2 ply for toms

JanosA

I recently bought a used Delite kit, and it has some worn ambassadors on it. I need to switch out the heads. I'm thinkin 2 ply. I'm also leaning towards coated. So, would the coated Emperor, or Evans EC2 be my best bet? or something else?

Your best bet? Its tough to answer that. What sound are you looking for? There is no "best" head for anything, or " best" of anything else.

Your best bet? Its tough to answer that. What sound are you looking for? There is no "best" head for anything, or " best" of anything else.

LOL

from the two I mentioned, which one would you recommend? I'm a newb at buying drum gear. I've been a guitarist for 16 years, and finally got myself a proper kit.

LOL

from the two I mentioned, which one would you recommend? I'm a newb at buying drum gear. I've been a guitarist for 16 years, and finally got myself a proper kit.

The EC2's are really nice heads. But dont just go with what we say. Take a trip over to the guitar center and take a test drive for yourself.

I'm using coated emperors with clear ambassadors on the bottom sides. They sound great.

I recently bought a used Delite kit, and it has some worn ambassadors on it. I need to switch out the heads. I'm thinkin 2 ply. I'm also leaning towards coated. So, would the coated Emperor, or Evans EC2 be my best bet? or something else?
I don't like the EC lines. they eliminate too much high end. If I were inexperienced and looking for a good all rounder that sounds good until I sorted it out I would go with a Clear G2 batter and Clear G1 reso. If you want coated, the coated G2 would be fine also

i have ec2s on right now with stock reso and i just ordered some new heads.
im going with evans coated over clear g1s on toms and genera over hazy 300. it should sound pretty good. im excited.
i am going to keep my ec2s around. they are good sounding heads and even after 8 months of beating they are in great shape. they are very strong and resilient heads.
those g1 tops are probably gonna die pretty quick...

I don't like the EC lines. they eliminate too much high end. If I were inexperienced and looking for a good all rounder that sounds good until I sorted it out I would go with a Clear G2 batter and Clear G1 reso. If you want coated, the coated G2 would be fine also

Second that. Of course it would also depend on what kind of music you're playing. I didn't like the EC2s for the reason mentioned above, but could see how they may work in some settings.

I ended up getting the coated g2's for the toms, and g2 dry for the snare.

Now i just have to learn to TUNE my drums lol. been working on em for 2 days now. >,..,<

The chart on the Evans web site puts the G2 coated on the *brighter* side of EC2 clear.

Is that so?

I'm not sure that Evans chart is as much of a scientific reference as it is a marketing tool.

Good choice with the coated G2s. The EC2s are nice, but are not that great for certain styles. You can pretty much play anything with the coated G2s. The EC2s are good for rock and stuff, but are too heavy for a lot of lighter styles. That's been my experience anyway.

I recently bought a used Delite kit
Honestly, you have a great drum set, and it will support almost any number of head combinations. What sounds good to drummers A, B, and C may, or may not sound good to you. Also, your kit will sound one way when you're playing it, and different when you're standing 10 feet in front of it, listening to it as someone else plays it. So just about anywhere is a good place to start. Especially if you still have to learn how to tune. Work with what you have, get it to sound as good as you can. From there, you can fine tune (i want a brighter sound, or a darker sound, or phatter, more punch, etc.).

Back