Lars Ulrich

All I know is that Lars' drumming on ...And Justice for All is his finest work to date, in my most humble opinion. His playing on that album made me air drum for days at an end, trying to learn his parts; and, even if they are not too difficult, complement the overall progressive approach of the band on this album, which by the way in my opinion is the absolute best Metallica will ever produce.

As for those bashers, well, if you think Lar's playing is boring and uninspired and lacks creativity and blah, blah, blah... why don't you show us how you can make it better? Provide us with recordings of your playing along to Metallica songs with your own approach and show us how you can play fun, inspirational and creative parts. Just a suggestion...

All I know is that Lars' drumming on ...And Justice for All is his finest work to date, in my most humble opinion. His playing on that album made me air drum for days at an end, trying to learn his parts; and, even if they are not too difficult, complement the overall progressive approach of the band on this album, which by the way in my opinion is the absolute best Metallica will ever produce.

As for those bashers, well, if you think Lar's playing is boring and uninspired and lacks creativity and blah, blah, blah... why don't you show us how you can make it better? Provide us with recordings of your playing along to Metallica songs with your own approach and show us how you can play fun, inspirational and creative parts. Just a suggestion...

Spot on, Justice has great drum tracks.

Blackened, ...And justice for all, One, Harvester of sorrow, Dyers Eve, etc...

He's so much more to Metallica than just a drummer, and he fits the music just fine. Unfortunately like a lot of modern metal, his drum tracks are pieced together...even when they didn't quite have the technology, and especially for the And Justice...tracks. Then again, who could play Dyers Eve in one take LOL!

I'd switch thrones with him.

lars plays really good for metallica in my opinion, but really isnt the best, as a matter of fact he is my least favorate drummer, but i still look up to him.

He's so much more to Metallica than just a drummer, and he fits the music just fine. Unfortunately like a lot of modern metal, his drum tracks are pieced together...even when they didn't quite have the technology, and especially for the And Justice...tracks. Then again, who could play Dyers Eve in one take LOL!

I'd switch thrones with him.

Dyers Eve.....
It'll be a while before I can complete that. lol
Besides the Beggining.

lars plays really good for metallica in my opinion, but really isnt the best, as a matter of fact he is my least favorate drummer, but i still look up to him.

Nobody said he's the best, I just want people to acknowledge that he's a fit drummer, and a good drummer.

Not to be a butt, but I think this guy is over-rated.

good call. he IS overrated. he isn't a BAD drummer, just stagnant. he did good work through and justice, but the whole band went into the shitter, writing-wise after that. all poppy. anybody that refuses to grow after a certain point is looking to lose listeners.

the day that never comes- Death Magnetic

Tells all bout Lars.
There are so many immitators (or..inspiration) on You Tube but he was the first one who did it, awsome fast drumming! excellent

He may not be the best or most technically proficient, but I got inspired to play drums after listening to his parts in several Metallica albums, so I owe him that.

Lars, in my opinion, doesn't show very much personallity in his playing and lacks unique abilities. he only has experience in loud metal drumming and nothing else. apparently, lars actually had to have a drum teacher teach him how to play a traditional jazz beat when metallica was recording some song that i forgot the name of.

I have a lot of respect for Lars, his playing and what He has achieved with Metallica and the band itself. But it seems that lost of interest and/or lack of motivation is hitting him lately.

Lars, in my opinion, doesn't show very much personallity in his playing and lacks unique abilities. he only has experience in loud metal drumming and nothing else. apparently, lars actually had to have a drum teacher teach him how to play a traditional jazz beat when metallica was recording some song that i forgot the name of.

Thats strange.

Because one of the reasons that he my favorite, is because of his stage presence.
He shows a lot of emotion when he plays, and really looks like he is enjoying it.

The more i listen to him, the less i like him. it all sounds the same to me. i like drummers with a lot of diversity of their playing, not just the same beat in every song. i have to admit, some of his stuff is good tho.

The only reasons you people don't like the guy are

1-not enough double bass or blast beats

2-simple straight out beats

3-not into it???

Ya...Those(except # 3) aren't his style. If he can make simple beats fit into a great song, why complain about it. And not into it? Have you seen him live in 89'. He's definately into it. And it sounds great. He is an inspiration to many beginning drummers...including me.

3-not into it???

Ya...Those(except # 3) aren't his style. If he can make simple beats fit into a great song, why complain about it. And not into it? Have you seen him live in 89'. He's definately into it. And it sounds great. He is an inspiration to many beginning drummers...including me.

Regarding two bass drums, if you start filling in all the holes because you’ve got two kicks, it can get rather boring. By fact very good players know this.

Cheers,

Last edited:
^^^

Lars Ulrich does not impress me at all.

Nothing about his drumming stands out to me.

He can play double bass, but so can't a lot of drummers.

I have honestly found nothing from his drumming style that impressive.

Simply said and I'm sure I'm going to get some flak for this, he's a mediocre drummer.

3-not into it???

no one doubts that he was into it TWENTY years ago. That's not what we're talking about

^^^

Lars Ulrich does not impress me at all.

Nothing about his drumming stands out to me.

He can play double bass, but so can't a lot of drummers.

I have honestly found nothing from his drumming style that impressive.

Simply said and I'm sure I'm going to get some flak for this, he's a mediocre drummer.

Pretty harsh words towards a drummer that's a part of a music group that along with bands like Slayer, and a handful of others paved a completely different road for metal music. And sure Metallica may have lost some steam Black Album and beyond, we're talking about a drummer who was on some pinnacle albums e.g. Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Masters of Puppets, And Justice for All, during a time when the music industry was trying to sell you garbage metal albums like Theatre of Pain and sissies with cucumbers stuffed in the spandex tights.

I think that with Lars you have to use a little perspective. Yeah, he's not Dave Lombardo, but who the hell is? I respect him a lot for trying to be a better musician and play what he thinks is right for what Metallica is doing now, regardless of what many (myself included) happens to think of the bands new sound or musical direction.

Nonetheless he inspired a lot of drummers to play and be different.

How people view Lars tends to fall into one of two catagories

1) Those were teenagers (or older) in the 80s who remember Lars playing things that no one else was doing at the time (at least not in a way most people could see/hear). his raw speed on the first 4 Metallica albums was a relatively new concept at the time. While drummers had been using double bass for years, most used it for quads, shuffles, or just double bass roles. Lars came along and played all sorts of broken triplet patterns, syncopations, and quick rolls that no one else was playing on albums at the time. Playing thrash in 7/4 and 5/4 and all the crazy time signature changes on "And Justice For All" was ground breaking.
The first time "One" was played on MTV was a monumental occasion, as many of us had never heard someone play double bass like ever.

2) Those who were teenagers in the 90's or later, who only saw Lars simplify his playing, while thousands upon thousands of drummers learned every Lars Ulrich trick and then improved upon it many times over, while Lars himself stopped trying to improve himself, apparently went backwards in ability.

What many people don't realize is yes, they can turn on MTV or youtube or whatever and find 1,000,001 players who can do insane things with double bass than Lars couldn't do if he dreamed, but 20 years ago those other players didn't exist, and there was no youtube to watch them on. While Lars was "the guy" (with a handful of others) who was doing it, and actually selling records, and putting himself in places where people could see and hear him. Most of these modern players wouldn't be playing what they play if Lars had not set the ground work first and been around to be copied and improved upon.

Muck like in jazz, a lot of the early pioneers like Zutty Singleton and Cozy Cole are often forgotten in favor of the 2nd and 3rd generation jazz of players who took everything the early guys did and improved it, and used better recording technology to make more people aware that they could play they way they do. (and no, I'm not comparing Lars to jazz legends).

I remember looking at Lars as a major inspiration for what could be done on the drum kit.
Do I look at him the same way now? Of course not. But that doesn't discount what he did in the past.

Back