'm probably going to pick up another brick of Vic Gripped X5Bs this week at Donn Bennett's.

It is my FERVENT hope that Zildjian leaves Vic Grip alone and doesn't try to make it more like Dip -- because Vic Grip is tons better. If they nerf it down, I'll probably jump ship. As of right now, though, it's my keeper stick.

First time I used zildjian dip was the last, huge blisters. Vic grip works fine for me.

There is zil dip on my trilock gurtu sticks. I don't really like any grips but I have no problems with it and get no blisters.

I agree on the slight irritation with the Zildjian Dip sticks, but I still like to use their Trilok Gurtu dipped walnut sticks near the end of the evening.

Dennis

I find that the Zildjian dipped sticks aren't as durable. I'm currently using Las Cabos dipped grip sticks in 5A. So far, they seem to have a supieror grip over the Zildjian's, and durability is far greater. They're made in New Brunswick Canada. I highly recommend them.

I have been an avid Vic Grip user for a few years now with the X5A's. My only problem is sometimes they have little "bumps" on them that can be annoying. Really have to try before you buy! Unfortunately, Guitar Center stopped carrying them and I started using Zildjian Super 5A Dip's. Honestly, I like them a lot! No problems with blisters or premature wear, plus the stick itself works well for me. since changed over and am a happy camper! I highly recommend them.

ZIldjian was first with the grip, on their Trilok Gurtu and Marc Quinones sig sticks.

It's ok, but the Vic Grip feels much better in my hand. So much so, I notice it when playing sticks without the grip. It's nice.

The Gavin Harrison sig stick!! Great stick if you haven't tried it yet.

I was given a pair of Zildjian dip 5As years ago and really hated playing with them. The didn't bother my skin or anything but I still didn't like them. I pulled them out of a drawer this year and played with them til they broke. I'm probably never going to buy them again.

I've never played with a Vic Grip but they seem alright when I've looked at them in the store.

Personally I cant use any of the grips, dips or wraps, they tend to grip the skin and cause blisters, have even had trouble with painted and varnished ones doing it too. I prefer the unpainted, unvarnished wood on the Vic Firth American classics, I dont get any blisters with them, just a callus on the friction points.

All Vics i've tried have been of much higher quality than Zildjians. I bought a pair of dipped 5bs and both of them splintered right down the shaft in a matter of weeks, and I'm not a heavy hitter & I have good technique. The Zils felt less dense as well. I haven't tried the Vic Grips but I prefer them for sticks anyways.

I find it interesting that people here seem to have more problems more with the Zildjians than the Vics. I have the complete opposite experience. I've been playing the Zildjian dips for the last couple of years and I probably have had 2 or 3 sticks wear through the dip. I agree though that the wood they are made of is softer. They wittle down and make a mess, and I usually end up breaking the stick way before the grip wears off. On the other side, I tried a pair of Gregg Bissonette sticks with the Vic Grip because I though they felt good in the store. I bought them and used them that night at a gig and wore (and tore) right through the grip in one night. It's a shame because I actually prefer Vics over the Zildjians as feel and wood durability goes.

This is a funny read, since Zildjian sticks are made by Vic Firth (have been for the past 3 years or so) and the Vic Grips and Dip Sticks are the exact same thing, apart for the choice of colors. Look at a Zildjian 5B Dip Stick and a VF Gavin Harrison model. Exact same purple coating.
This is why Colaiuta's switch to VF was predictable. The only thing to change for him is the stamp on his sticks. The reason people experience Zildjian sticks as being less durable has a lot to do with the fact that most Zildjian models have a much thinner neck and taper. Compare a VF 5B to a Zildjian 5B and you'll see what I mean. Even though production has moved to the VF facilities, Zildjian kept their exact model specs (because they do in fact play great).
However, older Zildjian sticks were indeed of notoriously inferior quality.

This is a funny read, since Zildjian sticks are made by Vic Firth (have been for the past 3 years or so) and the Vic Grips and Dip Sticks are the exact same thing, apart for the choice of colors. Look at a Zildjian 5B Dip Stick and a VF Gavin Harrison model. Exact same purple coating.
This is why Colaiuta's switch to VF was predictable. The only thing to change for him is the stamp on his sticks. The reason people experience Zildjian sticks as being less durable has a lot to do with the fact that most Zildjian models have a much thinner neck and taper. Compare a VF 5B to a Zildjian 5B and you'll see what I mean. Even though production has moved to the VF facilities, Zildjian kept their exact model specs (because they do in fact play great).
However, older Zildjian sticks were indeed of notoriously inferior quality.

The Zildjian Dip and Vic Grip have next to nothing in common other than their manufacturers. I can play with Vic Grip all day and it feels great. An hour with Zildjian Dip and I have blisters forming on my fingers. The Dip separates from the stick far easier than Vic Grip ever has.

Sorry, seems like it should be true, but in my experience, it simply isn't. And I have tried both pre-merger and post-merger.

I've come to the conclusion that it's the color purple that is irritating our fingers. ;)

Dennis

Back