questions about trick pedals

drummingman

Gold Member
i have been looking at the trick pro1-V double pedal and i have a few question for those of you that have one. i have read that the pedal seems to slide around when its being played. is this true? if so that seems like it would be a real pain in the butt. how is the throw on the pedal when it is being played? i used to have an axis A longboard double pedal and that had like no throw at all which i did not like.
i read that trick were not at namm this year. i find that kind of odd. does that mean that they might not be around for much longer?
thanks for the help eveybody!!

i have been looking at the trick pro1-V double pedal and i have a few question for those of you that have one. i have read that the pedal seems to slide around when its being played. is this true? if so that seems like it would be a real pain in the butt. how is the throw on the pedal when it is being played? i used to have an axis A longboard double pedal and that had like no throw at all which i did not like.
i read that trick were not at namm this year. i find that kind of odd. does that mean that they might not be around for much longer?
thanks for the help eveybody!!

I use the bigfoot version. They don't have spikes, but they have rough plastic strips that act like a thicker velcro on carpet.

I placed all four strips laterally on the bottom of my foot boards. My drum room has medium carpeting. The pedal doesn't slide.

As to throw: you can adjust it from a millimeter away from the drumhead to several inches, or a long arc. The trick geometry is not like axis. The axis needs the sonic hammer to compensate for lack of power. The Trick has power with any beater.

Last edited:
or wait to try the new pearl demon drive?

I read that kind of thing all the time. Yes, he could do that. But he asked about TRICK pedals and it's best to frame your answer around his inquiry. "Do you like the taste of lays potato chips?" "Wait...have you tried doritos?"

or wait to try the new pearl demon drive?

I tried it at NAMM, and although it's a really nice pedal, it's not a Trick.

As for the Trick slave pedal sliding around, it can, but some heavy-duty Velcro on the bottom curtails it.

I've also got the new Trick Dominator, which is a very nice pedal. It's a little lighter (speedier?) to my foot than the Pro1v, but has plenty of oomph with its new aluminum beater ball:
trickbtr.jpg

It has some Velcro on the base, and also kind of sharp 'cups' at its front (and under the BD rim) that seem to dig in. I used it on a BD without spiked legs - '80s Rogers with the big legs & rubber crutch tip - and the drum and pedal didn't move or shift at all.

Bermuda

I've also got the new Trick Dominator, which is a very nice pedal. It's a little lighter (speedier?) to my foot than the Pro1v, but has plenty of oomph with its new aluminum beater ball:
trickbtr.jpg

Bermuda

Mike Dorfman is making a side snare for me right now (12x6) I have asked if he can send me a pair of those beaters with the snare order. The standard disc beaters that come with the bigfoot don't quite have the oomph I want.

Last edited:
do you endorse trick pedals trkdrmr? i ask because i am trying to see what people think of the trick pedals before i buy them because there are not places in my area that caryy them. if you do endorse them why did you choose to do so? do the pedals have a good amount of throw, meaning unlike an axis which i dont like? do the pedals come with the velcro strips or was that something you had to buy yourself from another store?
thanks

do you endorse trick pedals trkdrmr? i ask because i am trying to see what people think of the trick pedals before i buy them because there are not places in my area that caryy them. if you do endorse them why did you choose to do so? do the pedals have a good amount of throw, meaning unlike an axis which i dont like? do the pedals come with the velcro strips or was that something you had to buy yourself from another store?
thanks

The trick geometry is closer to an iron cobra than the axis. It can swing a very long arc if you need to. The angle of the beater, footboards and cam are all independently adjustable. I like them (the bigfoot long board version) better than axis simply because of 1) Convenience of the spring tensioner and 2) The trick has a much better mechanical advantage than the axis. You can set it up for the "speed freak" just a short distance from the drum head, or standard distances, or way back so you can Bonham your kick all you want.

As to quality and feel: The feel is more conventional for me than the axis, and easier for the average person to get accustom to IMO. The pedals come with a hard plastic velcro-like set of strips that grip the carpet very well. Velcro adhesive is available at any wal-mart or home depot anyway.

If trick did not exist, my choice would be between the axis a longboard and the Pearl demon drive...I'd say "let the best alternative win." I would likely opt for the axis, because it's made in the USA and it's important for us to support the jobs at home right now, more than ever. That's also why I beelined for Trick.

thanks

I own the trick pro1v detonator double bigfoot as well. The velcro comes with them. Whatever parameter you mean when you say "Throw", trick has it. It is the most customizeable pedal ever built and it can do anything you can think of that a pedal should do except 2 things: #1: it cannot adjust horizontal pitch orientation once the base plate is flat on the ground (in case your feet are pronated slightly like mine, The bottom soles of my feet are pointed very slightly toward each other at rest, not flat against the floor, but hey, no pedal ever made can do this). #2 You cannot achieve " assist" no matter how you adjust tension; assist being momentum, the way a DW 5002 "leads" you once you reach top speed. So, you can angle your foot at any starting position you desire and any ending position you desire and adjust the pedal accordingly. You can determine the starting orientation angle of the beater from right off the head to all the way back. You can also determine the length of the stroke that the beater will take and the angle it travels within the preset parameters of your starting position and ending position up to 3 different settings: a super short stroke for speed, a long stroke (throw?) for power or middle ground between the two. Only the pearl demon, not available til May, can do this and it has only a 2 way adjustment. I chose them over axis because it uses compressed spring action as opposed to stretch spring. That action is unique to Old Premier compression pedals, Ludwig speed king, ghost and now Trick's.

thank you both for the info.
"#2 You cannot achieve " assist" no matter how you adjust tension; assist being momentum, the way a DW 5002 "leads" you once you reach top speed" what do you mean by this dio? do you mean that the pedal does not help you out at all at top speeds?
i play both heels up and heels down. is the trick big foot good for that? i get a lot of power heels down and heels up on my DW 8000 and im trying to see if i can get that same power with the trick pro1-V pedal.
also, i heard that trick was not at namm this year. does that mean that trick are not going to be around much longer? i know thats a big guess but i want to make sure that if i pay that amount of money for a pedal that the company that makes it is going to be around for a long time.
Convenience of the spring tensioner is a huge reason why im looking at the trick. i think that was an awesome design element!
i know that the demon drive is not out yet but how do you guys think that the demon drive will compare to the trick pedal? i ask because im trying to decide between the demon drive and the trick pro1-V.
also, im trying to make sure that the trick and the demon drive dont feel like the axis. i had the axis A longboard double pedal and i did not like the feel of it that much. i will be looking to get a double pedal of either the trick or the demon drive. which do you guys think will be the better pedal? i know its hard to know being that the pearl is not out but i would like your opinions.

it cannot adjust horizontal pitch orientation once the base plate is flat on the ground (in case your feet are pronated slightly like mine, The bottom soles of my feet are pointed very slightly toward each other at rest, not flat against the floor, but hey, no pedal ever made can do this).

That's a valid issue for a lot of people.
This is something drum companies should pay attention to. I think it would be pretty simple to create some form of dual-pivot/bearing system to provide for that adjustment. It may add to the price of a pedal but it would address certain orthopedic issues.

If it's a great product, why would the possibility of them going out of business detour you?

Trick isn't going out of business by the way

i also read that the beater that comes with the pro1-V was not that good. somebody said that the beater did not hold up well and that it impact pad on it broke easy. is this true? if so does the pedal feel good with other beaters?

If it's a great product, why would the possibility of them going out of business detour you?

Trick isn't going out of business by the way
i was thinking about if i needed parts for the trick pedal or something like that. i have had the same questions about pearl discontinuing the demon drive if it does not sell well because of the price. if i bought that pedal i would want to be able to get parts for it if anything on it broke.

i also read that the beater that comes with the pro1-V was not that good. somebody said that the beater did not hold up well and that it impact pad on it broke easy. is this true? if so does the pedal feel good with other beaters?

I think it's a good quality beater, but I prefer the oomph that comes with a traditional beater and have changed them out. The pedal definitely feels terrific with a standard Gibraltar-type plastic beater, and I'm using wood beaters on my practice kit.

Ultimately, I'll get more of the Dominator's aluminum beaters and use them on the the Pro1-v

Bermuda

what do you think of the demon drive and how does it compare to the trick pro1-V?

I think Pearl has a winner with the new pedal, for all the reasons direct-drive pedals are popular. The feel to my foot is lighter than the Trick, maybe not quite as smooth, but still a fast pedal. I would call it the poor-man's-Trick, but I don't know how it's priced. High-end pedals crossed the $200 mark a while back, and Trick may have been the first to cross $300. If Pearl's pedal stays under $200, they can take a bite out of DW and Trick's market. But if it goes past $250, drummers may pay the extra $50-70 and get the Trick instead.

Anyway, if there was no Trick pedal, I'd really like the Demon.

Bermuda

I've been playing a Trick Pro1-V for a month or so and it's great. I didn't care for the factory beater either. I'm using a DW two way beater and it works great.

The new aluminum beater looks pretty cool. I'll have to try one out.

thank you both for the info.
"#2 You cannot achieve " assist" no matter how you adjust tension; assist being momentum, the way a DW 5002 "leads" you once you reach top speed" what do you mean by this dio? do you mean that the pedal does not help you out at all at top speeds?
i play both heels up and heels down. is the trick big foot good for that? i get a lot of power heels down and heels up on my DW 8000 and im trying to see if i can get that same power with the trick pro1-V pedal.

What i mean by momentum, is that the weight of the beaters and the stretchiness of the spring pull them toward the head on the DW5002. I always felt like i wasn't 100% in control of it and it was leading me to an extent. To that end, the 5002 is a great pedal if you do a lot of sustained blast beats as it requires less energy to sustain the roll, kind of like cruising on a bicycle how momentum helps the pedals turn. With the trick and any other compression pedal, it goes only exactly how fast your foot goes.

Back