EC2 over EC Reso

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I use clear or coated ambassador on my main kit's toms. I am considering going with something completely different on #2

Considering an ec2 SST clear over an EC resonant. I have not seen or heard anyone run this combo. Have any of you tried it? What did you think?

The other option would be a coated g2. over clear g1. Much less radical option

definitely ec2 set clears on top, only heads i have found that give me that low end punchy sound on my toms,i have a 10, 12, 16" toms with them on and they are amazing! I still use the stock heads on my tama starclassic bubinga and am planning on changing them soon, if you do try EC reso's, with ec2 clears then let me know how you like them, id rather keep my heads all the same brand.

I definitely recommend going for the ec2 clears as batter side heads though, great heads, evans g2's were recommended to me before and i tried them but didn't like them at all.

hope this helps.

I would opt for the G2s. Pre-dampened heads, to me, are just for people who can't tune very well. People love them because the dampening rings get rid of the overtones that come with a poor tuning job, but it also kills a lot of the tone. I used to LOVE EC2s. They were my go-to head for toms, until I learned how to tune. Now my G2s over G1s sound so much better than my EC2s over G1s ever did.

However, that's just my opinion. If you want a fat sound with a very quick decay, then EC2s over EC resonants will be great for you, but I find that the overtones of a properly tuned drum add so much to the overall tone of the kit.

I would opt for the G2s. Pre-dampened heads, to me, are just for people who can't tune very well. People love them because the dampening rings get rid of the overtones that come with a poor tuning job, but it also kills a lot of the tone. I used to LOVE EC2s. They were my go-to head for toms, until I learned how to tune. Now my G2s over G1s sound so much better than my EC2s over G1s ever did.

However, that's just my opinion. If you want a fat sound with a very quick decay, then EC2s over EC resonants will be great for you, but I find that the overtones of a properly tuned drum add so much to the overall tone of the kit.

All I want is something different from the Amb/Amb setup I use on the other kit. That said, it may just be that is the sound I like and being different just because is a mistake...

I agree. I have the nice open, tuned up, resonant setup on my "main" kit if you will. Logically there is not much point in having 2 identical sounding kits so I am dabbling with other options. A coated G2 over a coated G1 may well be different enough to scratch this itch. Debating in my own head how far I want to go

I love the EC reso heads! They are on my kit and the kit I play at church. Peace and goodwill.

Those heads sound good when the drummer is the only one hearing them. Like in your practice space or studio they would sound good to the drummer. Live unmiced from the audience's POV they sound thick and a lot deader. The further you get away from the heads, the more tone is lost.

Back