HELP: my dw3000

allhaildrummer

hey guys, first post as a member, but i frequent this site a lot before. figured id join you. ok so my problem is my dw3000 cant keep up with the speeds that i am trying to play. i am using the double pedal. i play metal, and these are the pedals i got to start out drumming i started a few months ago at the request of a friend to start a band. i have the beaters as far back as they can go so i have as much "rebound" i guess i can call it. but the footboard wont come back up to my feet quick enough. and now my feet always hurt because my beaters are hitting the tops. i think that i need a new pedal but if there is something i can do to help this that would be awesome. these pedals have never let me down, and it is only just recently that i am actually playing "too fast' for them i guess. i could be wrong and missing something. but i hope someone can help with this. thanks!

Are you using the stock beaters? I have a DW 3002 also, and the beaters that come stock are about the heaviest on the market. Maybe try switching them out for some lighter beaters. Just go to your local drum store and see what they have for light, fast, beaters.

yea im still using the stock beaters. i never even thought to change them and see if that helped. ive only been playing drums for a few months with no lessons or anything. thanks so much for the advice. ill see if this helps!

any advice on what to look for in a better beater? haha. thanks again.

i was just looking at the tama beaters and read mixed reviews about them but i like the idea of the wood. have you had any experience with them?

the felt ones came stock on iron cobras, seemed to be sufficient weight to get good power but not heavy or sluggish, never tried the wood or rubber though.

I have the pearl ones on my pearl 900 double bass and seem to be just the right weight for power and speed.

cool thanks for the help! i think ill take a shot and see how the wood ones are. hopefully it works out.

Sounds to me like you need to tighten your spring tension, the weight of the beater head doesn't mean squat in terms of footboard return speed, that's your spring's job.

spring tension? im not sure how to do that. sadly. as i said ive only been playing a few months and never really messed with anything until it seemed to need fixing. so for a beginner, could you help me out? haha. i have it so that the beaters come back away from the drum head as far as possible which is the best they have felt so far, but the beaters hitting my feet sucks.

spring tension? im not sure how to do that. sadly. as i said ive only been playing a few months and never really messed with anything until it seemed to need fixing. so for a beginner, could you help me out? haha. i have it so that the beaters come back away from the drum head as far as possible which is the best they have felt so far, but the beaters hitting my feet sucks.

On each side of the right pedal (assuming you're a righty) you'll see the springs. At the base of each spring is a round thin nut that you loosen and then pull the bottom of the spring down and tighten the metal "rod". You can also unhook the spring from the cam which will make it a bit easier and then rehook it when you're done tightening. justmake sure to retighten the flat nut when you're done. .

It might also help to move the beater actually closer to the head--less distance for the beater to travel from "resting" position to striking the bass drum head. Also, having the beater hit in the center (or near the center) of the bass drum is helpful for speed...and it sounds better.

I can't speak for the DW 3000's, but I can say that Slug makes some really nice beaters:

http://www.slugdrums.com/SlugWebPages/Power.Head.html

Aside from that; take a while and mess around with all the adjustments on the pedals. You'd be surprised how much you can tweak the feel--even on "lower end" pedals.

Hope this helps.

Back