Stats vs Stats :)

If possible, we also need an official count on the number of times "Sticks" has been banned, under the aforementioned moniker and subsequent ones. Does anyone really know?

I worked in stats for years and the only time stats ever lied was when I messed up. It's not the poor old numbers' and graphs' fault that manipulative people spin them in illogical (but superficially convincing) ways.

If you don't believe stats quoted by news outlets or people wearing suits* or pearls and you'll be fine.

* Unless it's a Mr Bean type brown suit.

I worked in stats for years and the only time stats ever lied was when I messed up. It's not the poor old numbers' and graphs' fault that manipulative people spin them in illogical (but superficially convincing) ways.

If you don't believe stats quoted by news outlets or people wearing suits* or pearls and you'll be fine.

* Unless it's a Mr Bean type brown suit.
^^^ This. I took a lot of math courses during my college years and stats was the hardest among them. But just like arithmetic, it math at the end of the day and it's as exacting as you need it to be. It's the spinning by people with agendas that give stats the bad rap they don't deservve.

The Lottery is a tax on those who don't appreciate statistics, as a friend of mine likes to say. I'm really hoping to win the lottery myself so I've keeping an eye out for a winning ticket on the sidewalk. Odds of that happening are not all that much worse

Update as of today 11 January 2014...

Top five members with highest post counts:

1. Pollyanna/Anon La Ply 14 191 posts
2. keep it simple 14 104 posts
3. Gruntersdad 14 024 posts
4. larryace 11 697 posts
5. Bobdadruma 9 602 posts

Top five members with the highest average daily posting:

1. Shemp 10.30 posts per day (asked to be banned a week ago)
2. keep it simple 8.52 posts per day
3. Bo Eder 7.31 posts per day
4. Anon La Ply 6.82 posts per day
5. Mad About Drums 6.25 posts per day

... Grea & Andy are still way ahead of the pack, which is nice :)

... and Bo's still ahead for changing drums almost every other week :)

Last edited:
great stats. and when are the playoffs?

maybe I am wrong but I think Shemp asked to be removed, rather than was 'banned'.

Crikey, did Shemp really post so often? No wonder he pissed off so many people, haga.

Mr Madge has a book entitled "How To Lie With Statistics".

I can hardly count to two, but statistics have always fascinated me. There's a programme on BBC radio that is well worth a listen for those who are interested, called "More Or Less". For what my recommendation is worth - if it is indeed quantifiable! - I recommend it.

I post when I have something to say, not to keep my numbers up.

Oops, I just posted when I didn't have anything to say and it brought up my numbers. My bad.

As the Mayor I could be the typical politician and just ramble on about anything.
But now as a mod I must rearrange posts, delete posts, etc. and am only allowed to ramble on about 50 percent of the time. My ramblings have to be much more thought out.

Back