Drumnetics, anyone???

davige

Hey all. Does anyone own or tried the Drumnetics (http://www.drumnetics.com) pedals yet? They use magnetic repulsion instead of springs. Just wanted to get some feedback from real people before deciding on what new pedals to get. I have DW5000's that are 10+ years old, and I want something responsive and quick, and frankly setting the springs on pedals is such a pain in the ass.

Thanks.

Davige

Hmmmmm... looks intresting but i don't think i'd lke them. But i suppose you never knkow till you try. I've never even heard of them before let alone tried them out, so i have no ideo what they will be like

After 10 years... I'd have my (extremely infrequent) adjustments down. I tend to set it, and forget it.

Drumnetics isn't the answer. Get a Trick pedal. One gigantic compression spring adjustment knob, it's a no brainer. Turn it right, turn it left...all from a seated position. The drumnetics don't have a range of adjustment. All the drumnetics is, is a gimmick for a different form of restorative force, not some breakthrough in actual playability.( Much like the air pressure pedal.) You will not be reading about a widespread use of the drumnetics in the metal community. Or the jazz community for that matter. OTOH, the tricks (especially bigfoot) are selling very well. Ease of use and adjustability is a big part of it. Playability is the biggest part.

Last edited:
These look cool, but I'm a sucker for anything out of the norm. I'd say give them a try as long as there's a return policy. I like that there's fewer moving parts and that you can adjust the resistance. A lot of people will dismiss new and different things just because no one else is using them. But magnets have been used for all sorts of applications, many of them much more sophisticated than a bass drum pedal, so it is not such a revolutionary concept. It's just a revolutionary proposition to get drummers to try different things.

"We understand any desire to "try before you buy" and want to accommodate that as much as possible. What you've heard about us is going to be useful, but you're the one who will know what's right for you in the end. So we'd like you to try our pedal using our 15 day trial and money back guarantee policy. From the day it arrives, you'll have two weeks to experiment with it, jam with it, gig with it and get the feel of it, which is what you realy want; we know that. If you don't find our pedals to your liking, simply return it for a full refund, with the understanding that the pedal is received undamaged and in its original condition." $269 for a single pedal. $659.99/ double.

I am not that curious about it, maybe because it seems limited, like a BOA, which I don't like at all. The reason people gravitate toward pedals pros use isn't just hero worship, it's a known quantity. Note that you don't see a bunch of pros using the crapapault or the boa. There is a good reason for that, and they are coincidentally, new technologies that won't ever take off. They just don't work for me either.

Someone will have to buy a drumnetics and let me know how it works. I'll wait for the inevitable reviews.

Of course, the bigfoot is a little out of the norm, given all that went into it. I am just glad I didn't pay anywhere near sale price.

Last edited:
Thx guys. Question: The Trick V1 Long boards look amazing, but can you get a triplet feel with them, ie: Bonham or fusion type stuff?

Thx guys. Question: The Trick V1 Long boards look amazing, but can you get a triplet feel with them, ie: Bonham or fusion type stuff?

With greater ease than a speed king. Better mechanical advantage, higher fluidity and less friction. No squeaking either.

I am not that curious about it, maybe because it seems limited, like a BOA, which I don't like at all. The reason people gravitate toward pedals pros use isn't just hero worship, it's a known quantity. Note that you don't see a bunch of pros using the crapapault or the boa. There is a good reason for that, and they are coincidentally, new technologies that won't ever take off. They just don't work for me either.

Someone will have to buy a drumnetics and let me know how it works. I'll wait for the inevitable reviews.

Of course, the bigfoot is a little out of the norm, given all that went into it. I am just glad I didn't pay anywhere near sale price.

I agree that a known quantity is generally a good thing, but not always. There are plenty of examples of good ideas and new technologies that didn't become widespread because of politics, economics, financing, competitive skulduggery, regulations and other reasons that had nothing to do with their merits as a product. In other words, there are plenty of good products that don't make it to market, plenty of bad ones that do, and the reverse as well. You'd think, for example, that a pedal line that habitually squeaked would be out of business, but they sell like hotcakes and squeak right along on some of the most famous recordings ever; there's not accounting for taste.

So, just because 99 percent of a group uses a certain product doesn't necessarily mean it is superior or that other technologies are inferior. It only means the majority of people use it, that's all. Investigation of the particular product, its technology and claims is warranted. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd be willing to give the Drumnetics a chance. Anything with fewer moving parts already has some advantages. And it is, in fact, adjustable - I don't know where you got it in your head that it's not.

Anything with fewer moving parts already has some advantages. And it is, in fact, adjustable - I don't know where you got it in your head that it's not.

Maybe it is a better mousetrap.

The drumnetics pedal page hasn't done enough to aswage my doubt. It looks like they reposition the (fixed) magnet, but it leaves me justifiably skeptical about the range of "tension" adjustments. I cannot access it from here, but I am hoping they/youtube has a video that shows that they are somehow equally capable as a standard pedal to tweak the restorative force. But restorative force alone doesn't a pedal make. It's also responsiveness, feel, action etc.

When they post a video, or I get credible testimony that this thing eats all other pedals for lunch and maybe wins a WFD competition in the process, I'll buy some. Until then, I carry a healthy skepticism.

Hello all, I work for the Drumnetics company and would like to clear up any misconceptions you may have about the pedal.

First of all, yes we are a small company, and we aren't about to tell you that all other pedals are junk compared to ours. What we do offer is a high quality, American made pedal that is the first and only to use magnets instead of springs.

The magnets are very adjustable and offer a wide range of tension settings. The pedal board magnet adjusts the alignment of the two magnets, while the base plate adjusts the distance between them. The magnets never touch each other and will not break due to normal playing.

The magnets used are Neodymium magnets, and do not wear out over time. Yes heat can cause them to break down, but we are talking about excessive heat, not the "I left my pedal in a hot car on a summer day" type of heat. They are held in place using aluminum covers, making it very difficult to take a direct hit from something. Dropping the pedal on the floor would not break the magnets.

We do offer a 15 day trial and money back guarantee policy so you can try one out.

I will try to answer any other questions you may have.

I'm concerned about the price. One pedal is 270.00, so two would be 540.00, and it costs 120.00 for connecting hardware???

The only thing I find really interesting is the connecting rod they came up with for the double. The joints seem really interesting, ordinary U-joints were always a compromise.
This could also be where those additional $120 come from.

The only thing I find really interesting is the connecting rod they came up with for the double. The joints seem really interesting, ordinary U-joints were always a compromise.
This could also be where those additional $120 come from.

I've played the Drumnetics pedal at the past few NAMM shows. I think the double was new last year and I remember remarking that the connector felt very 'direct' with no lag.

BTW, Trick's double pedal connecting hardware is $200, so $120 isn't that high.

Bermuda

That explains some things then. Could be a smart move if they sold the connecting rod separately, and made it compatible with most pedals.

I guess its a matter of comparison then. The DW pedals for istance, the 8000 double is twice the single, the 9000 is actually less than 2 singles.

Hello all, I work for the Drumnetics company and would like to clear up any misconceptions you may have about the pedal.

First of all, yes we are a small company, and we aren't about to tell you that all other pedals are junk compared to ours. What we do offer is a high quality, American made pedal that is the first and only to use magnets instead of springs.

The magnets are very adjustable and offer a wide range of tension settings. The pedal board magnet adjusts the alignment of the two magnets, while the base plate adjusts the distance between them. The magnets never touch each other and will not break due to normal playing.

The magnets used are Neodymium magnets, and do not wear out over time. Yes heat can cause them to break down, but we are talking about excessive heat, not the "I left my pedal in a hot car on a summer day" type of heat. They are held in place using aluminum covers, making it very difficult to take a direct hit from something. Dropping the pedal on the floor would not break the magnets.

We do offer a 15 day trial and money back guarantee policy so you can try one out.

I will try to answer any other questions you may have.

What if your arch enemy brings a demagnetizer to your gig?

I've played the earlier version, was impressed, especially with the adjustable strap. I don't see the adjustable strap on the new model, what happened to it, is it still an available option?

I own the Nucleus3 and Mike made adjustable links for me, but the new model has a solid link which has been made to a length well-suited to the new design. It plays so smooth and effortless, and with such a natural feel it is beyond the Nucleus3 by quite a leap.

If Mike gets this new design into production I truly believe it will consign spring-based pedals to the dark ages. With the footboard magnets, and now the axle magnets this device, literally, almost plays itself. I cannot help but call it the Velvet Rocket to Mars. I have never been able to play quads and quints so easily. I have a modified Nucleus with the axle magnets. Having played the new 3XF my pedals are very close, but still, the new design is even smoother and faster and more immediate, stroke for stroke.

I do not exaggerate when I say this pedal will create the biggest stir in pedals since the stage was lit up with the original Speed King in 1937. People were completely blown away at 2012 summer NAMM. No joke. This device is a serious unit.

Back