manufacturing process for triple flanged hoops?

Namaan

i have been curious as to how triple flanged hoops are manufactured for some time...anybody out there got an answer on this??

When the Keebler Elves are done making cookies, they work nights supplying the world with triple flanged hoops. So elves make them. Really.

Probably starts out as a straight bar of steel. Then the flanges are imparted to the metal, then it's bent in a circle and joined. I totally made that up. I haven't the slightest clue how triple flanged hoops are made. They are probably stamped out by a 100 ton press because I never recall seeing any seams.

A strip of steel is pulled through a die where it is folded into shape. It is then cut to length, rounded, and welded at the ends. A stamping machine completes the process by punching out the tension rod holes before plating.

Last edited:
When the Keebler Elves are done making cookies, they work nights supplying the world with triple flanged hoops. So elves make them. Really.

Probably starts out as a straight bar of steel. Then the flanges are imparted to the metal, then it's bent in a circle and joined. I totally made that up. I haven't the slightest clue how triple flanged hoops are made. They are probably stamped out by a 100 ton press because I never recall seeing any seams.

You had me going there with the Keebler Elves, Larry ;)

Now I'm kinda' disappointed you've told the truth. Some things belong in the realm of magic, you know.

I have never noticed a joint on a triple flange hoop and don't think its roll forming.
More likely its stamped out of a sheet of metal.

I'm going with the stamping process, but I'm still guessing. It's a lot quicker than welding each individual hoop.

This patent and application have useful information about flanged drum hoops.

https://www.google.com/patents/US8367917

https://www.google.com/patents/US20120174733

It is a lot cheaper to start with a flat strip of metal, about 1.5" wide by about 1/8" thick (sizes vary according to design), roll it into a hoop or ring, weld the ends and then press/ forge/ stamp the welded rolled hoops into a drum rim triple flanged shape.

It is hard to see the welds, and most likely because there is a chrome or nickel plating over the flanged hoops, and they grind the welds smooth after they weld the ends together. They would apply a heat treatment to make the hoops harder prior to plating. A polishing process is done so everything looks good for the camera. The patent has the polishing prior to putting the flanged ears on, that may or may not be true. I would think polishing would be the last operation prior to inspection because there is a risk of damaging the finish.

Thanks to all for the input,

i had an idea that they were pressed into shape. sadly it seems that elves have little to do with it :p

Yup welded, could call it 'seamless' cuz you can't see the weld due to finishing.

It is hard to see the welds, and most likely because there is a chrome or nickel plating over the flanged hoops, and they grind the welds smooth after they weld the ends together.

I have never noticed a joint on a triple flange hoop and don't think its roll forming.
More likely its stamped out of a sheet of metal.
Looks closely on the inside of the hoop. You'll find evidence of welds that are ground down and then chromed.

I'm going with the stamping process, but I'm still guessing. It's a lot quicker than welding each individual hoop.
It's not that much quicker, and it's A LOT cheaper to use dies and weld the joint than to press the whole thing and still need to roll the last bend in it.

Many moons ago, when Sonor still made seamless snare drum shells, their triple flanged hoops were also spun seamless ferro-manganese steel.

Now, their TF hoops are rolled and welded like everyone else.

Yup welded, could call it 'seamless' cuz you can't see the weld due to finishing.

Seamless is very different, it means they did not weld it together. Seamless pipe is no welds, seamless tubes are not welded.

Back