So I finally sold my *first* kit... -tear-

dkerwood

Silver Member
Over the weekend I finally found a buyer for my first drumset. My grandparents bought it at a garage sale and then took it to the music store to have them fix it up for me. They gave it to me in 7th grade as a birthday present.

14 years later, I find myself selling it to a beaming 6th grader, super excited to own HIS first kit. There's a little twinge of sadness... but it's quickly eliminated as I sit behind my new GMS kit.

Anyway, I tricked out the package with a bunch of stuff that I didn't want/need from my GMS package- some beat up B8Pro hats, a cracked HHX Manhattan, and a cracked Zildjian China Low cymbal. I also threw in some older Luddie hardware- hatstand, and 2 cymbal stands. I gave him my parts Yamaha pedal (I'd picked it up for parts years ago, but ended up rebuilding it- it still never worked as well as the first one I own), and a couple of snare stands for the snare and the tom to round it out. I gave him a stickbag and a couple pairs of cheap sticks, as well as my old cymbal bag and some old aux percussion junk that's been cluttering up my practice room...

Hopefully he sticks with it. I'd hate the thought of that kit cluttering up anybody's closet besides mine. Here's some pics to remember her by:

A shot of her in 2004, before I rebuilt her:
343919.jpg

My band's drummer playing her when he couldn't get his kit up to a long-distance gig:
514624.jpg

514638.jpg

514626.jpg

...and finally, how it was when I sold it:
2039938.jpg

2039939.jpg

It's funny- I bought a big Ludwig kit to replace this one, but ended up going back to this one and leaving the Luddie set up in the practice room. Sigh... Hopefully it will bring this young man as much joy as it brought me.

Better yet, maybe she will bring up the next greatest drummer! I just got my first kit and could not begin to imagine getting rid of her and I have already begun thinking of buying other kits...LOL. I hope the kid loves that kit as much as you did!

I feel for you mate, you never forget your first kit. like the others said, i hope she gives him as much joy as she did you.

Arr I can't imagine getting rid of my first kit, hopefully he uses the kit well.

Tom

Is always sad...........but maybe she will write...........
haha thats hilarious

sorry to hear about your loss though, but at least you brought someone the joy of drumming!!.....wow that was corny......

-Jonathan

Whoa dude. The picture on the top is so cool! Perfect for an album cover! :D
Anyways.. feel sorry for you man, looks like this kit has a big soul! :)

Whoa dude. The picture on the top is so cool! Perfect for an album cover! :D

That was the idea. :) When the highway bypassed my hometown, the only positive thing was that quarter mile of abandoned blacktop. I've used it over and over again...

For example, a newer round of promo shots (even though they're like two years old now)...
418621.jpg

What brand where they? Looks like some old luddie lugs to me.

No badges, no serial numbers, nothing. The wood inside the shells was pretty low-quality, though, which leads me to believe that they were 60's Japanese drums. I had thought that maybe they were old Ludwigs, but I couldn't find any way to really prove that aside from passing similarities in the hardware (most of the hardware was pretty thin, anyway- didn't seem to be Ludwig quality).

That was the idea. :) When the highway bypassed my hometown, the only positive thing was that quarter mile of abandoned blacktop. I've used it over and over again...

For example, a newer round of promo shots (even though they're like two years old now)...
418621.jpg

Duude I got the same Zildjian T-shirt! Cheers!

805Drummer said:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I read minds.

Duude I got the same Zildjian T-shirt! Cheers!

I read minds.

Heh. I bought him that Zildjian shirt for his birthday. The irony is that since then, he's converted almost all of his cymbals over to Sabian.

Back