What Did You Do to Make Do?

Well my eldest brother (7 years older than I )would hit my middle brother (5 years older than I) who would then hit me so I then would hit my little sister (2 years younger)-it was like dominoes. So rather than hit my sister my parents gave me a punching bag (it was a clown) and pots and pans to beat on LOL. Dad bought me a blue sparkle Ludwig in 1963 when I was 8-yeah to be so lucky-don't hate me. Still have the 24 in Zildjian cymbal that came with it. First band "The Three Flames and A Spark"-remember playing "Wipe out" till I thought my arms would fall off-people couldn't get enough of it. We became popular locally fast (course I was 8 and adorable) but my Mom put the kibosh on it cause I was staying out too late-my eldest brother took over as their drummer and they changed their name to the Rogues or something-should have been Screw U. Finally got my drums back about 6 years later and played in garage bands through high school. Then lost interest except sporadically through college (I'd jam but couldn't keep up with a band, studies, and social life) but later in life my wife surprised me with a kit about 23 years ago-a Pearl Forum. It's been an incredible journey and I suck at drums, probably getting worse than better, but I'd like to keep sucking at drums as long as I can cause I just enjoy playing. I've earned to right to suck-taken me years of practice to master it. Moral of story-Sometimes you choke on that silver spoon. LOL.

Well my eldest brother (7 years older than I )would hit my middle brother (5 years older than I) who would then hit me so I then would hit my little sister (2 years younger)-it was like dominoes. So rather than hit my sister my parents gave me a punching bag (it was a clown) and pots and pans to beat on LOL. Dad bought me a blue sparkle Ludwig in 1963 when I was 8-yeah to be so lucky-don't hate me. Still have the 24 in Zildjian cymbal that came with it. First band "The Three Flames and A Spark"-remember playing "Wipe out" till I thought my arms would fall off-people couldn't get enough of it. We became popular locally fast (course I was 8 and adorable) but my Mom put the kibosh on it cause I was staying out too late-my eldest brother took over as their drummer and they changed their name to the Rogues or something-should have been Screw U. Finally got my drums back about 6 years later and played in garage bands through high school. Then lost interest except sporadically through college (I'd jam but couldn't keep up with a band, studies, and social life) but later in life my wife surprised me with a kit about 23 years ago-a Pearl Forum. It's been an incredible journey and I suck at drums, probably getting worse than better, but I'd like to keep sucking at drums as long as I can cause I just enjoy playing. I've earned to right to suck-taken me years of practice to master it. Moral of story-Sometimes you choke on that silver spoon. LOL.
Always enjoy your light-side, GA! :)

12? 13? Pillows around my bed being hit with my Mom's wooden cook spoons. Even tied some string through the cheap throw away pie plates, hung from the ceiling with tape.

I rocked!!!!

My parents just dipped their/my toes in the water with a set of bongo drums before I actually got my first set of gold sparkle Stewarts. There's a really embarrassing pic of me paying the bongos while wearing a white nehru shirt with a fake gold medallion. I was 9 and I don't know if I asked for the shirt or not. Either way it was a bad decision lol.

One time my bongo heads got real loose and flappy so I got my dad to help me. He wet the heads and dryed them over the cooktop flame. He told me to go in the other room because he didn't want me copying him doing that and setting his house on fire. I spied on him he he.

My parents just dipped their/my toes in the water with a set of bongo drums before I actually got my first set of gold sparkle Stewarts.
Everything was sparkle back then! Drums, dune-buggies, fibreglass rides at the fair, bicycle seats, motorcycle helmets. :)

lol Yes I had a silver sparkle star set as my first kit in about 1965!

My parents just dipped their/my toes in the water with a set of bongo drums before I actually got my first set of gold sparkle Stewarts. There's a really embarrassing pic of me paying the bongos while wearing a white nehru shirt with a fake gold medallion. I was 9 and I don't know if I asked for the shirt or not. Either way it was a bad decision lol.

One time my bongo heads got real loose and flappy so I got my dad to help me. He wet the heads and dryed them over the cooktop flame. He told me to go in the other room because he didn't want me copying him doing that and setting his house on fire. I spied on him he he.

Since we are about the same age we were probably rockin the Nehru thing at the same time. I had a brown Nehru jacket! I think it was just the stylish thing to wear at the time. In fact I wore it for a school picture one year!

Since we are about the same age we were probably rockin the Nehru thing at the same time. I had a brown Nehru jacket! I think it was just the stylish thing to wear at the time. In fact I wore it for a school picture one year!

Yea, IDK, 9 YO boys in 1968 didn't need to be stylish lol. Nehru shirts, bell bottom jeans, maltese crosses, medallions, and I shudder to think of this, but remember sashes? OMG how fruity. I truly have some embarrassing pics of bad clothing choices....pretty much my whole life lol.

Post your pics and I'll see if I can find mine lol.

Public airing of shameful pics...yea, let's do that!

And here it is! oh my! Included a classmate to show the year.

Attachments

• fifth grade picture rgb.jpg
    fifth grade picture rgb.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 139
Much of my sparkle hate that I harvest today stems back to those earlier years. :)

It's funny because I bought new drums about two years ago and CHOSE a silver/black sparkle for nostalgic reasons because of that first damn Star set!

Looks like some purple in this pic but not purple!

Attachments

• IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 137
You know, DR, I actually LIKE that silver/black sparkle colour! It doesn't look retro at all, not that I have anything against retro, just that some of that old blue and red sparkle damaged me. :)

Nice kit! Thanks for the pic!

And here it is! oh my! Included a classmate to show the year.

Brave man. You look fairly normal! I have to go through my albums. I have a pic where I wear a burnt orange and blackish paisley shirt with a shiny powder blue turtleneck underneath. Orange and blue baby, that's what I was rocking! This was my 4th grade school pic.

Thanks Mom for letting me walk out the door on picture day wearing THAT!

Nehru jacket, burnt orange and blackish paisley shirt with a shiny powder blue turtleneck under, you guys have nothing on me. :)

I have a picture of me playing that blue sparkle drum and cymbal wearing a funky blue polyester, long-sleeved shirt with an array of geometric patterns all over it. I'll need some time to go through a bunch of old photo albums to find it, and when I do I'll work on posting it!

You guys are in for a treat!

"Yea, IDK, 9 YO boys in 1968 didn't need to be stylish lol."

I wish someone would have told my mom that! I made up for it in high school. I mostly wore demin jackets or army surplus shirts. Think early Eagles!

Thanks Stroker. I like them a lot too and they play well with stage lights.

Back