Yamaha Recording Custom 9000

rsmdrummer

There's a guy selling some Yamaha Recording Custom 9000's that he says is dated from January 1983.

I don't know much about these drums, but just wondering if anyone knows if these are birch or maple shells without having the serial numbers?

It has a 8X12, 9X13, 16X16 toms and a 24X14 kick. Asking $800.

Thinking about pulling the trigger, but just wanted to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!

Those would be birch shells. And a good price.​

all birch, nicely "aged" and perfect for home recording. set them up in a high ceiling room & get some tracks going ! you will get a ridiculous rock / pop sound out of them.

Thanks for all of the great responses.

I'm going to look at them this afternoon and hopefully do a serial number check to make sure they are advertised.

Thanks again!

So did you get a chance to look at them?

Are you the proud owner of them now????

I am the proud owner now!!

They're in a little rough shape, but they sound pretty great.

I found the model numbers.

BD-922GA
TT-912GA
TT-912GA
FT-916GA

The serial number on all of them were JA.

From what I gathered, they were made in January 1983 and the GA means they were wrapped, but I haven't been able to confirm yet.

Thanks again for all the great advice helping me to make this decision.

Congrats!!!

Can you post some pics?

So you have two 12" toms?

Nice score. The wrapped 9000 series with the high tension lugs were known as 'Recording Standard,' rather than Recording Custom. The 'Custom' designation on Yamaha drums means that they have a lacquered finish. They didn't produce the Standard line for very long, so not many drummers even know about the distinction. Another difference is that RC's have stained interiors and the RS's have natural interiors. Nowadays, people lump them all into RC, since they don't know about the distinction. Not that this is any huge deal, but thought you'd want to know as the new owner. Looking forward to seeing the pics...

I second what BGH says. They are recording standard (with wrap and no black inside). People call them RC to try to increase the resell value). Nice drums though . The wrap makes them somewhat more "giggable"( less fragile to damage).

Thanks BGH! Great information I've been searching for. They must be Recording Standards because they do have the wraps and natural insides. The guy selling them didn't call them Recording Customs, so no harm, no foul.

Here are some pics:

yamahafull.JPG

yamahatom.JPG

yamahakick.JPG

yamahatop.JPG

Thanks BGH! Great information I've been searching for. They must be Recording Standards because they do have the wraps and natural insides. The guy selling them didn't call them Recording Customs, so no harm, no foul.

Here are some pics:

Yup, those are the Recording Standards for sure.

But wait, did that snare come with the kit? That looks like a Black Beauty 6.5"

sweet kit!!! bet it sounds Great!!!

Ummm whats the DW kit you are hiding there???

Yup, those are the Recording Standards for sure.

But wait, did that snare come with the kit? That looks like a Black Beauty 6.5"

You guys are good!

That is a Black Beauty, but it didn't come with the kit. I've had it now for a couple of years. Thought about selling it, but it works so well with the new kit.

sweet kit!!! bet it sounds Great!!!

Ummm whats the DW kit you are hiding there???

Haha. Not trying to hide it. I was having some close calls with the rack tom hitting the virgin kick.

It's a Exotic Mapa Burl Candy Black Fade three piece.

BD - 22X18
TT - 10X12
FT - 14X16

I've had it for about 4 years now and just found a little nick on the bass from a cymbal stand. :(

Back