Paint on Bass Head rather than Print?

JonaWilder

I was wondering if painting a couple stripes on the bass head would make a considerable difference to the sound. I would like to have it printed, but for money/style/aesthetic reason I was thinking of just using black paint. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I painted the stock head that came on my kit. The whole thing is covered! There is a significant difference in sound but for me it made it easier to muffle. If you are doing a couple of stripes, I'm sure it wont do much. My whole head is painted. It just sounds a little damp. No huge difference but there is one. Just make sure that when you paint it you do it with the head already on. That way the paint won't get stretched if you were to put it on after. Also, make sure its dry before you remove it. Good luck!

I painted the stock head that came on my kit. The whole thing is covered! There is a significant difference in sound but for me it made it easier to muffle. If you are doing a couple of stripes, I'm sure it wont do much. My whole head is painted. It just sounds a little damp. No huge difference but there is one. Just make sure that when you paint it you do it with the head already on. That way the paint won't get stretched if you were to put it on after. Also, make sure its dry before you remove it. Good luck!

I'm wondering if using an unmuffled bass drum reso, like a smooth white Ambassador/Emperor/Other companies' counterparts and painting it would be a worthy substitute to buying something like a PS3/EQ4 reso with a muffling ring on the inside... I like to run my bass drum wide open, unported and I'd be worried without the muffling ring it would almost be too many overtones and an undesirable sound you'd get from it.

Maybe someone should try this, or maybe I will myself in the future. I just most likely wouldn't because I really don't have a reason to (or ability to lol) paint a bass drum reso head.

I've been wanting to ask for a while...
For my next set of heads, I was going to put logos on each head, could I just to that with Sharpies? Methinks that would be one of the best choices a because they are not too thick, and really easy to work with! I personally don't think they would change the sound anyways, but what other options are there that you guys would recommend. I don't want them to smudge (though I know they will if I hit them), and I want them to last as long as they can before the coating on the heads comes off. What if I wanted to make the logos the size of the head? In small scale, I couldn't expect any issues unless I used tar, but large scale (whole head) might prove to be sonically detrimental. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
In the old days they used to paint on their heads, the effect on sound is virtually un noticeable.

[

Last edited:
Back