Audio Interface

sneakydutch

Alright, so for the past few years of my life I have been saving up money to buy a nice computer, a good audio editing software and a nice set of mics, and now I realize that I know nothing about audio interfaces, so could anyone out there with knowledge of these things give me advice on what to get and what they do and how they work? Basically anything you know about them would be great for me to hear.

I'm planning on doing multiple track recordings and I am looking for something that will leave me with enough money to feed myself with.

Audio interfaces you can plug directly into your computer, I think...

Anyways, they pretty much eliminate the need for microphone pre-amps and that sort of thing. You just plug the mics in, the audio interface plugs right into your computer (preferably through firewire, it's faster and more reliable), and BAM, recording time!

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. You can do all the mixing using your recording software, if you're using ProTools, Cubase, or something similar.

I recommend the Presonus Firepod! I think it's 10 inputs, firewire, goes right to the computer, and you can daisy chain them. You can record a full band with one interface, and they're really reliable and sound great, depending on how good your mics are (good mics obviously sound good, it doesn't make bad microphones sound decent).

That's my understanding of how they work anyways, maybe someone else can tell you something a little more detailed. I'd certainly like to learn more.

Thank you so much that was exactly what I was hoping some one would tell me. So I checked out the fire pod and it is right in my price range, but I'm fully sure of what pre-amps do so could someone explain that to me?

The FirePod again gets another recommendation. Just to correct, it has eight inputs - but eight outputs too... the MOTU 8Pre is a nice bit of kit, but only has two analogue outputs. Both have decent preamps and the 8Pre has ADAT capacity - but I'd take the FirePod. Interfaces now are highly reliable and relatively cheap.

I don't quite get why so many outputs? What do you use those for? Oh, and what sort of hardware requirements are there for the computer?

I'm currently running an intel dual core 3.0 Ghz with 2 gb of ram and an on-board sound card. I don't think the sound card matters, because the digibox bypasses that right? Anyway, I also have a Sony Vaio Laptop with a 2.36 Ghz core duo processor and 3 gb of ram. Are these going to do the job?

I'm in the market for one of these things too, but I really can't decide if going with something below $200 is going to work for me or not. I'm not sure if I should be spending $600 right now.

Also, what's the difference between FP10 and the firestudio, besides a hundred bucks?

I don't quite get why so many outputs? What do you use those for? Oh, and what sort of hardware requirements are there for the computer?

I'm currently running an intel dual core 3.0 Ghz with 2 gb of ram and an on-board sound card. I don't think the sound card matters, because the digibox bypasses that right? Anyway, I also have a Sony Vaio Laptop with a 2.36 Ghz core duo processor and 3 gb of ram. Are these going to do the job?

I'm in the market for one of these things too, but I really can't decide if going with something below $200 is going to work for me or not. I'm not sure if I should be spending $600 right now.

Also, what's the difference between FP10 and the firestudio, besides a hundred bucks?

The FireStudio has apparently better preamps and ADAT capability. I wouldn't say that the FP10's preamps are actually lacking though and I don't use ADAT, so the extra expense isn't worth it for me. The FireStudio also has more bundled with it like Cubase LE and the like. The FireStudio has 26 inputs and outputs apparently. Although I'm more interested in the number of mic preamps seeing as that's the primary input source I'd be dealing with. (May have to re-wire my guitar as an XLR output...)

Those specs you quoted are good enough - but do you run FireWire? If you only have USB, the interfaces won't work. Just thought I'd point it out. I have FireWire and USB, so that's not a problem for me and next year I'm going to try and pick up a FirePod, hopefully the older one for second hand. Eight outputs is highly useful if you're anything like me and am into live computer use. I'm currently experimenting with Max/MSP - so having multiple outputs is something I could use to send signals to a PA. Sorted.

Last edited:
The Firepod / Firestudio is a great way to get going fast. It has Cubase LE so you have a pretty good DAW start with the software.

The Cubase.net forum is a great place to get Cubase and really any recording help.

The trick on the computer is to set it up correctly.

Here is a document that talks about how to set up your PC, I have been using the same PC for about 3 years without ant problems.

http://www.robertmdrums.com/misc_pics/W2k_XP_Optimize.pdf

Didgidesign digi-02.

Since the introduction of the 03, the price for the 02 has become incredibly affordable and it still is capable of running the latest version of pro-tools, ver 7.4 LE. The biggest consideration you should adress is what O/S? Everyone has their opinions, but go talk to PROs not HOBBYISTs. The pros use pro-tools, its capabilities are beyond the other software options.

If you can afford more, buy a pre-sonus firepod and download the latest firmware and go line-out on each channel directly into the digi 02 and just use it for it's great tube pre's.

If you can afford even more, also get a presonus digimax d-8 and use the adat optical i/o right into the 02 also for a grand total of 16 channels, all digital running nice presonus tube mic pres into pro-tools 7.4. All this for under $1500, you'll have one serious recording rig.

On the other end, ultra cheapy home project, check out the lexicon omega, running cubase LE. Computer based multitrack 8 channel studio with software for 150 bucks? Damn, when i was a kid, i had a 4 channel tascam recording to CASSETTE for twice the price. I also used to walk 5 miles to school each way, barefoot in the snow with my little sister on my back, uphill, BOTH WAYS.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the Digidesign Hardware, I've been using ProTools at University and whilst the software is great (Logic beats it because of the sequencer, but for pure audio editing, ProTools is excellent) the part that lets down ProTools, particularly LE, is the interface. It's unreliable and not terribly well made. Right now it's having lots of problems with OS X Leopard (conflicts with other programmes trying to access Core Audio - Max/MSP and the like) and won't be fixed until the middle of next year - by which time Snow Leopard will be out and that will also need fixing. It's also a shame that the LE version of ProTools is so cut down. Sixteen tracks isn't enough for a lot of the work I do (although region editing is useful) and the Plugins aren't exactly top-drawer either.

On the other hand, for the same money (after interface costs and software costs are accounted for) you could run Logic Studio 8 (the professional version - (if you had a Mac)) with a Presonus FirePod. Yes please.

Not a fan of the Digidesign Hardware, I've been using ProTools at University and whilst the software is great (Logic beats it because of the sequencer, but for pure audio editing, ProTools is excellent) the part that lets down ProTools, particularly LE, is the interface. It's unreliable and not terribly well made. Right now it's having lots of problems with OS X Leopard (conflicts with other programmes trying to access Core Audio - Max/MSP and the like) and won't be fixed until the middle of next year - by which time Snow Leopard will be out and that will also need fixing. It's also a shame that the LE version of ProTools is so cut down. Sixteen tracks isn't enough for a lot of the work I do (although region editing is useful) and the Plugins aren't exactly top-drawer either.

On the other hand, for the same money (after interface costs and software costs are accounted for) you could run Logic Studio 8 (the professional version - (if you had a Mac)) with a Presonus FirePod. Yes please.

Alright so today I went out and got a mac and logic studio 8, a 25 key keyboard and a korg padKontrol and I still need mics and an interface. Based on all the Presonus Firepod suggestions I think that I will get that (when I get more cash) and I was thinking about getting a 52beta and 3 57's to round it all out. Got any more suggestions?

I had a Firepod, it's pretty good for the price. I now have a Profire 2626 that I like more, although it is 699. The Profire can be used with Pro Tools as well as any other software. So it just depends on what youre willing to spend, you could buy a used Firepod for half of what the Profire 2626 costs. Make sure that you have enough left over for some cables and mic stands

Alright so today I went out and got a mac and logic studio 8, a 25 key keyboard and a korg padKontrol and I still need mics and an interface. Based on all the Presonus Firepod suggestions I think that I will get that (when I get more cash) and I was thinking about getting a 52beta and 3 57's to round it all out. Got any more suggestions?

My suggestion is to get a pair of condensers instead of the 3 57's. Get something like a pair of Rode NT5's or AKG C1000's and then get one 57. The kick drum mic is your choice, I personally prefer the Audix D6, but the Beta 52 is as good as anything else.

Incidentally, what did you get Mac wise? Check it has a FireWire port before you buy a FirePod, some of the new MacBooks don't have a FireWire port. The new iMacs still do, however. I'm running an old 20" iMac and it has two FireWire 400 ports, the newer ones I use in my lectures (24" model) also have the two 400 ports. Just double check.

Spend some time with Logic 8. Get to know it well - it's a fantastic bit of software and the sequencing is second to none.

Back