The legendary Steve Gadd

Re: So, what is it with Steve Gadd

It will be interesting to look back 20 years from now and see how the amazing technicians compare to Weckl and Vinnie.

As another poster said, context is everything.

To even say JoJo Mayers name in the same sentence with Vinnie, Weckl, and Gadd is absolutely ridiculous. You can find better players on any serious music campus in the US.

To even say JoJo Mayers name in the same sentence with Vinnie, Weckl, and Gadd is absolutely ridiculous. You can find better players on any serious music campus in the US.

man jojo is an awesome drummer dont underestimate

really? not a chance, jut because his name isn't as big as the others, or that he hasn't played with ALL the best guys.
seriously he is one of the best around today, although gadd is great, and IS one of the best, you would have a better chance at spoting a guy as good as gadd than mayer in my opinion, he can do things i have never seen anyone replicate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9iqqSMiQUU

this piece alone is a great musical, technical piece.....no groove, but man he can groove aswell. I'm am not getting into a chops debate, but this guy is leaps and bounds neyond the frey when it comes to both. nobody alive today imo has a left hand like him

Are we allowed to mention Lionel Fingleton in the same sentence as Vinnie, Dave Weckl and Steve? Look, ok, he lost his mullet after the lobotomy but I'm sure it's still there in spirit.

Let's try it out. "Vinnie, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd and Lionel Fingleton are all unreal drummers". That works for me.

There have been some whacky threads here on DW, But this one wins the gold!
What's Up with Gadd!!! I LMAO when I read the first post!
The only thing that is, and has ever been up with Gadd, is his playing ability!

There have been some whacky threads here on DW, But this one wins the gold!
What's Up with Gadd!!! I LMAO when I read the first post!
The only thing that is, and has ever been up with Gadd, is his playing ability!
I know! Might as well have said "So, what is it with God" but they don't allow that religious stuff around here... I'd say this comes pretty close, though! :D

This is truly one strange thread. Steve Gadd is a world-class drummer possessing technique that the rest of us can only envy. He's my idea of what a drummer is: music first, drums second.

His ear for what makes a song happen, just that all by itself puts him up there in the realm of greatness. Steve Gadd is a songwriter and producer's dream drummer. He can play anything and he'll do it with impeccable taste.

That's what it is with Steve Gadd. He's a pro's pro, and every drummer that goes into the recording studio these days is under his shadow. Is there any higher standard to aspire to?

Last edited:

That is absurd as the original post that started this thread.

That is absurd as the original post that started this thread.

That is as absurd. And you don't need the "that started this thread." It's redundant. Original post means the same thing. It's like saying "the mother who gave birth to me."

And Steve Gadd set the modern standard for how to play while the tape is rolling, a standard that has yet to be surpassed.

Gadd is in the details.

Admittedly, I haven't been on this forum long, but that's definitely the best combination of truth and humor I've seen here thus far!

It's redundant. Original post means the same thing. It's like saying "the mother who gave birth to me."

My internet sarcasm detector isn't always the most accurate, but this is funny whether you meant it to be or not. It's reminiscent of this.

My internet sarcasm detector isn't always the most accurate, but this is funny whether you meant it to be or not.

I did indeed mean it to be funny. Being taken seriously frightens the hell out of me.

That is as absurd. And you don't need the "that started this thread." It's redundant. Original post means the same thing. It's like saying "the mother who gave birth to me."

True, but then again, I know mothers who didn't give birth, and woman who did give birth, but aren't mothers.

But that's getting wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic. :p

In other news: The only time I saw Gadd live was during a Simon and Garfunkel acoustic thing at a benefit concert. They brought him out for one song. And I thought, wow, he doesn't come cheap, I can't imagine they flew him up, paid him his fee, flight, hotel, etc, just for ONE song. But apparently they did.

In other news: The only time I saw Gadd live was during a Simon and Garfunkel acoustic thing at a benefit concert. They brought him out for one song. And I thought, wow, he doesn't come cheap, I can't imagine they flew him up, paid him his fee, flight, hotel, etc, just for ONE song. But apparently they did.

Yep. We all wanted that. But Gadd, he brought it and he got it.

With all that's been said here let me just add this. Chick Corea once referred to Steve Gadd as "The finest musician I've ever played with."

Speaks volumns when we consider all the musicians Chick has played with in his career.

Back