...for the jazz cats ...

I enjoy the Ken Burns documentary

it's a 10 DVD set

pretty well done

lots of great info

For early jazz history, the Burn's is ok I guess. But it really falls short in terms of capturing the actual history of jazz music. There is such a slant towards the Marsalis/ classicist view that its hard for me to stomach 10 DVDs of that ish.

For early jazz history, the Burn's is ok I guess. But it really falls short in terms of capturing the actual history of jazz music. There is such a slant towards the Marsalis/ classicist view that its hard for me to stomach 10 DVDs of that ish.

I enjoyed it

you have to take it for what it is and not let that be your only source

it's not like they are just blatantly making things up

its' just told through certain peoples perspectives

That Monk clip I believe is from Straight No Chaser, an excellent documentary about Monk from the late-80s. Highly, highly recommended. Great insight into Monk's life and music, told by people who knew him best and appreciated him most.

That Monk clip I believe is from Straight No Chaser, an excellent documentary about Monk from the late-80s. Highly, highly recommended. Great insight into Monk's life and music, told by people who knew him best and appreciated him most.

yup

I stated that in the post I put the link in

such a great film....but equally as sad as it is amazing

another genius just slowly losing his mind

Yeah, I'm aware of the documentary (and its controversy) and I'm definitely planning to see it. I was thinking more along the line of books, gonna go search in Amazon and see what I can find.

I really enjoyed the Ted Gioia book

it sort of fills in the blanks and gives a different perspective than the Burns doc.

really good book .....and well written

he jumps around and keeps it interesting ....kind of connecting the dots

good read

yup

I stated that in the post I put the link in

such a great film....but equally as sad as it is amazing

another genius just slowly losing his mind

You sure did. Man, I am blind today.

I know what you mean about the sadness. I don't know why, but for all the tragic figures music has had, Monk and Bill Evans are the ones I find the most depressing. I guess maybe because their music means so much to me.

I enjoyed it

you have to take it for what it is and not let that be your only source

it's not like they are just blatantly making things up

its' just told through certain peoples perspectives

+1

As much as people complain about it, something like that is very difficult to do and not miss stuff with the topic being so incredibly vast and diverse.

I for one think it was pretty well done and it provides an overview of the topic.

My Dad was excited to see it coming to the airwaves only to have him die 2 months before episode 1 was played. The first few episodes was almost exactly how my Dad explained to me how it all began. So for me, I have an emotional tie to it as well. I actually own the series and play it back once a year or so.

This being said, it should not be your only source. Anyone who wants to study anything should never just go to one source.

Let's fire this thread up again with one of my favorite performances. Ever. In any musical style. http://youtu.be/njo1zvr216s

I had an inspiring Labor Day weekend at the Detroit Jazz Festival. The lineup this year was ridiculous, with awe-inspiring acts on all four days of the long weekend. Wayne and his quartet featuring Brian Blade being one of them. Many of my friends from NYC took the trip out, saying it was the strongest jazz festival anywhere in the world in 2012. And no charge. We're so lucky to have it, and can't wait for next year's already.

Let's fire this thread up again with one of my favorite performances. Ever. In any musical style. http://youtu.be/njo1zvr216s

I had an inspiring Labor Day weekend at the Detroit Jazz Festival. The lineup this year was ridiculous, with awe-inspiring acts on all four days of the long weekend. Wayne and his quartet featuring Brian Blade being one of them. Many of my friends from NYC took the trip out, saying it was the strongest jazz festival anywhere in the world in 2012. And no charge. We're so lucky to have it, and can't wait for next year's already.

I was literally just listening to that record this morning....love it so damn much

but have this one on right now for a little NFL halftime enjoyment
one of the absolute best records ever recorded in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmFaZfRZQE

I love the 16 bar A sections with the 8 bar B section where Trane plays without accompaniment of Byrd and Fuller ......kind of a sucker for that
and Art Taylor just killin it

I was literally just listening to that record this morning....love it so damn much

but have this one on right now for a little NFL halftime enjoyment
one of the absolute best records ever recorded in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmFaZfRZQE

I love the 16 bar A sections with the 8 bar B section where Trane plays without accompaniment of Byrd and Fuller ......kind of a sucker for that
and Art Taylor just killin it

Oh, yeah. I'm with you 100%. One of the great Blue Note dates ever.

I heard that Wayne's group just killed it at the festival, wish I could have been there this year! I was hoping that some recordings would sneak on to youtube.

I constantly having arguments with myself about which album I love more, Speak No Evil or Night Dreamer. Endless inspiration and pleasure from both.

Wait a minute, just found some video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdmIsecxwpk

Great thread. I too am in love with jazz. My mother was a big band swing singer back during world war 2. I was listening to Tommy Dorsey and Artie Shaw as a toddler. Also Deep Purple and great war movie themes. Dad bought some weird albums.

Sadly in my city there are very few gigs in general.Let alone for jazz. Not much chance to play it. Although I do teach it. And wonder why while doing so....

I heard that Wayne's group just killed it at the festival, wish I could have been there this year! I was hoping that some recordings would sneak on to youtube.

I constantly having arguments with myself about which album I love more, Speak No Evil or Night Dreamer. Endless inspiration and pleasure from both.

Wait a minute, just found some video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdmIsecxwpk

that clip was out of this world!!!

Count me as one of the Jazz guys, however new to drums. Spent most of my life as a string player playing all genres other then Jazz. ;) Now my obsession is Jazz drumming with a focus on brush work. Paul Motain, Ben Riley, and Roy Haynes are my drumming idols. I need to find some time to read through this thread! ;)

cheers!

Just hired the DVDs from the local library - interesting history, but I was peeved when they listed the great graduates of Fletcher Henderson's bands and failed to mention Sun Ra - surely that's either a massive oversight or they were being bitchy??

Just hired the DVDs from the local library - interesting history, but I was peeved when they listed the great graduates of Fletcher Henderson's bands and failed to mention Sun Ra - surely that's either a massive oversight or they were being bitchy??

It's not an oversight. That's a big part of the criticism of the Burns/Marsalis/Crouch take on jazz. Not much time for those who were part of the avant garde.

It's not an oversight. That's a big part of the criticism of the Burns/Marsalis/Crouch take on jazz. Not much time for those who were part of the avant garde.

Shame, the DVD has many brilliant moments - both the video and tunes. It's just the omissions that frustrate - if it had a broader range it would have been perfect!

Irony is that Ra has all these Henderson style arrangements that in many ways are less hip than "the experimental sounds" (I loled at that) of Dizzy and Bird. Guess the Arkestra played too many straight 8s for Crouch and co :)

I finally had the time to finish reading through this thread and want to thank you cats for the highly informative conversation. Lots and lots of useful info throughout the thread, and I hope you folks continue the discussion.

I'll throw this out there for any of you who may have missed this gem of a recording: Chick Corea Trio, "Further Explorations", with Eddie Gomez and Paul Motian, the so called Bill Evans Tribute. Amazing album and such tasteful drumming from Paul. Peris Scope is worth the cost alone.

cheers

I finally had the time to finish reading through this thread and want to thank you cats for the highly informative conversation. Lots and lots of useful info throughout the thread, and I hope you folks continue the discussion.

I'll throw this out there for any of you who may have missed this gem of a recording: Chick Corea Trio, "Further Explorations", with Eddie Gomez and Paul Motian, the so called Bill Evans Tribute. Amazing album and such tasteful drumming from Paul. Peris Scope is worth the cost alone.

cheers

Further Explorations is an awesome jazz trio album, two CD's of wonderful. Peace and goodwill.

Back