Recording software

joshthedrumkid97

I would like to start making youtube covers/ drumming videos but I havnt got any experience when it comes to recording drums and video/audio editing. I'm going to buy the Audix DP7 mic kit sometime this year, and I already have a mixer (the box with the mic-ins and line ins?) but I don't know how you get it all onto a computer, and then edit it to be synced with the music that Im playing along to. Can someone please tell me what programs or software i need to get on my computer to make the finished video?

Hi there man,

What you need to connect your mics into your computer is an audio interface. Check them out. There are plenty of them, of various prices and qualities.

Then you need some recording software. Audacity is free to download. I personally use Cubase 5. There are many others.

Cheers!

Hi there man,

What you need to connect your mics into your computer is an audio interface. Check them out. There are plenty of them, of various prices and qualities.

Then you need some recording software. Audacity is free to download. I personally use Cubase 5. There are many others.

Cheers!

Hey - thanks for that. I have audacity but isnt it just an audio editing tool?

Hi there man,

Cheers!

and also where can you get cubase?

and also where can you get cubase?

Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Musician's Friend, Amazon...I think I've even seen it at Best Buy.

-------

Audacity will record a stereo track, so your mix had better be pretty good on the mixer if you use it. Better have a pretty good computer to do audio recording as well. The cheaper interfaces work, but usually have some lag in them, especially if connected to a computer that's not up to spec.

You're going to want a multiple core processor with a minimum of 1.8ghz per core. 4GB RAM, a dedicated firewire or USB 2.0 card (not just the input, I'm talking the whole bus dedicated to the audio interface, so no other USB devices plugged in while using the audio interface).

You're best off buying an interface that has 8x inputs (like a TASCAM US1800) which will also come with Cubase. The multiple input interfaces are much better than the little doo-dads that connect a mixer to the computer.

You need a set of mics and stands, connect these to your mixer or an audio interface which then connects to your laptop. I'd recommend at least 8 XLR inputs, well you could get away with 4 but for a decent recording you probably need at least 8.

Then you need a DAW which enables you to record tracks and then edit them afterwards for your soundtrack (i.e. Logic).
Try a programme called 'Reaper'. It is fantastic!! It only costs about $60 and has all the features of the high end software like Logic and Pro Tools which retail at around £500 here (that's $800 to you guys).

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Then obviously a video camera and some form of editing software like windows movie maker or iMovie.

Hope that helps :)

Hey - thanks for that. I have audacity but isnt it just an audio editing tool?

Audacity is an audio editing tool, but you can definitely record with it as well.

You start with your mics. Once you have those, you need a mixer or an Audio Interface. I'm pretty sure the Audix DP7 has 7 mics, so if you're going the multi-track route, you need an audio interface with at least seven inputs. I would recommend visiting this website to find out which audio interface would work best for you.

If you're mixing it before you record, and you only want a single recording of the whole kit, then Audacity would be fine.

If you're planning on adding effects to your multitrack mix (EQs and Reverb etc.) then I would recommend Reaper, which (as far as I'm aware) has an unlimited free trial period. It is also really cheap, and does essentially the same thing as more expensive programs. It's not exactly industry standard, but if all your doing is drum covers, then that's all you need.

What you will probably want to do is record audio and video at the same time.
You can use a webcam for video if you want, if you have another video recorder then you can probably use that too (provided you can import the video onto your computer).

So the Audio recording goes into your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, in other words whichever program you choose to edit audio with) and the video would go into some form of video editor either directly from your webcam, or by importing the video file.

I'm sure there's a bunch of free video editors that would do the job, I use Adobe Premiere, which isn't cheap. Essentially all you need to do is be able to remove the audio from your video track, and replace it with the audio from your DAW. Most video editors should be able to do this.

Hey presto! Once you export your final video, you have a recording with the polished audio. Then you're free to upload it to Youtube.

I hope that answers your questions and makes some sense :)

Back