Gavin Harrison here!

Mr. Gavin Harrison you are my idol ! i wish i can watch u live someday ! covering porcupine tree songs is what i do best now :p

Hello Gavin and to anyone else who attended this evenings' Steve Gadd clinic.

What a fantastic night, I've never seen Steve live before, and it's certainly something I'd like to do again.

Gavin, was there a highlight for you?

Mine was casually asking the one and only Steve Gadd to 'play some swing time for us' haha.

It was nice to see you, and thanks for saying hello.

Phil

I don't think that my perception of it is more complicated as opposed to yours. In fact I believe it's the same principle, just explained with different tempo's. It reminds me of a question I asked Gavin a couple of months back regarding Time Flies. Do you feel it like 6/8 or do you feel it like 4/4. Both have different tempo's but the end result would be the same. This is pretty much the same I think. I feel the tempo slower, you feel it faster. Both are "correct" I guess, though the feel is different.

I do understand what your saying, the only problem is that with 2 measures of 5/4 (90 bpm) you get 30 triplets, and with 4 measure of 4/4 (120 bpm) you get 32 8th notes, which at these respective tempos the triplets and eighth notes will line up perfectly, but your way of looking at "Occam's Razor" will come out a little earlier because the measures aren't quite long enough.

Instead of 5/4 it would have to be 15/8 plus 1/8, which is basically just 4/4.

Also I just listen to the tempo going into "Blind House", which is the same as "Occam's"

I do understand what your saying, the only problem is that with 2 measures of 5/4 (90 bpm) you get 30 triplets, and with 4 measure of 4/4 (120 bpm) you get 32 8th notes, which at these respective tempos the triplets and eighth notes will line up perfectly, but your way of looking at "Occam's Razor" will come out a little earlier because the measures aren't quite long enough.
Not sure if I understand the latter part. Are you saying that if I would consider the whole piece in 5/4, I would end a little earlier? If that is what you mean then I should say that I don't regard the full piece as 5/4. Though I admit that wouldn't hold up with the principle of Occam's Razor itself…

Hey Gavin,

I've been reading some of those posts from the link to the Coheed forum that was posted on PT's Twitter. Some of the responses are really nice and give good compliments, but some are really rude and say that they didn't like you guys. Back on tour did you ever wish that you had not been on that tour? Did you guys ever change some things on the setlist that might appeal to the Coheed fans more?

Thanks,
Branndon

Not sure if I understand the latter part. Are you saying that if I would consider the whole piece in 5/4, I would end a little earlier? If that is what you mean then I should say that I don't regard the full piece as 5/4. Though I admit that wouldn't hold up with the principle of Occam's Razor itself…

So check out the pictures I attached. Pic 2 is the 4/4 way(I had to crop out 2 measures of 8th notes because it wouldn't let me attach the file) and pic 3 is the 5/4 way. Now the 4/4 way is actually at about 132bpm and the 5/4 way is at about 81.3 or so bpm. When the files are played next to each other, the 5/4 way will be 2 eighth notes short. Count out the notes, and keep in mind that triplets at 81.3 bpm are basically equal to eighth notes at 132bpm.

In 2 measures of 5/4 there will be 30 eighth note triplets at 81.3 bpm
In 4 measures of 4/4 there will be 32 eighth notes at 132 bpm

So since there is a two eighth note difference in the ways, they will end up being played differently if repeated.

Did that explain it better?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,870
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,853
Hey Gavin!

Maybe this is an off-topic question, and I really don't expect you to remember such small details.

When I attended Porcupine Tree in Bergen, Norway the 9. of June this year, I was very lucky and was given one of your used drumsticks in the arena store.

Does these giveaway sticks come from certain sessions or are they just random sticks used by you?
I also bought an autographed head, what is the origin of this? Just used during the tour?

This has grown to become an important musical relic to me! : P

Thanks in advance!

Hi Gavin,

1. Is there some PT tracks that you don't use a click live? Can you name some?

2. Did you study music in a college or university?

3. If you would had to choose 1 Ride, 1 Crash and 1 Hi-Hat that you would play the rest of your life with, what would it be?

Thanks for inspiring me (and all the others) so much... You're the best!

Will

Gavin Harrison Guide

I have recently discovered Gavin Harrison and truly admire his playing in many ways.

I want to start listening to some of the music he has had a hand in but don't know where to start as my progressive music knowledge is limited and he has a vast catalogue.

Can anyone help and advise on some of his best work on your opinion?

To give you an idea of my tastes I take a lot from Steve Jordan, Benny Greb and Carter Beauford.

Thank you all.

Well, with Mike Portnoy leaving DT, there are not many Drummers who can replace him. Would be very interesting, if DT chose a handful of drummers to contribute to the new album, I would favour: Chad Wackerman, Morgan Agren, Danny Carey, Josh Freese and, of course, Gavin!

Gavin,

I'm curious - with Portnoy leaving Dream Theater, who do you think would be a good fit for the new drummer in DT? And do you think he will return at some point in the future? I also like astroandy's idea... if they had multiple drummers contribute, having you be on a DT album would be amazing!

Hi Gavin,

1. i was reading in this thread that you loved the sound of octabans. Why don't u incorporate them in one of your future tunes? I'd hear them well on a new tune with O5Ric :)
2. i was wondering why your collaboration with Incognito lasted for so short: your groove really fit that band to me.

thank u again

Hi, Gavin-

Hope the European leg of the Porcupine Tree tour is going well. I just ordered one of your Sonor signature snares and was wondering if you have been using one on tour.
How much input did you have on the snare, and what type of sound were you aiming for? Looking forward to getting mine!

Hi Gavin !
Your live performance in Athens was unbelievable! Maybe the best live performace by a band I have ever been to! Fantastic atmosphere and great energy from you all , you really made us have a great night !!! Congratulations again and we're looking forward to seeing you again!!!
Porcupine tree RULE-Z :D

Phil Brodermann

What a fantastic night, I've never seen Steve Gadd live before, and it's certainly something I'd like to do again. Gavin, was there a highlight for you?

here's my highlight

John Gav Gadd.jpg

Hi pixelbreaker

I've been reading some of those posts from the link to the Coheed forum that was posted on PT's Twitter. Some of the responses are really nice and give good compliments, but some are really rude and say that they didn't like you guys. Back on tour did you ever wish that you had not been on that tour? Did you guys ever change some things on the setlist that might appeal to the Coheed fans more?

We changed the setlist a bit from night to night - but we normally do that anyway. The Coheed guys were really nice - and I had some good chats with Chris Pennie.

Hi uniin

It's a bit of a long time ago but 6th of February this year you played a gig in Sydney, Australia and the PA died. You also did a magic trick where a stick magically appeared behind a small towel of some sort. How did you do this magic trick?

I could tell you - but then I'd have to kill you. Sorry.

Hi anders_slåke

When I attended Porcupine Tree in Bergen, Norway the 9. of June this year, I was very lucky and was given one of your used drumsticks in the arena store.
Does these giveaway sticks come from certain sessions or are they just random sticks used by you? I also bought an autographed head, what is the origin of this? Just used during the tour?

You may be surprised to know that there's no mystery to any of this. The sticks are ones that I have used on the show the night before and so are the drumheads.

Hi willregnier

1. Is there some PT tracks that you don't use a click live? Can you name some?

Yes

2. Did you study music in a college or university?

No

3. If you would had to choose 1 Ride, 1 Crash and 1 Hi-Hat that you would play the rest of your life with, what would it be?

I don't think I would want to limit the cymbals I might use for the rest of my life...BUT I would say the K Ride 20", 18" K Custom Crash and 13" K hi hats are very versatile.

Hi SnareSpectre

I'm curious - with Portnoy leaving Dream Theater, who do you think would be a good fit for the new drummer in DT? And do you think he will return at some point in the future?

I'm not familiar with Dream Theater's music - so I couldn't really tell you who would be a good fit.

Hi steste50

1. i was reading in this thread that you loved the sound of octabans. Why don't u incorporate them in one of your future tunes? I'd hear them well on a new tune with O5Ric :)

I might just do that - although I only have a pair of them.

2. i was wondering why your collaboration with Incognito lasted for so short: your groove really fit that band to me.

I had a great time playing in that band - but I was consistently broke - and we earnt very little money back then. I got offered a TV show 'house band' gig - so I took that and left Incognito.

Hi chipinene

I just ordered one of your Sonor signature snares and was wondering if you have been using one on tour. How much input did you have on the snare, and what type of sound were you aiming for?

I have used that drum a lot - as you may see on a lot of YouTube videos. I didn't design the drum at all - and it's not a 'signature' model - even though confusingly my signature appears on the drum. It's a 'special edition' reissue of one of their old Designer drums from the 90's.

cheers
Gavin

Back