Tony Williams

have to say I agree with you there. Tony's playing is super hot on that record....i think i waas thrown a bit by the different feels of the music. One one hand it doesnt really swing that much for me, but then on the other, it is a beautiful flowing feel that tony gives. Maybe he is just pushing the tempo? Which is kind of a trademark of his, and the opposite in elvin's case. But yeah, still "swinging"

Tony's whole thing was about the buoyant forward floating moving propulsion of the swing beat and pulse in the music.... the constant feeling of a plane accelerating leaving the runway into the air so to speak. What you're probably hearing is the conceptual differences between both music and player but don't kid yourself both Elvin and Tony swing hard coming from the same root "swing" jazz tree. Just 2 different ways of conceptually expressing it for {and within} the music for my ears has always been my take on the subject.

Tony at his creative peak with the great Eric Dolphy (sound, no video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DWeYN14cWk

Tony was very much into the "avant-garde" movement of the time. He could swing you into bad health but he was completely comfortable in rhythmically freer settings.

This track with Tony changed my life as a drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BHlWwwgNwE

The entire 1964 My Funny Valentine + Four & More album did, really. This tune, along with All Blues and My Funny Valentine, in particular, were mind-altering for me. I had never heard a drummer play a ride cymbal like that. Tony swung the hell out of it but he also bashed it and made it shout. He played ridiculously fast turnarounds, altered feels and tempos to double, half or up or down a triplet at will. He drove the band with a huge range of dynamics and unexpected syncopations.

Most of all, he NEVER played a cliche. There were no "licks." He hit the drums when you didn't think he would, and he stopped before - or after - you thought he would. There was always an element of surprise with Tony. That tom roll didn't end with a crash on 1, it just... faded away. Sometimes.

Just a brilliant, genius musician.

Mitch Greenburg, bisondrums.com,. who is building my new set...told me He knows a guy that has tonys old cymbals, and they are HEAVY!

Tony changed my life. No pun inteded.

Ron carter, tony, herbie, trane, miles I think some of my favorite jazz

Hey everyone. On those videos from Tony's drummerworld page, the Stockholm 1967 1-5 videos, does anyone know what type of cymbals he is using. Especially his ride.

I was it is a 24 inch, and sometimes a 22 inch, but heavier than a traditional K of the time. Tony's touch made it appear to be a sound of a lighter cymbal, and also Tony played using his rebound fingers to determine execution. All fingers. different approach.he said he never hit a note he didn't intend. His ride patterns on "my funny valentine and four and more" on the faster tunes, almost, sarcastically, want to give up drums!

THe guy who actually has the cymbals wont get rid of them.

Does anyone know any other albums apart from 'Seven Steps to Heaven' that hes appeared on with Miles Davis, which aren't live albums?

Filles de killamanjaro, miles smiles are two very good albums that aren't live

An amazing album of Tony's that I recommend anyone to get is The Story Of Neptune. His rendition of Blackbird on it is just breathtaking.

Only started listening to Tony recently - when I watched the New York DVD I was blown away. I've literally watched it daily for the last few weeks. Just listening to anything I can get my hands on with him, unbelievable what this guy did and I'm only scratching the surface of hearing it.

Lately I've been looking up Tony Williams. The man sure had power, feel and a great pocket. Seems to me he had a thing for rock as well, judging by his powerfull style.

My favorite subject, one I never get tired of discussing: Tony.

Tony burning the house down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_whk6m67VE (I think the year on this is wrong. It says 1963 but Wayne wasn't in the group yet and Tony wasn't playing four-on-the-floor hi-hat that early. I've seen other stuff that looks the same from 1967, which sounds about right).

Tony more introspective and swinging beautifully. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs6rxYEvrns (his playing is so lyrical and free of cliches on this. Plus, it's a beautiful tune)

Back