ROLAND SPDS SAMPLING QUESTION

nickyallenk

thanks. I was in standard mode and mono which was what suprised me. I didn't realize the memory was that limited though! I will no doubt be getting a few cards off Amazon and dumping some factory sounds. Especially since I bought it in order to program my Macbook with and to use my own sounds I create from Reason, Abelton Live, ect.

Last edited:
Internal memory, is very limited. If you were sampling in stereo on the fine setting, you indeed probably ran out of space. Page 52 of the manual. I've known a few cats who dump all the factory sounds to extend their internal memory. I choose to go the other route, and bought enough 512 MB cards to last me a lifetime.

I picked up one of these Roland SPDS sampling controllers the other day. I love it but ran into a little dilema which makes me wonder...

I started to create new patches with my own sounds. Specifically, I sampled a slit drum I have sitting around that required 6 notes. I programmed it into the SPDS with no problem using a contact mic. However, I found some interesting glockenspiel sounds on a website and proceeded to sample those using the line function. For all this sampling I was in standard mode and mono. I was trying to program in an 8 note scale for the glock... I got about 4 notes in with no problem and on the 5th note... "MEMORY FULL!"

It didn't seem like the internal memory should fill up this fast especially after 10 pads worth of information. The samples were no more than 0.3 to 5 seconds long each. Just curious as to whether or not this is common. I'm guessing I'll have to get some memory cards. Anyone else ran into this or know maybe if I'm missing something here? Just didn't seem right to me after 10 sounds and 2 patches.

Last edited:
Back