Simon Phillips

Hey, so when Alex Van Halen keels over and dies we know "Hot For Teacher" is covered.

You heard it. You know you did. China kicks and all.

Robin, do you have a copy of the tune V8 either in MP3 or video?

Well this is my first post here, and it's fitting that it's for Simon Phillips. I've been a fan of his for a long time. He's got such an amazing sound, and the stuff he comes up with for timekeeping is really creative. I've got his videos and recently picked up the live force majeur cd. Geat stuff !

I'm sorry to hear that he stripped the octobans for the new tour. That was one of my favourite elements of his kit.

Robin, nice work posting all those clips of him. No we're not getting tired of them, so keep em comin

Robin, do you have a copy of the tune V8 either in MP3 or video?
Well, I think V8 is on Simon's page here on Drummerworld but It's not the whole one. I'll try and find the complete tune!

The Elusive Z: For his clinic tour, he did infact play without the octobans but this recent TOTO tour, they were back up!

I'll check. I used to have it on a floppy piece of plastic from Modern Drummer. Let me know if you have the whole thing. Thanks.

Well, I think V8 is on Simon's page here on Drummerworld but It's not the whole one. I'll try and find the complete tune!

Simon turns 50 today. Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday Simon.
I have one question.
In the Live DVD with Toto on the song Rossana you did not do the Jeff Pocarro shuffle, how come?

The last time I checked, Simon Phillips is not a participant in these forums.

Happy Birthday Simon.
I have one question.
In the Live DVD with Toto on the song Rossana you did not do the Jeff Pocarro shuffle, how come?

Happy Birthday Simon.
I have one question.
Well, Simon isn't trying to be Jeff, he has his own style and makes the song his own. That's problaby why.

While I never considered that he was trying to be Jeff, I thought that he was trying to be true to the songs which was obvious in the rest of the songs that he played But for some unknown reason, he did not do the shuffle to Rosanna, which confuses me and confounds me because I'm sure he can do it. And of course it is the signature sound to that song. The fact that he did not play at while he did the rest of the songs The same the way Jeff did still confuses me.
PS I knew he did not answer the questions it was purely rhetorical.
I have yet to get a satisfactory answer from any drummer I've talked to. The only conclusion I can come to, which was seen to be impossible. Is that he actually can't play that shuffle.
Of course we know he can, or it would seem improbable that he cannot.
Therefore, the question still remains, why did he not reproduce the shuffle. When he played Rosanna live with toto?

simon phillips fans make sure you go back and check out
judas priest sin after sin (pre metal hard rock) with 19 year
phillips.

if you haven't already.

a ripping good time to be had by all.

You have even experienced Simon Phillips until you have listened to Toto - Daves Gone Skiing!!! Pure Genius!

Just thought I'd share my opinion...
I saw Toto live last summer and they were mind-blowing. The concert was outdoors, and the quality of sound was unreal. Simon's drum set was simply the greatest I have ever heard live. Even Rush (who I am not knocking, they are one of my favorite bands) didn't sound that good outdoors. I particularly loved the way Simon's bass drum sounded. Props to Simon and Toto's amazing Tech crew!

Well, Simon isn't trying to be Jeff, he has his own style and makes the song his own. That's problaby why.

Indeed, Toto became interested in Philips sice Jeff loved his style. Somewhere Simon said he wasnt going to copy Jeff, he was going to play in his own syle, the one Jeff liked. I think Jeff told the Toto guys that if someday he left the band, Simon was a good replacement. But still, I think think Simon is ver overated.

One of my bands played a show withTOTO in July, and Simon was amazing. His kit was super cool, and he was a really great guy.

He made it a point to come off the bus to say how much he loved my drum sound--especially my bass drum which sounded "fu*king great" in his words.
Now THAT was cool.

HE was asking me what muffling I used and how I had it set up. That was a holy crap moment to say the least.

He sent his roadie and another crew guy to find me and invite on stage, but they couldn't find me--and they both said "Hey, we were looking for you! Simon wanted to have you come on stage to watch..."

The keyboard player also commented on how great my drums sounded too, and Steve Lukather was also complimentary on the band.

Here's a pic of me and Simon, and a couple others..so you know I'm not B.Sing (which I don't ever do I promise!).

marquee.jpg

meSimon1.jpg

skitback.jpg

This is how I had it set up on the Toto gig, but the pic is from a show we opened for The (New) Cars in Sept.

P1010051.jpg

This is how have it set up now...I have a 21" crash under the china, but you can't really see it in this pic.
RSNwKtConfig907.jpg

Back