RIMS killers

But why are people so obsessed with maximum sustain or resonance in drums? In my experience it wrecks havoc when close micing the drums both live and in the studio.

For most music my ideal at least is to have the toms to have maximum impact, to get in and out as fast as possible and with maximum low end. There are usually other instruments in the band that take care of the sustaining notes and if the drums "sing" they are just taking away valuable space.

You're just saying that because it's a Mapex.

Obviously not Saturns or it would be mounted correct.

What I do like about the Mapex mount is that they don't put stress on the rods but neither does direct to shell mounts. I got the tip of not mounting it to far down on the L arm at a Simon Phillips clinic.

Does it work? Hell I dunno. Doesn't hurt.

Couldn't someone just come up with a way to eliminate the floor?

Tommy Lee is way ahead of you:
tl-rc-set.jpg

I'd love to see something like this for a double-tom stand, and for a cymbal stand that's holding a 14"x12" tom using a cymbal stand attachment. I have a 10" and 12" on a high-end Yamaha double tom stand, and a 14" on a cymbal stand. Maybe I should try to wrap the feet on these stands in a thick layer of foam, but I don't know where I could get any. Either that, or I could wrap them in the cloth from old t-shirts or old towels.

One thing that has always bothered me is the difference of the sound of my drums in different rooms, and it's always because of the floor. Mike Mangini spoke about this in detail in the interview in the latest issue of the Musician's Friend catalog.

Nobody has mentioned the difference in edges in relation to RIMS mounts. Back in the day everybody used a round over or some variation of it. When companies started doing sharper edges( im guessing late 70s early 80s) the RIMS mount showed up. Because IT DID make a difference on kits with sharper bearing edges. Roundovers, not so much...

Back