Mike Portnoy

Mike portnoy is a very good drummer and i do enjoy watching and listing to him drumming but hes need to get more creative and I KNOW that danny carey is way better than mike portnoy. If anybody has every heard of tools songs they would agree with me for sure!

I'm not agree with you at all! My favourite Tool songs are Sober, 46&2, The Pot, Jambi(?), Weak and Powerless, Undertow. That's it. I have 3x more DT favourite songs. And most of all, DT Octavarium album is awesome! One of my favourites. And Tool 10 000 days... dissapointment for me. Too few "straightbeat" songs, kind of a boring.
OK I make it short, Carey is great, but Portnoy is the best.

Mike has been my favourite drummer for 3 years now. He's very creative and he inspires me a lot. You can recognize him instantly, often because of his chops.

Even though his my favourite drummer, I don't think his a top technique drummer. There are many with better techinque. The thing is that Mike really freaks you out with his chops and odd-time signatures playing but is not that hard to get if you listen to his music for a long time, because style is very predictable once you get it.

I'm still a fan of his style but I'm always listening to other drummers because Mikes influence is so undeniable that if you listen too much to him, you'll end up making his chops every time, and that's his style, not yours.

In closing, Mikes is one of the best drummers the way I see it (creative and technically) but there are others with an awesome playing too!!!

I love Mikes style of playing. His double bass grooves and fills are inspiring. His drums sound awesome

I just got one of his books, i forget what it is called but it has "Pull me under", "Hells Kitchen", ect. in it. It is really well written out, it has like every note perfectly written in.

I think its a really great book. Alot of fun to play along with. I figure if you are decent at double bass you should be able to do most of the songs after a little practice.

Edit- 2700.

Another fast paced drummer that has everything in order, from his head to his feet. Literally..he has the double bass down perfectly and he blends it in well with the style of music he plays. Their Rush tributes are very nice as well as their hit singles, and their albums. He is a great drummer, probably one of the best in my opinion.

First time I saw mathematics and drums in one solid solution for perfect drumming. I saw his DVD on progressive drumming and sometimes beginners (like me) just find it hard to comprehend how the hell did he conceptualize numbers like that.

Hands down on his double-pedal techniques! One of the top-five!

I really enjoy Portnoys' style and speed! But what REALLY impresses me about him is that he has FUN when he plays! And shows it!! EVERY time he gets behind that BIG kit of his, you can tell that he would NOT wanna be anywhere else, but right there, bangin' and flyin' around that kit!

Mike Portnoy has talent, speed, coordination, the perfect attitude and the desire to succeed! Which he has and deserves! And...HE HAS FUN...Play On! ;-)

A very good drummer, Dream Theater is one of my favourite Metal bands. When i first listened DT i couldn't believe how difficult and complex the music was. I was totally shocked. Then I kind of internalized everything this awesome drummer was playing on his tracks and it wasn't THAT hard. I love his DVD's, is always refreshing to see him play.
Not even on my Top 10, but it was a drummer that used to influence strongly in my playing, now not anymore.

He is a great drummer. I saw him in 2005 and I going to miss him when DT plays in Oslo:(
My parents ordered a trip to France on the exact same day...

But I heard someone says that he has got a new kit? Can anyone confirm this or is he still going for the albino monster?

Mike Portnoy is nothing special. I know everyone is gonna hate me for saying that. But, seriously, I have yet to hear Mike do something that makes me say ooh-ahh. I own two of his CDs and I definately don't listen to them for the drumming. It's so uncreative, so uninventive- and progressive music is supposed to be just that. I can predict every note he is going to play. RLFF fills are for newbies... and apparantly for Mike Portnoy. I hear everyone say he is such a great technichal drummer. Whatever. Tell me exactly where to find something technical if I'm missing something. A true technical drummer is somebody like Virgil Donati, Danny Carey, Bill Bruford, Thomas Lang, ect.

Mike Portnoy is nothing special. I know everyone is gonna hate me for saying that. But, seriously, I have yet to hear Mike do something that makes me say ooh-ahh. I own two of his CDs and I definately don't listen to them for the drumming. It's so uncreative, so uninventive- and progressive music is supposed to be just that. I can predict every note he is going to play. RLFF fills are for newbies... and apparantly for Mike Portnoy. I hear everyone say he is such a great technichal drummer. Whatever. Tell me exactly where to find something technical if I'm missing something. A true technical drummer is somebody like Virgil Donati, Danny Carey, Bill Bruford, Thomas Lang, ect.

No hate here. You are entitled to your opinion. As far as not liking Mike, OK. He can be repetitive. But that aside. You have to admit he is very intense when it comes to his ability to play in odd times and change from one odd time to another. And just because one drummer is not as technical, complex or fast as another does not mean that the drummer is not good. He just may not appeal to you. Which is fine by me.
If you like Dream Theater's style of music check out Vox Tempus. Very, very Dream Theateresque. Gregg Bissonette plays on the CD. And I believe it is some of his best playing. Gregg's my favorite and I am familiar w/ his rock and jazz playing. This just shows another side of Gregg's incredible playing ability. One I didn't know he had.

I do belive he does have a kit,although i havent seen anything on the net i saw DT at download festival and was amazed to see...one huge acrylic kit :D

OMG you own two cds with Mike portnoy on it? THAT MAKES YOU AN EXPERT ON HIM. Give me a break. Sure he uses the RLFF quite often, but the way he uses them fits perfect whenever he uses them, and he uses them in unique combinations by spreading them between octobans and throwing them into odd time grooves. You want some good technical Dream Theater songs? Try The Dance Of Eternity, The instrumental section of metropolis pt.1, Octavarium, The second half of The Ministry of Lost Souls, The Great Debate, The Test That Stumped Them All, and many more. The thing about Mike Portnoy is that he is able to be technical, and also be able to be tasteful in the midst of all the odd time things he does, and that is a hard thing to do. Sure, he doesnt do the insane inter independance stuff that Thomas Lang does, but that's a whole different ball game. Mike portnoy is a master at his style of progressive drumming. Until I see a video of you doing what Mike Portnoy does, and do it better, then you have no room to criticize him.

While I respect your opinion, I believe you are completely off the mark when it comes to your statement about creativity. My God, the man is consistantly creating off the wall rhythms to play.

You can say he doesn't have the "feel" of a Bonham, but come on. Creativity is one Mike's strongest assets as a drummer. The guy IS progressive drumming. Consistantly voted best prog drummer. He is the most influential prog drummer ( I don't consider RUSH prog, so don't compare him to Neil) of the current generation.

So we are comparing drummers now are we? (even If we are not, just leave me to put a list of my favorite drummers up :D)

1.Jojo Mayer
2. Neil Peart
3. Mike Portnoy
4. Eloy Casagrande (seriously, look at his drummerworld video!! 14 year old!!)

Back