INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

New to these forums

How long have you been playing: Since I was 18
Origin of user name: My nickname
Your top 5 drummers: Daniel Adair, Zac Farro, Ben Jolliffe, Travis Barker, Chad Smith
Make of drum kit: Mapex M Birch (Upgrading Soon!)
Make of cymbal: Sabian (Getting new ones soon)
Where do you practice: In a rehearsal space in town or sometimes in my garage.
Are you in a band: In Elegance - https://www.facebook.com/ineleganceni
What style of music: Alt Rock
Favorite take out food: Hm, probably Dominos :)
What country do you live in: Northern Ireland
How did you start drumming: One of my best mates was making some music on garageband and was saying that he thinks that I'd be a good drummer so I started looking at drum stuff, information, tips etc.. for what I could start on. Finally got a drum kit after hearing the drum solo in Sha la la la by Thin Lizzy. Haven't looked back since.

I'm also associated with Online Drummer as well, just thought I'd look up some more stuff and meet some more people!

Nice to be here and I'll see you guys around :)

Re: New to these forums

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you! Post some pics of your kits if you get a chance.

Thanks for the welcome! That was quick.

Here's my kit :)

img0646tp.jpg

Cool kit, and I'm lovin' the industrial look to your practice space. Welcome to Drummerworld.​

Love that color! Very nice.

Real name -- Scott Martinson
Age -- 38
How long have you been playing-- 0 days, my first lessons start in a week or so
Origin of user name -- A combination of my real first name and it rhymes with Spotify so I figured why not.
Your top 5 drummers -- Let's see; Jason Rullo, Brann Dailor, Dennis Chambers, Neal Peart and Daniel Erlandsson
Make of drumkit -- I don't have one yet, just a pair of sticks and a practice pad
Make of cymbal? -- see above
Where do you practice? -- in my living room or in the spare bedroom, will likely be relegated to the garage soon enough.
Are you in a band? -- No, not yet
Do you play covers or originals?
What style of music?
Favourite take out food? -- Local Chinese take out called Fortune Cookie, best eggrolls ever.
What country do you live in? -- USA, Boulder, CO area
One really odd fact about yourself? -- I'm really very twitchy by nature, it really takes me a lot to not move some appendage at some point. I figured learning to drum would help with that. I've been playing guitar for nearly 30 years now and have always had a secret romance with drums and drummers and I just thought 38 may not be too old to start.
How did you start drumming? -- It's almost a mid-life crisis story, instead of going out and buying the Porsche or the $5000 PRS I decided to seek out a local teacher and get some lessons going.

Noob intro

Hi, I'm brand new. Just joined up yesterday.

I'm 24, been playing on and off since high school. Mostly off. Just got in my first "real", band. Maybe. lol! Still haven't played our first gig though. Been in lots of crappy start ups.

I've got no formal education at drumming. I just play.

Love the forum. Always been kind of hesitant about'em though, other than reading them. Afraid I might get hooked. I already have a serious video game problem. lol!

Music I like? Everything really, but I'd rather play funk than anything else. Unfortunately I kind of suck at it. Gettin better though!

Out!

Flak

Hi there drummers and warm greetings from Australia.
Real name – Pete Charlesworth
Age -- 66
How long have you been playing— on & off around 30 years
Your top 5 drummers – Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson, Brian Bennett, Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, David Jones (yeah I know, that’s 6 – I’m a drummer – can’t count!!)
Make of drumkit – Pearl Masters Studio Birch (6 piece), Premier Genista (UK model) 5 piece including a Premier Artist Birch snare, Yamaha DTXpress IV special, Traps 5 piece
Make of cymbal? – Currently ALL Sabian (HH, HHX, evolution HHX)
Where do you practice? – Tiny home studio (ex-bedroom) & at rehearsal studios with bands
Are you in a band? – Yes, 2 Big Bands, a jazz/latin lounge band, a Shadows tribute band (I also play keyboards in a 3 piece with my son & daughter)
Do you play any other instruments? Keyboards, harmonica
Do you play covers or originals? Mostly covers
What style of music? Jazz, pop, rock. Latin, blues
Favourite take out food? – Indian, Chinese, Thai
What country do you live in? – Australia (for 38 years – originally from UK)
How did you start drumming? – At the age of 16 (much to my parents’ disgust) my favourite instrument was always drums.
My parents (bless them) used to ask me “….why don’t you take up a real instrument like piano or guitar?...” (there are a few drummer jokes like that….) but they gave me full support in getting my first kit back in 1965, & I loved them for that!!!

Cheers

Pete :)

Re: Noob intro

Welcome to our little slice of madness :) We like pics so post some of your kit when you have a chance!

Re: Noob intro

Thanks guys! I may post some general "drummer in a band" questions later. I'm really looking for experience. There's so much info here it's crazy, but good!

Real name? Virgil
Age? 31
How long have you been playing? I've had a kit for years, but have only started to take the drums seriously just a little over a year ago.
Origin of user name? No significant origin really. It's about the only cool thing that I can do with such an uncommon real name.
Your top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, KJ Sawka, Jojo Mayer, Clint Marana/CrowdedBEATS
Make of drumkit? Yahama/acoustic, Roland TD-9K2/electric
Make of cymbal? Sabian
Where do you practice? Small "sweat-shop" of a room for some acoustic practice, and an apartment with thin walls for electric.
Are you in a band? Not yet.
Do you play covers or originals? Trying to play covers...skill sets aren't really all that great yet haha!
What style of music? Drum and Bass, Jungle, Rock, Funk
Favourite take out food? Chicken curry!...extra curry...
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I have an obsession for watching old Top Gear episodes over and over again, even when I'm asleep!
How did you start drumming? Music plays an integral part in my daily routines, and I want to be more then just a spectator of it.

How long have you been playing: About 4 months.
Origin of user name: I can't remember, I've been using it for so long.
Your top 5 drummers: My absolute favorite is Danny Carey, though there are many I admire.
Make of drumkit: Currently... a nice, vintage CB700 ;)
Make of cymbal: Whatever sounds good ( currently Sabians)
Where do you practice: In my basement.
Are you in a band: Not yet, but hopefully soon.
Do you play covers or originals: Mostly covers, though I have written some songs.
What style of music: Prog, metal, rock, some jazzier stuff.
Favourite take out food: I prefer to cook :)
What country do you live in: United States.
How did you start drumming: I've tried most instruments, but the drums seem to be the most fun by far!

I've been perusing this site for a few weeks now and just got round to registering, so just wanted to say hi!

Real name -- Andy
Age -- 34
How long have you been playing -- I was 16 the last time I played drums regularly, then a 20 year break spent engineering and producing electronic music. Picking up the sticks again now feels like starting from scratch
Origin of user name -- It rhymes with another nickname. I actually smell quite nice
Your top 5 drummers -- contemporary - KJ Sawka, all-time - purdie, stubblefield, the soul / rare groove drummers I guess. I couldn't name many pro drummers
Make of drumkit -- nothing right now, just the 'practice pad' i.e. textbooks wrapped in a towel. yes, its budget.
Make of cymbal? -- see above
Where do you practice? -- on any surface in my house, and my knee when on the bus which goes down well with my fellow commuters
Are you in a band? -- nope. need to improve vastly before that happens
Do you play covers or originals? i would play covers. I was air-drumming to the pixies just this morning
What style of music? would like to be able to play many many styles. I aspire to latin, funk, jazz in about 50 years time
Favourite take out food? -- Indian, Thai, Asian in general
What country do you live in? -- Kingston, London, UK
One really odd fact about yourself? -- um. i can never think of anything for these type of questions. I'm a bit odd in general
How did you start drumming? -- see above - i drummed on boxes as a kid and scored an old kit from a closing down nightclub. Getting back into it after being inspired by a few friends and countless youtube videos

Hello My name is Andrew. I have been lurking around reading a lot for a while, but this is my first post.
I have been playing since chistmas when I got a pearl export kit.I was a long time thigh slapper and floor stomper and my wife surprised me with a wonderful gift.
i am having heaps of fun with it (my neighbour not so much, but that is another long story)
I am Australian, but live just outside Washington DC, and i am 38 years old when i am acting my age.

Hi, finally joined after many months of getting helpful DW threads in my google searches.

How long have you been playing?
Since 1988. Like Andy below I just started again after 10 years off, so I'm pretty much a beginner.
Your top drummers: If you like 80s punk/post-punk/britpop, and indie/noise/math rock from the 90s, you & I likely have the same top 50 list. Actually you're probably on the list.
Drumkit: Yamaha
Cymbal: Zildjian
Practice space: basement (pads), rehearsal spot in Pburgh
Are you in a band?: I play music with some dudes.
Covers or originals: Mostly originals, a couple of covers.
Style: Indie/math rock
Favorite take-out: all take-out foods are to be enjoyed
How did you start drumming: Some friends had a band. Their drummer was really bad and wanted to sing. I knew one drumbeat and played it; good enough!

Hey guys- great way to do introductions when you're new to a forum (saves you having to make up some intro BS yourself)!

How long have you been playing? 27 years
Your top drummers: Dave Lombardo, Charlie Benante, Paul Bostaph, Mike Portnoy, Raymond Herrera, Nick Menza
Drumkit: Ludwig
Cymbal: Roland
Practice space: Purpose- built room in corner of garage
Are you in a band?: Was in a covers band for 5 years, now just play for fun and whenever a guitarist shows up for a jam!
Covers or originals: Have done a few drum covers
Style: METAL!! (Thrash)
Favorite take-out: Chinese/ Pizza
How did you start drumming: Used to bang on pots and pans as a toddler- Mum got sick of it so she sent me to drum lessons- that was it!

How long have you been playing? 2 months
Your top drummers: ... ugghhhhhhh?
Drumkit: Tama Imperialstar
Cymbal: Sabian
Practice space: Home studio
Are you in a band?: The Hated, check us out on reverbnation if you need to lose 2 minutes of your life that you will never get back
Covers or originals: Originals
Style: Punk
Favorite take-out: Wings
How did you start drumming: Made the mistake of sitting behind a drum set and keeping time with other people in the room, got told I was the drummer. So much for 20years of playing guitar I guess.

I keep ending up on this forum when I google stuff so i figured f*ck it, I'll join. I am a very novice drummer so I apologize in advance for stupid questions and bringing threads back from the dead.

How long have you been playing? More than a few days
Your top drummers: ... Mike Portnoy, and others
Drumkit: Tama (a few different sets)
Cymbal: Sabian
Practice space: At home, at the studio
Are you in a band?: Spit-Face
Covers or originals: Yes
Style: Metal
How did you start drumming: With pencils in elementary school. After my teacher told my parents I was a nuisance, they got me a drum. The rest is history...

Back