Resonating Sticks

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I've recently decided to stick with Vater because they're the only stick producer that makes maple sticks.

Why Maple? Because it literally sounds better. It's generally known that various things affect how wood vibrates, like dampening and such, and sticks are no exception. Grip heavy dictates how your sticks sound when you hit your drums with them, but what's equally as important is what the sticks are made out of.

Maple is a very popular wood in making drums because it resonates well. If this is true for shells, it's just as true for sticks. Hickory, in contrast to maple, is much stronger, more rigid, but it doesn't resonate as well or in the same way as maple. Thus, when a properly gripped hickory drum stick hits a head, it will sound different, if not have a less desirable sound, than when a maple stick strikes the head.

So, this is effectively blasphemy against Vic Firth and the like. Oh well.

Anyone in agreement?

I can't see how it would matter. The stick should rebound off the head very quickly to allow the head/drum to resonate. That's why a tight grip probably affects the sound, because if you grip tightly then the stick can't rebound as quickly and therefore mutes the drum. As long as the stick gets out of the head's way as soon as possible everything should be good... And no mic or ears are going to hear the DRUMSTICK resonating... the drum/head make the sound, not the stick.

I can't see how it would matter. The stick should rebound off the head very quickly to allow the head/drum to resonate. That's why a tight grip probably affects the sound, because if you grip tightly then the stick can't rebound as quickly and therefore mutes the drum. As long as the stick gets out of the head's way as soon as possible everything should be good... And no mic or ears are going to hear the DRUMSTICK resonating... the drum/head make the sound, not the stick.

Don't agree. The stick affects the sound greatly. Try recording with two different *size* sticks of the same wood, same brand, on the same drums. The drums and the cymbals will sound much different.

To the OP: Every manufacturer out there is making maple sticks, including Vic Firth.

But is it the resonance of the sticks that are making the difference? Or the weight change affecting the velocity? Or the bead shape/size changing the surface area at point of contact? etc.

Weight, taper, bead, length all have a factor in the sound of a drum. So does head type and tuning, flange, straight or die cast hoops......

The different types of "sound" a stick makes is really only apparent on cymbals (hats, rides, maybe crashes) between wood types.On a drum, the Maple might have a sligthly "softer" attack sound, and Oak might have a "brighter" or "crisper" attack sound.
On a cross stick, the type of stick WILL make a difference in sound, and it's up to a user which they like better.

Interesting theory, but I think the OP is digging a little too deeply, and yes, every major stick manufacturer offers Maple sticks.

Keep those ideas flowing!!

Different woods obviously produce different sounds, but there's virtually no way that you're gonna be able to hear the stick resonate over the sound of the drums/cymbals. If you sit down at a practice pad though, you'll definitely be able to hear the sticks resonate. Thats one of my favorite sounds of all time, the singing of drum sticks.

Thus, when a properly gripped hickory drum stick hits a head, it will sound different, if not have a less desirable sound, than when a maple stick strikes the head.

If your ear can pick the difference between a maple and hickory drum stick when it strikes the drum head Coldie, then you're a better man than I. Especially when you throw other instruments into the mix. I use Vater sticks too....including a few maple pairs, but I use them 'cos I like the feel....not becuase they sound better on a drum head.

Thanks for the heads up that maple sticks aren't an exclusive.

Really, the differences between how sticks make sound on a drum or cymbal compared to other sticks depends on various other parameters, as many have mentioned, but what a stick is made out of is probably the one thing that influences the sound the most. Sticks don't resonate like a shell when the head is hit, they resonate at contact and maybe the most infinitely small amount after you strike the head. The weight also affects how they resonate, and how they strike the head, and how it causes the head to vibrate. Maple sounds way different than hickory.

So, the stick's resonant qualities aren't important like a shell's resonant qualities, but they should be paid attention to. How it interacts with a head is just as important as how the head interacts with the shell.

I ran a little experiment.
2 stick. each ProMark 5Bs - 1-Japanese Oak; 2-Hickory
Practice Pad: HQ RealFeel

I used my right hand for both. I hit the pad fairly hard.

Listen to the difference

Since the pad is solid, the sound differences are not due to the affect of the stick on the pad. The sound difference emanates from each sticks resonance...
my 2 cents

Attachments

• sticksound..mov
    915 KB · Views: 166
Thank you very much for the sounds, Chip.

I think that clip kind of had that "I rest my case" effect for me.

I would think that a stick resonating in your hand would cause hand fatigue among other things. Isn't that why there are sticks made with absorption qualities to keep from wearing your hands out? I will agree that different sticks make different sounds but I don't think I want a stick vibrating too much in my hands.

Zildjian Anti-Vibe Drumsticks contain a patented feature that effectively reduces key vibrations. By reducing the amount of vibration present in the struck stick, the Anti-Vibe drumstick is easier to play and more comfortable for many players, than standard sticks. The stick maintains it's conventional lacquer finish and appearance, while the vibration absorption technology is contained out of the way, inside the butt-end of the stick.

I don't know anything about wood. However, I have always preferred sticks made from wood that feels light. I had a pair of Eagle 5As that I really liked. I have a pair of Pro Mark LA Special 7A sticks that are hickory (it says so on the stick) that I like.

Dunno what the wood type is but if the wood is not dense, then I like it. The above sticks seem to have nice resonance on a practice pad.

On a practice pad, no doubt. I'm just not convinced that you'd notice that kind of difference off a drum head where there are more resonating factors than just the sticks.

I'm in the other camp PFG... Just Like I KNOW that tradtional grip is the only true grip, I also know that stick resonance is a fact... @:) Just Kidding! (Oh, yes, and Macs are better than Windows!)

Two schools of thought. A lot of factors, one big one being your personal playing style. JoJo Mayer talks about it a little bit in his "Weapons for the Modern Drummer" video. Personally, think it's an interesting subject to pursue..

Me and CHS will continue the conversation! @:)) lol

I don't know anything about wood. However, I have always preferred sticks made from wood that feels light. I had a pair of Eagle 5As that I really liked. I have a pair of Pro Mark LA Special 7A sticks that are hickory (it says so on the stick) that I like.

Dunno what the wood type is but if the wood is not dense, then I like it. The above sticks seem to have nice resonance on a practice pad.

Lighter less dense sticks are going to absorb some of the energy and shock. I have noticed that with the few Zildjian sticks I have. Not sure of the lumber but they do feel lighter than most.

p.s. Mac is better than Windows. Google has just told all of their employees that they can only use Mac or Linus from now on. 8+)

Lighter less dense sticks are going to absorb some of the energy and shock. I have noticed that with the few Zildjian sticks I have. Not sure of the lumber but they do feel lighter than most.

p.s. Mac is better than Windows. Google has just told all of their employees that they can only use Mac or Linus from now on. 8+)

Actually, they're pushing for employees to use Google's Chrome OS, internally. Sounds like a little bit of bias to me...not technological pragmatism. ;)

I can tell the difference coming out of the drums on my recording, when using hickory or maple. It's quite noticeable but that's because I spend a lot of time behind my drums, recording. If I asked a band mate, they'd probably laugh it off. I doubt anyone but a drummer or a recording engineer can tell what type of sticks you're using. But, when examining the minute details of your playing...the type of stick you use has a pretty huge impact on how your drums and cymbals sound.

I doubt any of us have the ears to pick up the resonance of the stick itself, in a band setting. It's definitely apparent when sitting down in a quite room and playing on a practice pad.

Actually, they're pushing for employees to use Google's Chrome OS, internally. Sounds like a little bit of bias to me...not technological pragmatism. ;)

I can tell the difference coming out of the drums on my recording, when using hickory or maple. It's quite noticeable but that's because I spend a lot of time behind my drums, recording. If I asked a band mate, they'd probably laugh it off. I doubt anyone but a drummer or a recording engineer can tell what type of sticks you're using. But, when examining the minute details of your playing...the type of stick you use has a pretty huge impact on how your drums and cymbals sound.

I doubt any of us have the ears to pick up the resonance of the stick itself, in a band setting. It's definitely apparent when sitting down in a quite room and playing on a practice pad.

So true... I am on the, "it-does-make-a-difference" side of the fence, but putting things in perspective I could see both of us at a RUSH concert and one look at the other and say, "Wow, It sounds like Neil is using Hickory tonight!" lol

Caveat: Yes, but doesn't the Chrome OS run on special hardware that technically has a Unix platform..? Believe so..

Back