Alternate Ride Cymbal Mouting Options - Atlas Scissor Lift?

Michael Madio

Pioneer Member
I'm contemplating trying to use a Ludwig Atlas Scissor Lift to mount a ride cymbal from a floor tom leg. Ludwig shows this on their site but I'm curious to know if anyone has actually tried it, knows how stable it is, and has any feedback on it at all.

I'm contemplating trying to use a Ludwig Atlas Scissor Lift to mount a ride cymbal from a floor tom leg. Ludwig shows this on their site but I'm curious to know if anyone has actually tried it, knows how stable it is, and has any feedback on it at all.

Yes, I have and yes you can. Currently, I'm running a 19" crash off the floor tom. But in my case I'm using the actual upper lug. That works great with no issues.

If I was using a leg, which I can't because they're 3/8, I see no problem.

See the pics I posted in the thread above/below that I just bumped. Scroll down.

(I can't upload at work) but I will if you need to see more.

This would be so cool to try. No stands at all

This what I was attempting to copy with my kit

And if I could ever pull this kit off, I would do it in a heartbeat

If you don't have the larger diameter legs, you will have to purchase an Atlas mount and replace a lug, You also need a rod (they come in various lengths) and the scissor lift mounts on the rod.

I did this with my 16" floor tom and I have a 20" ride on it. Eliminates a stand for that cymbal.
I also replaced the vibrabands that my set came with, and the atlas mounts look much cleaner IMHO, and still provide isolation.

Villiage Drum in RI has a classic maple with the Atlas mount rail consolette. No holes in the bass drum-- Sweeeet..

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 963
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 940
Last edited:
Great idea, but you can't max out your FT legs and still mount.

Also isn't it illegal in some states to mount a cymbal off a FT leg?

Can see ATLAS floor tom'ers having to size up their bags/cases, holy frijoles! How many inches does that ATLAS mount add to the FT's profile?

Attachments

• Picture 1000.jpg
    Picture 1000.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,295
Can see ATLAS floor tom'ers having to size up their bags/cases, holy frijoles! How many inches does that ATLAS mount add to the FT's profile?[/QUOTE]

You need to up the bag size by 2 sizes because the 3 brackets comprise the full circumference of the drum. I have them on my bass drum but only at the top therefore only had to go up one size for the bag.

Yes, it helps to have larger bags. I use a 16X18 PR bag for my 16X16. The extra 2 inches helps loading the drum with or without mounts. Heck, my 3 Keystone brackets stick out nearly as much. I use a 18X24 bass drum bag for my 18X22 too. I also had my former kits' 14X24 in that bag too with no worries.

I've always found it very useful to upsize, even the PR bags made for 'rims'. I like to be able to easliy slip them in instead of forcing them in past the zippers. Drop and zip makes pack up at 2 am so much easier. Bending over to fight zippers at that time would not make me happy.

Back