Derek Roddy here!

Hey Derek,

When asked how to learn fast double bass playing your reply is usually to jump in and play (along to) some fast music. I have tried this method and it's fun but I think I might need some feedback. Recently I have been trying to play along with a pretty fast song (about 160bpm, 16th notes). It worked a couple of times but usually I can't really keep up. My timing gets all sloppy and I feel bad for my housemates who have to listen to that sh-... Would you recommend slowing down (i.e. choosing another song)? Or do I just bite into it and just try until I succeed?

And what about even more extreme tempo's? I can usually play about 140-150 bpm 16ths quite clean but want to reach 180, 190... etc. Would you recommend building it up, gradually choosing faster songs to play with? Or just really jump in and start playing along to songs at 190+ bpm? I cannot get a single hit straight at those speeds, is it even useful to try?

wow i just saw your youtube video of you playing with the metronome on 12.5 BPM...i must admit that is amazing, and i was even more impressed after trying it myself and finding it quite difficult. Just wondering, did you start that at say 30 BPM and then slowly go slower until 12.5 or did you go straight to 12.5.

Seems kind of strange building down in speed, but it makes sense in this situation doesnt it?

Hey D-

Great hang in Austin!! Great job on your clinic!!

Looking forward to seeing you when I am down in FL

Yeah....we're going to video some drum jams this time.
I've got the second kit ready. :)

Those pictures from Todd's are great. Had so much fun.

Shout later when you can.

Cheers.
D.

Hey Derek,

When asked how to learn fast double bass playing your reply is usually to jump in and play (along to) some fast music. I have tried this method and it's fun but I think I might need some feedback. Recently I have been trying to play along with a pretty fast song (about 160bpm, 16th notes). It worked a couple of times but usually I can't really keep up. My timing gets all sloppy and I feel bad for my housemates who have to listen to that sh-... Would you recommend slowing down (i.e. choosing another song)? Or do I just bite into it and just try until I succeed?

And what about even more extreme tempo's? I can usually play about 140-150 bpm 16ths quite clean but want to reach 180, 190... etc. Would you recommend building it up, gradually choosing faster songs to play with? Or just really jump in and start playing along to songs at 190+ bpm? I cannot get a single hit straight at those speeds, is it even useful to try?

The thing about it is......
It never happens as quickly as we'd like. Remember, it took me 5 to 7 years to get to these tempos....not in 6 months.
So yeah....just jump in there and keep pushing because if you're not pushing....you'll never get there.
As far as the actual "learning" of the motions and keeping it clean.....this is when you go back to a comfortable tempo and work on getting it solid.
There is no "one or the other"....it requires both.
But, if you're not pushing and you're just concentrating on perfection first.....well, that will take you 15 years.

Jump in and DO it.

Cheers.
D.

Just wondering, did you start that at say 30 BPM and then slowly go slower until 12.5 or did you go straight to 12.5.

Seems kind of strange building down in speed, but it makes sense in this situation doesnt it?

Thanks a lot man.

I didn't....I don't think. Haha.
I've never "worked" on this really....although, I play and practice to a click all the time.

This whole thing started as a contest on my website because I got tired of every drummer there.... being so concerned about speed.
The point was to prove to them that..... playing slow can be harder than going fast.

In fact, I made this contest 3 months ago and I've gotten 2 entries!!!! Haha. Looks like it's harder than most thought. Haha.

I think the fact that I can do it is because I pay attention to this type of thing and even when playing fast.....the notes HAVE TO be in the right place in order to "feel" right.

Solid time baby....it's what we ALL should be doing.
As far as getting good at slow tempos.....well, just play to a click often and you should get it....no problems.

Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers.
D.

You both look so comfy behind those Masterworks in the pics.....

Derek, see you Saturday!

Great having you over at the house!

Todd

You guys played killer Sat....good to see ya, as always.

And yes....enjoyed your kits!!!!

Cheers brother.
D.

Don't really have a preference. I like Puma speed cat, Vans, Nike quarter tops, Combat boots.....it doesn't matter really to me.

Cheers.
D.

Don't really have a preference. I like Puma speed cat, Vans, Nike quarter tops, Combat boots.....it doesn't matter really to me.

Cheers.
D.

Thanks for the quick response! Haha, glad to see you emphasize practice over equipment, but can you really play just as well in combat boots?

Yeah...I like playing in Combats. Not so stylish these days but.....Haha.
I like a thick sole....boots, or vans, Hi Techs, etc...
The only thin sole shoe I like playing in are the Puma speed cats.

Cheers.
D.

I'm quite new to this forum, and I think it's really awesome that one of my favorite drummers actually answers questions here! I'm swedish, so excuse me if my english is wrong sometimes. Like I said, you're one of my favorites, I'm a big fan of your work. I really love your drumming. That's all I have for now, keep up the good work! Cheers!

I'm quite new to this forum, and I think it's really awesome that one of my favorite drummers actually answers questions here! I'm swedish, so excuse me if my english is wrong sometimes. Like I said, you're one of my favorites, I'm a big fan of your work. I really love your drumming. That's all I have for now, keep up the good work! Cheers!

Haha....word!
Thanks a lot for listening brother. Anytime you have a question....fire away!

Cheers,
D.

Hey whats up D? It's Anthony Chips friend from NY. When are you coming back up the east coast? I have to say man your book has completely changed my life. I saw you back in June at The Collective and in those couple of months I've gained an insane amount of control and my chops have been through the roof. I gotta say the most challenging thing was the breathing. I never realized that i was holding my breath so much haha. To everyone on this forum I highly recommend you purchase this book.

ant,

Hey Derek,
My name is Brandon Braun, I have a question about double bass control.
I reached 16ths at 210 about a week and a half ago, I was sort of shocked because i don't spend as much time on double bass as I do on latin and jazz. I have the problem of starting up, creating enough force to start right up, maybe not right at 210 but maybe 180 or 190 until I really get comfortable with 210. It takes me about a measure until everything locks right into place, any suggestions?

Hey whats up D? It's Anthony Chips friend from NY. When are you coming back up the east coast? I have to say man your book has completely changed my life. I saw you back in June at The Collective and in those couple of months I've gained an insane amount of control and my chops have been through the roof. I gotta say the most challenging thing was the breathing. I never realized that i was holding my breath so much haha. To everyone on this forum I highly recommend you purchase this book.

ant,

Yo Anthony!!!! How's it going?
Thanks so much for the props on the book. Glad you're digging it and it's helping.
Although, you don't seem to need much help! Haha.
Digging the recording you gave me.

Holla anytime. When you see Chip, tell him hello for me.

Cheers.
D.

Back