Neil Peart

I don't want to ruffle anybody's feathers here but I always found Peart to be somewhat wooden and lacking in feel. Sure, he's technically great and creative but I just don't think he has much feel. Of course Rush/Peart fans think this is blasphemy...

I'll come right out and say it:

Peart is influential and really good, but his lack of feel knocks him considerable down on the list of greatest drummers ever.
I disagree. I dont think he could have become such a legend without having a feel. Sure he kinda looks like a piece of lead while he plays (i dont remember who said that on this forum but its the best way for me to describe it) but i dont see how he doesnt have a feel. Listen to songs like La Villa Strangiato and Subdivisions.
I guess we probably have different views but I just dont think he is lacking feel.

Edit- Heh heh, this is my 3333rd post haha.

Well...

As you can see, this "so-called" ManCannon, is a "one and done" poster, just tryin' to stir-up controversy Class A. Only 1 post...3 1/2 MONTHS AGO!

And I wouldn't be surprised if it's just one of the regular Neil Peart bashers ALREADY a member of DW. Tryin' to throw in his 2 cents(at best) under the radar...

Paaa-leezz...

I think it's amazing how Neil Peart is such a consistent player. Sure he plays everything in conert the EXACT same as on the record, and does it with a serious look his face. That's because when he creates his drum parts for Rush songs, he actually makes them a peice of music. Even his solos are all planned out. It's not that he can't improvise to shake things up, it's just that he doesn't want to.

Rate Neil however you want. One thing is for sure and I think it is the point that people who put him down miss. He has his own "voice" behind the drums. There are incredible technical drummers out there like Weckl etc and as good as Dave is he could not play Neil's parts the way Neil plays them. Just like having someone sit in for Bonham. Yes the songs work but they are not the same.

I think Neil was a better drummer in the past than he is now and I think his "reinvention" plus his terrible family losses hurt his playing. He got bored and its understandable that he wanted to change his style but if its not broke dont fix it.

Listen to The Camera Eye" and tell me Neil isnt a bad ass because that is some very intense drumming there and his live performances in the 80's.. Forget about it. Rush without Neil would not work because his "voice" is essential and will forever be a huge part of drumming history.

Oh, and he writes all the lyrics.

Well said, LD! Great point(s)!

There's NO ONE that could do what NP has done for Rush, and have given his type of inspiration to the masses that have followed his incredible career as a musician, lyricist, AND an author.

And THANK YOU, LD, for returning some common sense to this thread...

Peace! ;-)

He is my favorite drummer of all time, followed by MP. When I first started in playing drums My Sharona was big on the radio and I really liked the drums on it, so I would bang my Remo practice pad to the song constantly. Then I heard Tom Sawyer and from that point on Peart was my idol. I remember sitting there with the cassette player rewinding the lead over and over trying to figure it out. It was my first introduction to odd meter and I loved the challenge. The only problem was, after learning to play like Neil was a mistake for me as a young drummer. It took years and years to become a more rounded player. For instance, when I was a kid I played in a band that did Anthem (Rush), Highway Star (Deep Purple) and I could play all the parts, but when I went to try to play a Beatles song with my older brother I overcomplicated things and couldn't really get the groove. I don't mean to turn this post into a lecture, but if young drummers out there want to sound original, do what Neil says and master many drummers styles, not just one or two!

Last edited:
Ok,
As much as I dig NP, and I thought he was so awesome when I was a kid (he's still awesome), but has anyone else noticed in the big 2 page ad for the new DW 23" bass drum, Neil states that for the last 33 years he's played a 22" bass drum?

Back when he was with Tama his kicks were 24's, and he was with Tama for a long time, so what's up with that?

Even in his written Tour Program spots he had his kicks listed as 24's.

He say's that he liked the sound of 24's, but they didn't work for him, and he stayed with 22's.

I don't think I'm being a nit-picker, or an a-hole for pointing this out......

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Here's a link to the DW site NP article

http://www.dwdrums.com/peart/heartandsoul1.html

I just find this really curious....

Drum solos are always boring to me. Peart's solo is - as he describes - a piece in and of itself and a percussive stroll down the history of drums. I like his solo. It's not some bit about how complicated he can play or how fast.
Listen to the mixed 'Main Monkey Business' drum track on his website www.neilpeart.net
He's good. Flat out. No need to discuss it really.

I could go on but I'll just add this: his compositional work on albums such as Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures is amazing. That's where his true strength lies.

I saw Rush last year for my birthday, the best show I've ever seen. Peart is one of my main inspirations to play the drums. He can solo like no other drummer, their more like composition rather than solo's, there epic.

Peart is also a very intelligent man, I wish more famous musicians were able to articulate there thoughts like Peart can. It is always very interesting to hear him speak.

Re: Any Neil Peart fans?

Yeah, I think you'll find a few Neal Peart fans around here. :)

I was fortunate enough to see him 3 times. The best in my opinion.

YYZ just keeps getting better.

In addition, I have started taking lessons, I can't really do too much but the passion is there. I guess that is where we begin.

Richard

I love Neil. Great drummer.

But I would be cautious as to saying he is the best drummer around..

Alex R

I would say Neil Peart is a Keith Moon with perfection, who puts all his concentration in drumming, But Keith Moon with all the imperfections was fun to watch.

I've seen him 5 times in concert, but gonna' miss him this go around. He is one of the greats in my opinion.

Big fan here! As a matter of fact, I just saw Rush last Friday night here in Dallas! Great show! The guys themselves may be "aging" but their playing (and music) is still dead-on! I was very impressed with the stuff they played off of "Snakes and Arrows".
Not only did I get to see Peart play, but I got to meet Vinnie Paul in the VIP lounge at the venue! Another great drummer and a real nice guy!

Neil Peart is great. I, like you, used to think he was the best. Look at the vids on the main page and your view will change very quickly.

Thanks for the replies. I am sure that his name has popped up every now and again.

Is it true that he has never dropped a drumstick during a concert?

Just to mention, back in 1984, grace under pressure was my first concert. Imagine, Philadelphia spectrum, tons of craziness and a young 12 year old Richard with his dad in a 3 piece suit. "Pops, what is that smell?Something burning?"

Those were the days...

Richard

I hear he never sleeps, too...and can speak w/ the deceased.

I've never dropped a stick on stage, either. Can't talk to dead people though, ...but I see stupid people everywhere I go.

Back