Headphones for Playing in a Cage

JGottron

My church has bought a fully enclosed plexiglass cage to put the drums in, much to my chagrin. The top is filled with sound insulation, but it's still really loud. The tiny headphones that come with the in-ear packs don't do much to protect your ears. Nor can they push the low range sounds, ie; kick drum, floor tom.

I don't have the $400+ it takes for molded in-ears. So, I need some suggestions for over-ear headphones. I'm looking at noise reduction type headphones, and have heard good things about the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M's. Can anyone offer other suggestions? Am I on the right track?

Im using the shure in ears with the foam sleeves that you scrunch up then swell up once you put them in your ears and block out just about everything.

Im using the shure in ears with the foam sleeves that you scrunch up then swell up once you put them in your ears and block out just about everything.

+1 on this. You can get the single driver Shures for $100 @ Guitar Center. They include the foam sleeves. DO IT, DO IT NOW!

Etymonics have a ~$60 model (mf5 i think) that also come with foam eartips. These block a ton of sound...

+2 Shure SE215. I can wear them for 3 hours at a shot and they feel ok, sound great and don't break the bank!

+3 I have the Shure SE 215 and it's very comfortable and blocks out almost everything.

Back