Derek Roddy here!

Re: Derek Roddy

Haha drummers in the death/black/brutal metal genres were losers in high school so this is their form of competition, since they probably sucked at sports. Except hellhammer. He played like everything in high school.

Does Derek Roddy use triggers? Or does he EQ his tracks alot?

They're pretty crisp because they pick up every stroke he takes.

And he takes ALOT of strokes.

When Derek was in Hate Eternal and Nile he used triggers. now he doesnt

I don't know if this has been covered already but does Derek blast with 1 foot or two feet? The reason I'm asking is because I saw a few videos of george kollias doing a clinic and he said in a few of those videos that he think blasting with two feet is cheating. I can't help but think that this guy has a bit of an ego. Like he's racing with other drummers? Last time I checked, music was not a race. If someone blasts with 2 feet, it's easier to do than a single foot blast. Because of triggers, the result is the same. I just think that the single foot blast is a way of saying "I'm better than you". at least thats how george kollias makes it seem.

Derek blasts with 1 foot. he always has. and George is far from egotystical. he's a really nice guy. he just thinks blasting with 2 feet is "cheating" because you're not pushing yourself with your feet. He thinks you should always push yourself to get better. You do that with 1 footing. 2 footing you're just going half the speed with each foot so there's no progress made with your feet there.

When Derek was in Hate Eternal and Nile he used triggers. now he doesnt

Derek blasts with 1 foot. he always has. and George is far from egotystical. he's a really nice guy. he just thinks blasting with 2 feet is "cheating" because you're not pushing yourself with your feet. He thinks you should always push yourself to get better. You do that with 1 footing. 2 footing you're just going half the speed with each foot so there's no progress made with your feet there.

I totally agree with pushing yourself to get better, but is that really getting better? You are doing a different technique to acheive the same result musically, which really, musicality is more important to me than an alternative technique that takes up practice time, that acheives the same thing musically as something that takes less effort.. I mean, shouldn't we be making things easier for ourselves and easier on our body so that we can be more creative? I mean in reality, there isn't much in the death metal genre you can do to be creative. There is only one death metal band that I've heard that blew every other death metal drummer I've heard, out of the water. I suggest you take a look at Yattering, they disbanded i think, but that drummer was awesome. His name is Zabek. I should post a song or a music video they had for one of their songs.

I totally agree with pushing yourself to get better, but is that really getting better? You are doing a different technique to acheive the same result musically, which really, musicality is more important to me than an alternative technique that takes up practice time, that acheives the same thing musically as something that takes less effort.. I mean, shouldn't we be making things easier for ourselves and easier on our body so that we can be more creative?

yes. it's making you have more speed, power, endurance, and precision by blasting with one foot. then what you need to do is alternate feet. blast with your right foot for awhile, then switch off to your left.

I mean in reality, there isn't much in the death metal genre you can do to be creative.

NOT TRUE. two words: Romain Goulon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Zwrs_nDJY

yes. it's making you have more speed, power, endurance, and precision by blasting with one foot. then what you need to do is alternate feet. blast with your right foot for awhile, then switch off to your left.

NOT TRUE. two words: Romain Goulon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Zwrs_nDJY

It's not that I don't agree that it can have benefits, but saying using two feet is cheating is a crappy thing to say. But it goes both ways, using two foot blast can help to conserve energy and playing smarter in my opinion. I guess it doesn't even really matter, depends on how you look at it. I just don't agree with how George Kollias said it was cheating and not fair. If someone wants to blast a certain way, thats their perogative and not up to someone else to determine if it is right, wrong, cheating, or not fair. Since the drums are triggered, and can acheive the same results musically, it really doesn't matter.

Romain Goulon was blast blast blast with some variations. If you check out the stuff I posted , it will really blow your mind.

Last edited:
I found the music video. I'll upload one of their songs. Probably one of the most awesome metal songs i've ever heard. I'll upload it soon.

Here's the video.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWDmhJKHMc&feature=related

Great band, awesome vid, shame they released that dodgy techno album before they disbanded cause I loved all there other albums. You ever listened to wormed or negativa? Check them out for some awesome and weird drumming.

Not that I'm the fastest drummer (Can't really hold double bass over 200 or blast over 200) but I find that blasting with 2 feet is more difficult than blasting with one foot.... more coordination.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know Inferno of Behemoth's speed? In "Slaves Shall Serve he plays 280, I'm wondering how high he locks in, he's a very quick drummer.

Derek, are you enjoying your endorsement with Meinl? Are they as nice to work with as Sabian?
How's the work with Today is the Day coming? I really liked the Meinl Drum Festival clip.

Well, watch some of the Meinl Drum Festival clips with Derek, there you can see how many feets he´s using.

Away from that, I don´t give a damn if I´m a cheater when I´m blasting with both of my feets, it´s about having fun and about having a good feel while playing. IMO, that´s what counts !

Derek, are you enjoying your endorsement with Meinl? Are they as nice to work with as Sabian?
How's the work with Today is the Day coming? I really liked the Meinl Drum Festival clip.

yea, how's Meinl doing!

I watched one of your YouTube videos the other night... about training muscle memory and playing fast (200bpm or more)... the exercises you have to do in a loop for 10 minutes each... Great stuff, I really enjoyed and can use it.... and I don't even play much Metal!

I love the Meinl Company. They have it together man. Great people too!
They actually get things done..... as opposed to talking about getting stuff done! And, that's great from an artist prospective.

I have fulfilled my obligation to TITD and have no plans to do another recording.
My full attention is now with my band Serpents Rise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneQ-gLf2Ik
We are writing now and plan to record and release for free download in the late spring time.
I'll keep ya posted.

Hey Tripp, yea...keep on that exercise. It did wonders for me as well.

Thanks everyone for the continued support.
Drummer ROCK!!
D.

My full attention is now with my band Serpents Rise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneQ-gLf2Ik
We are writing now and plan to record and release for free download in the late spring time.
I'll keep ya posted.

FREE?! Man, that song was awesome, you can't just give stuff like that away. I love the slower bit at 1:40. The song has really tasteful drumming throughout. Well done man!

Your speed is impressive Mr. Roddy. I have not seen many YouTube clips, so I wonder what kinda stuff, if any, do you play that has any redeeming value. I mean, blast beats are okay, but, can you groove like Benny Greb or Dave Weckl? I mean no offense, I just don't think of the art of playing the drum set as much of an EXTREME sport as some others.
I guess, times are changing.

Your speed is impressive Mr. Roddy. I have not seen many YouTube clips, so I wonder what kinda stuff, if any, do you play that has any redeeming value. I mean, blast beats are okay, but, can you groove like Benny Greb or Dave Weckl? I mean no offense, I just don't think of the art of playing the drum set as much of an EXTREME sport as some others.
I guess, times are changing.

He's been doing a lot of work in other fields is word on the street, though I'm not sure, its just written down in some random places. Roddy isn't just fast, he's a very good drummer. Research him a bit, even if he was all blast beats he has some very creative blasts (check out the multi pedal blasting video)

Back