iron cobra

risewiththefallen

Sorry guys, I'm sure this has been asked before. Can someone explain the difference between the rolling glide and power glide? Thanks in advance!

Sorry guys, I'm sure this has been asked before. Can someone explain the difference between the rolling glide and power glide? Thanks in advance!

I just experienced the difference first hand, the hard way. They refer to the different types of cams that the chain wraps around on the axle. Rolling glide cams are round. They are essentially half spheres when looking from the side. A power glide cam looks like someone took a rolling glide and lopped off an edge. So it's mostly round and then the very end of the cam is flat. This creates a little extra torque on a stroke at the end. Some people won't notice the difference but I preferred the consistency and perceived higher level of control you get with a rolling glide. Power glides definitely deliver a hard punch though. Try both out in a store but you may not be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:
I have owned both and played both. I prefer the rolling glide. As mentioned before the Powerglide cam gives you a slightly increased stroke at the end. My foot feels less tired at the end of playing a long gig with the rolling glide and I can play just as loud and honestly faster. Of course that is just me.

I noticed a lot of music stores only stock the Powerglide for whatever reason.

I don't own a rolling glide but I do play powerglides and speed cobras which have the round cam. The obvious differences in the overall pedals' desings are quite noticable but I feel no difference in the effect of the different cams. My playing certainly isn't altered in any way by the power glide cam. They might simply amount to a harder hit? Not sure really.

I've read one person say he felt like the powerglides caused him to hit early. Just rolled my eyes at that one. Even if that were somehow true I don't see how it would take more than 5 minutes to correct that problem.

They also make a Iron Cobra with a cam and strap, and those are pretty awesome feeling to me. It feels like the ultimate accelerator pedal as the beater flies toward the head.

Ok thanks for the info guys. Right now I'm playing trick dominators, there amazing pedals, but I'm kinda sick of the dd feel. I was pretty sure pg vs rg were the same as dw 5000 turbo vs accelerator, but wanted to be sure. I'm going to go put my feet on cobras, 5000s, elims, and falcons, see which I likw the best.

Well I came home with iron cobra power glides. They feel amazing and seem very sturdy. People say there heavy, but they feel extremely light to me. Lovin them so far

Bo, is that pedal the flexi-glide model?

I've been looking at Iron Cobras for when I finally take the plunge and upgrade my pedal and I managed to try out the rolling glide after calling round a couple of stores to find someone that stocks them but I can't find a flexi glide to try anywhere anywhere.

I've never had the chance to try a strap pedal vs a chain before, could anybody shed some light on this for me please?

Cheers,

Random thought about the Iron Cobra. The cobra coil does not make any sense on a chain or belt driven pedal. Does not that create a slack since the foot board gets some extra push?

Random thought about the Iron Cobra. The cobra coil does not make any sense on a chain or belt driven pedal. Does not that create a slack since the foot board gets some extra push?

That's what I have found. Maybe not at slower speed (not sure)? But when I play fast the coil bounces the pedal upward faster than the rebound off the head. It serves absolutely no purpose where speed is concerned. With the coil removed, no matter how fast you play you're not going to get slack in the chain, it just doesn't work that way because the pedal movement is directly related to the beater. The coil just disrupts this action.

I was overjoyed to discover my initial disappointment with the speed cobra was all because of the coil. Removed the coil and found the pedal to be everything and more I was looking for.

Well I ended up returning the iron cobras. After a 2 hour practice wkth my band, I wanted the tricks again. Far easier for me to play at high tempos, and complicatef rythems. Well live and learn I guess.

Well I ended up returning the iron cobras. After a 2 hour practice wkth my band, I wanted the tricks again. Far easier for me to play at high tempos, and complicatef rythems. Well live and learn I guess.

If you like the lighter feel of Tricks but not the DD feel, sounds like Speed Cobra's might be perfect.

Actually to me the way I have them set up the tricks are heavier than the cobras. I tried the speed cobra, seems good, but still like my tricks more. Justbthought id try chain pedals again, cause I never tried pro chain pedals. I went straight from cheap pedals to demon drivwes to trick. Anyways think I'll be sticking with trick for now (want to try out axis though)

well rolling glide has a more balance forward motion,and the power glide has more powerful forward motion

Back