Kumu four piece.

How are the wood hoops holding up? Do they mark when you do rimshots? Are wood hoops supposed to last long?

So far I've only managed to remove some paint coat from the snare drum's hoop with loud rim shots -- no dents or any structural damage. Normal hits cause light stick marks but won't make the finish chip off. Wood hoops will probably last forever on tom-toms, and many, many years on a snare drum. Of course, it all depends on the player and his technique: some drummers have managed to destroy even die-cast hoops with their rimshots.

So far I've only managed to remove some paint coat from the snare drum's hoop with loud rim shots -- no dents or any structural damage. Normal hits cause light stick marks but won't make the finish chip off. Wood hoops will probably last forever on tom-toms, and many, many years on a snare drum. Of course, it all depends on the player and his technique: some drummers have managed to destroy even die-cast hoops with their rimshots.

I just saw your new YouTube video and left a comment. I love your tom sound. How much of it do you attribute to the wood hoops? I'd love a set for my NC's if they're tonally worth it.

I love your tom sound. How much of it do you attribute to the wood hoops? I'd love a set for my NC's if they're tonally worth it.

They certainly have an effect. Steel hoops tend to ring a bit when drums are struck, which adds some high frequencies into the sound. Wood hoops don't ring per se, but add to the drum's overall resonance -- they are almost like an extension to the drum's shell. I've had the opportunity to compare my kit to my friend's Kumu kit that features flanged steel hoops, and there's a clear difference. The steel hoops give more attack, projection and high-end clarity, while the wood hoops give more roundness, warmth and darkness -- in a word, more "wood". Both kits sound great, of course, so it all comes down to personal preference. Darker sounds appeal to me, so I went for the wood hoops.

Yeah, once again great playing, steady as could be (were you playing to a click?). That acrolite sounds really nice (like the rest of the kit but I already knew that ;) )

Nice groovin', as always. The camera angle pretty cool, too, but mostly I liked your fill ideas and groove.

They certainly have an effect. Steel hoops tend to ring a bit when drums are struck, which adds some high frequencies into the sound. Wood hoops don't ring per se, but add to the drum's overall resonance -- they are almost like an extension to the drum's shell. I've had the opportunity to compare my kit to my friend's Kumu kit that features flanged steel hoops, and there's a clear difference. The steel hoops give more attack, projection and high-end clarity, while the wood hoops give more roundness, warmth and darkness -- in a word, more "wood". Both kits sound great, of course, so it all comes down to personal preference. Darker sounds appeal to me, so I went for the wood hoops.

I have thought of getting some wood hoops for my drums as I do like a darker, mellower sound. I think you made a good choice getting the wood hoops. I have a feeling that on some sets, you wouldn't notice much of a difference and you would on others and I wonder what influences that.

I wonder what it would cost, though, to outfit my snare and toms with wood hoops. They aren't cheap I hear but I haven't priced it out.

Back