Allan Holdsworth passes.

It was today. Many mutual friends, so it's all over FB.

Very sad.

18010258_1693386220961311_2524479473952273267_n.jpg

Sad day, but why do people on here insist on saying "Passes". Passes what? He died, is there something wrong with simply stating the obvious?

Sad day, but why do people on here insist on saying "Passes". Passes what? He died, is there something wrong with simply stating the obvious?

Passes on.
It is more polite and people who are affected are somewhat comforted by the less brutal use of language.

You know, I thought the same way as you did. But when my grandma died a couple years ago, and I called in my boss to tell her I wasn't coming in, I felt myself starting to completely break down when I began to say "My grandma died." I switched to "My grandma passed" and I kept my composure.

At that moment, I finally understood why people use that phrase.

Yea because you don't really die, you aren't even close to done.

Incredible musician. Discovered his music back in the 80s.

Saw him in concert at a small club a few years ago with Chad Wackerman on drums.

Sad news.

Very sad. Huge loss. Dead Of Night by UK is one off my very favourite prog rock albums. Guitar solos are amazing. Rock On Allen!

Sad day.....I saw him with the New Tony Williams Lifetime. What a player. Que up "Red Alert" or "Fred" on youtube. Pretty awesome stuff. He'll be sadly missed.

I met Allan a few times, very down to earth, great sense of humour. He was a genius on guitar,used some of the best drummers on the planet.RIP

I walked into a record store on day in 1977 and the guy working there was playing a record that both the drumming and guitar playing blew my mind, Believe It, The Tony Williams Lifetime with Alan Holdsworth. The first jazz record I ever bought. That record opened my ears to jazz. Thank you Alan Holdsworth. RIP.

Got to see him one time at Rams Head in Annapolis with Chad Wackerman on drums. What an amazing musician, such a unique approach and sound. RIP

I just realized why RIP sorta bothers me when I read it. To show the proper respect for the departed, I believe I can take the time to spell it out, doesn't need a short abbreviation. Im not making a comment on others use of the abbreviation, just for me personally.

Rest in peace, Allan Holdsworth.

Even after he has left us, his music and legacy, all in holds worth to me.

Last edited:
Too bad. John Wetton a few weeks ago. Now this. One of the great texture players in my book. I caught UK in Albany in 1979 and sat in row 2 center at the Madison Theatre. Those guys were players man.....

There have been some really touching posts on Facebook about Allan by Gary Husband. Clearly he loved Allan dearly as a musician but also like a brother.

I have to say that the concert I saw in Detroit with Allan featuring Gary on drums stands to this day as one of the most memorable musical experiences I've had. They just seemed to be opening a portal to another musical dimension during that show. It seemed nothing was impossible and incredible moments of inspiration kept coming faster than I could process them.

Definitely a huge loss. RIP, Allan.

One of my favourite drummers of all-time(who i learned from as well) Virgil Donati played with Alan Holdsworth,
Does anyone know what he died from?.

Back