Protection Racket AAA cases for rim mount toms

Tiff

Hi,

I've got a Gretsch Renown '57 kit and looking to get a set of Protection Racket AAA cases for it. The 10x8" and 12x9" mounted toms have rim mounts but it doesn't look like PR make specific AAA cases for rim mounted toms (although they do for their soft cases). Does anyone out there know if the toms will fit in the 10x8 and 12x9 AAA cases OK?

Thanks.

Chris.

If you can't find what you are looking for with the Protection Racket cases, check out the Ahead Armor cases. They are teardrop shaped to accomodate RIMS style mounting systems and are a breeze to use. I've been using mine for about a year now and I'm very happy with them. They are very well made as well and reasonably priced also. Very similar to the protection Racket cases IMO.

Hi mls,

Thanks for the reply and info. In the end I took a chance and bought the 10" and 12" AAA cases. I can confirm that they do fit, although the 10" is a bit of a tight squeeze!

On a related note, although the AAA cases are a bit pricey, they seem incredibly well made and hopefully they will protect the drums in all but the most extreme circumstances.

LeftyDoug - Thanks for the info. Maybe I should have gone for the Ahead because as I mentioned, the 10" is a bit tight and the teardrop shape seems like a good idea. Too late now though and the AAA's are lovely cases.

Thanks,

Chris.

Last edited:
That's worrying. They seem fine to me but must admit they haven't had a lot of use yet. I don't suppose you were told what the issues were and whether they were quality related or just difficulty in manufacturing them? I might email PR and see what they say, although I suspect not much! Thanks for the info.
Chris.

Can't account for the AAA cases, but honestly, if they are built half as well as their soft bags are you'll have nothing to worry about.

The workmanship that goes into the materials, padding, stitching and lining etc of the bags is second to none. The AAA cases look like they've just added an internal rigid mold to the bags. I'd be really surprised to hear that "manufacturing issues" equates to a quality issue.....more likely to be any number of logistical problems keeping them from Aussie stores.

Keep us posted mls.......I'm not looking for any personally, but always like to keep a handle on what's available in Oz and what we have to send away for.

I emailed PR yesterday evening and had a reply very quickly. Apparently the manufacturing problem only related to pre-production bass drum cases in 2010 so I'm not sure why Australia is having problems getting them.

mls - sorry that you are having problems contacting PR as my experience has been the opposite. I'm really glad that I bought PR as their customer service has been excellent so far. I used the email address [email protected] if that's any help.

Chris.

Last edited:
Hi mls,

Approximate diameters as follows
10": inner = 32cm, outer = 38cm
12": inner = 38cm, outer = 44cm

Let me know if you need any other info.Cheers, Chris

I'm at work at the moment so haven't got the cases handy. However, I can say that the 'screw' of the mounting sytem protrudes into the fleece lining but I can still zip the case shut. I'lll try and post a pic to show you what I mean but it may not be for a day or so.

No worries, and you're not getting annoying. I also fired off a few emails to PR to double check they would fit before I took the plunge. I think the 10" could do with being an inch bigger but as stated, it does fit (just!) - see pic. For info, the distance the 'wing nut' protrudes about 9cm. Cheers, Chris.

Attachments

• GretschInPR_10Tomsml.jpg
    GretschInPR_10Tomsml.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 850
Last edited:
Back