How should I choose a drum teacher as a beginner?

It has been on the back of my mind for several years as something I would like to do. I only have a little music experience - a couple each guitar, piano, and theory classes back in community college just for fun but never got sucked in. I moved to the Bay Area for grad school and by the time I graduated I started doing Spartan Races. Then shifted gears to bike racing and got completely sucked into that. Hundreds of races over a few years. I don't intend to quit bike racing, but having only one thing I do every weekend until I die doesn't sound like a good idea. I've been really into listening to music for a couple years now. Yeah I'm always drumming on random things all the time, and I have decent rhythm but not the best ear for picking out a bunch of notes in a chord. And since I've been kinda thinking about learning drums for a while I figured I better just jump in and do it cuz it won't happen on its own!

But that's exactly what it does. You sit down and play along to songs that you like, its almost osmosis. You pick up grooves and fills by listening and trying to emulate. The happy mistakes you make, that lead to a new, to you, fill or rhythm, are what make you unique.

Maybe I'm different than some others. (Obviously...)

I don't necessarily fall in love with something I have no experience with. Can't fall in love with something I don't know. But it's really a simple act of looking around at the types of things I like and am good at and figuring out what I have a 90% chance of loving. Cycling was one. I just tried racing - jumped in randomly and loved it. I may not have experience drumming yet but I still know one doesn't have to love something before they even know it. I've been practicing an hour a day for a couple months now and I think its safe to say I at least will really like it. Who knows yet if I will LOVE it.

It doesn't matter man. We're all different. When we're exposed and when it's possible to do varies for all of us.

I've been playing music my whole life, but drums are sorta new.

Just go for it and enjoy the ride.

That's for the info guys!

I have already agreed to meet this guy on Monday evening:
https://www.thumbtack.com/ca/san-francisco/drum-lessons/professional-drum-set-lessons

This is the other guy who is nearby:
https://archives.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/best-drummer/BestOf?oid=2204100
http://www.vibomusicschool.com/WarrenHuegel.html

Last is this guy teaching from treasure island.
http://www.zingari.com/brent-elberg.html

None of these drummers you listed have a VIDEO in their page (at least the ones you provided), isn´t this stange TODAY, when everybody has a camera even in his phone?

Are you going to study with someone you haven´t seen playing? Glup!

[/B]

But that's exactly what it does. You sit down and play along to songs that you like, its almost osmosis. You pick up grooves and fills by listening and trying to emulate. The happy mistakes you make, that lead to a new, to you, fill or rhythm, are what make you unique.

One doesnt do that without a kit, nor does one do that very well without learning a bit first. So I haven't hit that stage yet. Sounds fun though!

None of these drummers you listed have a VIDEO in their page (at least the ones you provided), isn´t this stange TODAY, when everybody has a camera even in his phone?

Are you going to study with someone you haven´t seen playing? Glup!
I sure am for the first lesson. But I may take that advice and remember it for future lessons when I actually know what to look for in video. Also I don't own a computer and my phone video isn't very good for drumming. I can't even hear the kick! I definitely want in person lessons, even if the teacher isn't as good technically. Unless the consensus here tells me otherwise, of course.

Sorry, I asked for advice and then went against it by signing up for 2 lessons in 2 days. I had been considering a Sunday afternoon lesson with guy number 3, and when he called to ask about it I was anxious to get started so agreed. Met him today.

He is a pretty young guy but he has been teaching for many years. He currently teaches at a couple different schools, and gigs with a couple different groups. Sounds like a "take what he can get" dude. He seems to drum mainly jazz, and when I asked about how boring the basic kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4 is, he showed me some pretty cool grooves with about a zillion sounds coming out of the 4 piece kit he had set up.

I am to back up and not focus on various rudiments and slow down and focus on single stroke technique at 90 bpm. Hand alignment, wrist movement, dynamics drills. Basically alternate 8ths and 16ths and dynamics focusing on relaxed wrist movement. Also I've been practicing doubles with way too much wrist movement in the second stroke so he gave me finger drills to work on getting the bounce done right.

As far as grooves go, obviously he had me show him the basic rock beat and we went from there on what I am comfortable with and all my questions about whether that beat can get boring. We went over drills to work on getting kick independence by hitting 16ths in all possible places, then 2 16ths, then 2 16ths starting a 16th later, then 3 16ths and so on. He isn't against working on various beat patterns but indicated that the drills are good for having a set routine to get all the kick patterns in each day.

We went a bit overtime with my q&a also

Oh and also he recommends "A Funky Primer"

..and when I asked about how boring the basic kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4 is, he showed me some pretty cool grooves with about a zillion sounds coming out of the 4 piece kit he had set up.

As far as grooves go, obviously he had me show him the basic rock beat and we went from there on what I am comfortable with and all my questions about whether that beat can get boring.

Hmm... As you progress (if you choose to), you might start looking at this whole hang up with the so called "basic rock beat" a little bit different...

mhm

It's bread and butter. It's boring if you play it boring. Those who look at it that way usually don't do it well. It's the whole foundation. Also increase the tempo and keep it going for 4 full sets.

It's like those who think just playing a swing pattern and it automatically is swing. It's a bit deeper than that.

One doesnt do that without a kit, nor does one do that very well without learning a bit first. So I haven't hit that stage yet. Sounds fun though!

There is no right or wrong way, just your way. My way, back in the dim and distant past, was to play along to records ( remember them?),on pots and pans with sticks my dad made for me. When, years later, I played on a kit for the first time, I already had the muscle memory and the basics of how to lay down a groove and play some fills.

As I say, each to there own. Back in the day when money and space to play in a house was scarce, we found a way. And that's the crux of the whole thing in your last line....It should be fun.

There is no right or wrong way, just your way. My way, back in the dim and distant past, was to play along to records ( remember them?),on pots and pans with sticks my dad made for me. When, years later, I played on a kit for the first time, I already had the muscle memory and the basics of how to lay down a groove and play some fills.

Same here, except in my case it was those big clear margarine tubs that you can't get anymore. I don't ever remember a time I sat at a real drum kit and couldn't play a basic groove, I imagine due to the bashing on tubs. I have no idea what age I was when I did that, I don't remember how I got started at all, it's weird because I don't think I was *that* young..

Wow. First guy on the list was sooo confusing. Totally different. So far out of my comfort zone mostly cuz its not what I expect. Half hour of practice pad, kinda slow, very relaxed. Talking the whole time. Next half hour on the kit just banging around. That's the weird part. He wants me to get used to playing loud and was having me just hit random drums in 16ths continuously keeping volume up. Its hard to tell what he wants me to do though cuz he doesnt tell me. He starts doimg it and I think I am supposed to follow, but its random. So I stop. Confused. He says dont hit than 4 times each just hit them when I feel like it. Like learning letters before words. So it makes sense but it didnt make sense til we were done, so I just felt very awkward the whole time. I feel like a little kid would love it but my brain is trying to find a pattern haha. No books. I think I might maybe go back because its so weird that it might be good for me.

Did you enjoy the lesson, did you feel you got what you wanted out of it, was it fun, even in retrospect? If you cant answer yes to the questions then you may want to try another teacher.

The short answer:

1. Figure out what your goals are.

2. Find a teacher who will help you meet those specific goals and respects your goals.

The longer answer:

If you want to play rock and roll, find a teacher who plays rock.
If you want to play jazz, find a teacher who is well-versed in jazz.
If you want to read charts, find someone who can teach you to read.

Best of luck!

If you really want to be sure, find someone with a reputation of producing good drummers. It's like a teacher's portfolio of work. You may have to travel a bit further, but you don't have to go every week.

I go once a month to one teacher, and once in a blue moon to another teacher who gives me months of work.. They are amazing well known players/teachers and they know what they are doing. I think I frustrate the hell out of them ;-)

That's not to say there aren't good up and coming teachers that haven't yet earn't a reputation. It's a bit of a minefield I guess, there's only so much we can help you from afar!

Above all, make sure the teacher explains things in an easy to understand way.

Make sure he's friendly and patient. That you always feel comfortable asking him about something or to clarify something he's explained that you didn't compute first, second or even 3rd time (or more), knowing he's more than happy to go over it with you until the penny drops. Remember, you're paying him.

Make sure he doesn't hog the lesson time showing off at the kit at how technically brilliant he is.

It doesn't matter how great a teacher can play or how much knowledge he has. If he can't impart it to the student clearly and make a conscious effort to give you positive vibes about your progress, then he's as much use as an inflatable dartboard.

Friendly and patient, as Merlin says, go a long way. The first teacher I had, he would have the most blazing, blasphemous, foul-mouthed arguments with his wife in front of me, which meant he was always in an impatient, foul mood when he sat down in the drum room.

One time I arrived early while he was with a previous student, and his wife sat down with me and whispered that she's leaving him and making sure she got custody of their children. I was just a kid who wanted to play drums.

It all came to a head one week when he screamed at me for being late when I was, in fact, early. I showed him how I'd highlighted the time in my diary with a highlighter pen to make sure, and he accused me of crossing out the time with the highlighter pen. I said, 'Do you know what, mate, I'm not having this.' And walked out, never to return.

Did you enjoy the lesson, did you feel you got what you wanted out of it, was it fun, even in retrospect? If you cant answer yes to the questions then you may want to try another teacher.
Did I enjoy it? Hmm, I felt quite awkward trying to figure out what was going on, but I feel like I COULD have enjoyed it if I had a couple drinks first lol! Not sure what I wanted out of it, but I think I may get something out of it if I stick with this guy. Mostly Im just confused. But its cheap enough to give him a few weeks before writing him off. I think it could be fun, and he didn't tell me to do patterns which threw me off! But if I think about it he is right... It should be about making sounds, and learning how to make sounds comes first. Anyway, I can learn patterns all day at my desk at work with or without a teacher... Lol.

Back