need help adjusting kick drum head

Blood Muffin

hi everyone, so i bought a evans emad drum head a week ago because my stock head started to dent and eventually rip. i also bought the evans double bass patch to protect my head this time. i have the $100 pdp double bass with the plastic beaters.
my problem is this, the right side of the patch is already wearing off and the head is actually starting to dent a little and it has only been played a couple of times. i do not play overly hard or anything so i dont know why this would already be happening... does anybody have any suggestions on what i should do to fix this problem? i spent 45 dollars on this head and i want it to last.

thank you

Try a piece of moleskin purchased from the foot department of a pharmacy.

Re: need help adjusting kick drum

if the tension is tight is that bad? because i have it that way to build stamina in my legs

It shouldn't be if you're not hitting hard. Try different beaters (ask a friend to swap if you can), or the moleskin idea is pretty good. Maybe check the beater angle to make sure they're not pushing down 'through' the head, kind of scraping the head as it hits. That's how a lot of heads I've seen have gotten dents. You want them to hit as flat on as possible, and let them bounce off.

Ditto to the beater swap thing.

Or do what Benny Greb does sometimes and tape a sweatband to the beater. Although, he does this to get a warmer 'jazzy' tone rather than to get more durability out of the bass head. I suppose it works both ways though.

xoxo

Back