Like I need this...

M

Mike_In_KC

The highway that I drive on every day has had 13 random shootings in the last two months, no one has been killed yet - KC police believe there is a sniper on the loose. Now I have to find a different way to work that will add 20 minutes to my commute! The police are offering a $7000 reward for info leading to the capture - 7 grand is all? Sheesh...

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/...ighway-shootings/28170/DTmdVnUSFEmyeuMyzf9VMg

The article's headline says 6 shootings but the article itself cites 13 shootings... good times.

MM

That's creepy stuff. Pretty big news, but I haven't heard/seen anything about it here on the east coast. I guess too busy talking about Putin and the false airplane blips and Oscar Pistorius. Brings back memories of the I-95 snipers a few years back (Malvo and whatever the other guy's name was). That was my neck-o-the-woods. And where they caught them was practically spitting distance from my sister-in-law's. Stay safe Bro.

This stuff combined with the school shootings and now stabbings - I predict a new psychological disorder - PTSD - not POST traumatic stress disorder but PRE traumatic stress disorder. People are going to be so afraid to drive on highways or send their kids to schools, or attend theaters for fear of being killed.

That's creepy stuff. Pretty big news, but I haven't heard/seen anything about it here on the east coast. I guess too busy talking about Putin and the false airplane blips and Oscar Pistorius. Brings back memories of the I-95 snipers a few years back (Malvo and whatever the other guy's name was). That was my neck-o-the-woods. And where they caught them was practically spitting distance from my sister-in-law's. Stay safe Bro.

It was John Allen Muhammed...........complete POS

This stuff combined with the school shootings and now stabbings - I predict a new psychological disorder - PTSD - not POST traumatic stress disorder but PRE traumatic stress disorder. People are going to be so afraid to drive on highways or send their kids to schools, or attend theaters for fear of being killed.

Getting crazy

jokes aside, Oscar doesn't have a leg to stand on...

When your time is up, it's up. I refuse to be paralyzed by worry. If it is destined for me to die by a sniper, so be it. I have no control over that. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy what I can. Your spirit and energy doesn't die when your body gives out.

Perhaps you should invest in a Kevlar vest. Or an APC.

Do you have a motorcycle? It would reduce your target size significantly, you can "hide" beside bigger vehicles, and would serve as a good hi speed get me out of here vehicle.

This stuff (thankfully) is utterly alien to me, & quite unbelievable. Why would anyone want to do that?

Agreed though, letting something like this shape what you do, is to be avoided if at all possible. Granted, difficult to ignore though :(

This stuff (thankfully) is utterly alien to me, & quite unbelievable. Why would anyone want to do that?

Agreed though, letting something like this shape what you do, is to be avoided if at all possible. Granted, difficult to ignore though :(

How many gun deaths in England annually? I have no use for gun. For hunting, protection, etc. I don't get it. I enjoy being manly in other ways :)

How many gun deaths in England annually? I have no use for gun. For hunting, protection, etc. I don't get it. I enjoy being manly in other ways :)

More people die in automobile related instances each year in the US than guns. Do you own a car? A gun is safer.

Sorry, but that conclusion does not follow logically. Just consider the amount of time Americans spend in cars per year compared to using firearms. If we were to simply add up the total number of deaths caused by something per year we'd erroneously conclude that swallowing arsenic is safer because fewer people die that way.

Sorry, but that conclusion does not follow logically. Just consider the amount of time Americans spend in cars per year compared to using firearms. If we were to simply add up the total number of deaths caused by something per year we'd erroneously conclude that swallowing arsenic is safer because fewer people die that way.

It is a statistical fact. Not only do more people die from automobile related deaths each year, there are more registered firearms than registered vehicles in the US. Just about everyone I know owns both, with gun ownership higher in each individual. They have all been involved in some sort of vehicle related accident, with two of them losing their lives. I only know one person who was in a firearm related incident, and that was self inflicted.

Guns are not bad. Stupid people with guns are bad. Yet responsible people with cars can inadvertently kill someone, and do everyday, but we don't see this as bad. Don't blame the machine, blame the operator.

When your time is up, it's up. I refuse to be paralyzed by worry. If it is destined for me to die by a sniper, so be it. I have no control over that. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy what I can. Your spirit and energy doesn't die when your body gives out.

Noooooooo! We will not tolerate that kind of free thinking attitude. You must live in FEAR!

I fear no mortal man.

Well, metaphorically speaking, when you invite a vampire into your home, don't be surprised if it wants to suck all your blood. Its not going to change its ways just because you were nice to it. It's a vampire.

It is a statistical fact.

I didn't say it wasn't a fact, it's a non sequitur and the conclusion does not follow from the premise. It is also a fact that orders of magnitude fewer people die from swallowing arsenic than die from firearms. That does not make it safer. Also, the plural of anecdote is not data. What you and I have experienced personally are necessarily the statistical norms. What I have experienced in this area is not the same as what you have but I am not going to claim that mine is the norm. We have dispassionate statistics for that. If we look at man-hour usage rates versus death, we find the exact opposite of your conclusion. I don't wish to get into an argument over this and will just point out that we need to make an apples to apples comparison.

Another one of those stupid operators struck in my home town again recently - this time a few minutes away from my house.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/us/kansas-jewish-center-shooting/

The recent shooting at the Jewish Community center, combined with the sniper still on the loose has made our normally peaceful mid-west city one giant jagged edge.

I saw that and was wondering if maybe it is the same guy. The reports didn't mention anything about a connection. I wonder if they have even considered it?

Back