...for the jazz cats ...

I forget who recommended McCoy Tyner Trio, "Nights of Ballads and Blues" for good brushwork example, but I want to thank them! I just got this record and it is outstanding! The drumwork is up front and totally clear so you can really hear what Lex Humphries is doing. McCoy is as always musically tasteful and the bassist, Steve Davis provides a nice bottom. I'm diggin' it!

cheers
russell

I forget who recommended McCoy Tyner Trio, "Nights of Ballads and Blues" for good brushwork example, but I want to thank them! I just got this record and it is outstanding! The drumwork is up front and totally clear so you can really hear what Lex Humphries is doing. McCoy is as always musically tasteful and the bassist, Steve Davis provides a nice bottom. I'm diggin' it!

cheers
russell

might have been me because that is one of my favorite recordings of all time

how perfect is the drumming on that record

Glad to see some activity on this thread.

Let's celebrate with one of my faves from the era of the Louis Armstrong Hot Fives: http://youtu.be/yl-2R_Pb7dk

It doesn't get any better.

Man, that is tremendous. Love the point-counterpoint of Stitt and Rollins.

Man, that is tremendous. Love the point-counterpoint of Stitt and Rollins.

great isn't it?

if I had to leave an example of a perfect jazz tune in a time capsule that might be it

Rollins and Stitt slay that tune

and Charlie Persip is just butter

Here's a question for the collective wisdom of you cats. Since I bought all my drums off E-Bay I plan on replacing the snare and tom heads, both Pearl. What heads would be best for a "jazzy" sound? and should I replace the reso's as well? I'm thinking maybe Evans G-2's? All input appreciated.

cheers
russell

I love jazz piano trios, especially the Brad Mehldau Trio. I played a little jazz in the 80s, but there is no market for it where I now live, and I know of no other musicians who are interested in playing it. If I could play some jazz, that would be payment enough for me. Peace and goodwill.

Here's a question for the collective wisdom of you cats. Since I bought all my drums off E-Bay I plan on replacing the snare and tom heads, both Pearl. What heads would be best for a "jazzy" sound? and should I replace the reso's as well? I'm thinking maybe Evans G-2's? All input appreciated.

cheers
russell

I would go coated G1 top and bottom. Peace and goodwill.

cheers
russell

I use G-1s on all batter heads. The only complaint is that the "crispy" coating wore off rather quickly (2.5 months) but it is still white. It doesn't have that crisp brush sound it used to. I am looking into an aquarian modern vintage.

All of my reso's are also g1s, clear, including the bass drum. Had to mess with this bass drum combo a little but I think it sounds pretty good now.

I feel like I will never "finish" the book 'Beyond Bop Drumming'.
There are days where I play through pages and pages and the next day I find myself relearning those pages or exercises again.

I'm learning so much from the book, and its really broaden my playing.
I have loads of fun playing Jack DeJohnettes transcriptions. For the 10 seconds I play the 4 bars of his comping, makes me feel happy to be playing something he played, note for note. I don't know, it kind of dismistifies what is a baffling at times to hear. That man is a genius.

Sorry for the random post! :)

now thats some heavies sharing the stage right there

one hell of a reunion

I saw that group when they played Atlanta. I was so looking forward to it that there wasn't any way it could have fulfilled my expectations, and it didn't. In fact it was rather stilted, like there was some trouble on stage, egos at play, something like that. Whatever, it just didn't gel, and when you think about it how could it have?

Back