Ludwig Vintage 80's (I think)

jmf-tt

Here's my kit. Pretty humble compared to some really awesome and nice kits I've seen on this forum. But hey they're mine, they're loud and sound great. Suggestions Welcomed.

Attachments

• DSCN0733.JPG
    DSCN0733.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCN0734.JPG
    DSCN0734.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 497
Awesome set! From what I can see, it appears they are late 70's Ludwigs, excellent drums. That setup looks realllly fun to play, the only thing I'd suggest is more toms!

Great kit!

Sweet kit. 6 ply shells. Is that an 18" floor? I drove a Luddie 6 ply 26, 15, 16, 18 for a fair number of years. Great sounding drums.

I think it's mid 70's...do the badges have pointy or round corners? They look to be pointy.

Would 80's even be considered vintage? It's just like me turning on the classic rock radio station the other day and hearing them play Spoonman by Soundgarden. I couldn't believe it! I guess enough time has passed and I'll just have to except the things (like "vintage 80's drumkits" and "90s classic rock") that don't make sense to me...

Beautiful drum you have there!!!!

I love the color!!!!

Looks fun to play!!!!

Would 80's even be considered vintage?

In the context of, yes. One definition of vintage is simple "not of the current era". As the 6 ply shell is not a current production shell, and the blue/olive badge went out-of-print, replaced by the Monroe badge, and then re-issued. They weren't built in the 90's or the current decade. Clothing works the same way, anything from another "era" can be vintage. In terms of wine, where I believe the word originated, "vintage" simple means 75, 85, or 95% of the wine in a dated bottle must be from that year. Depends on who's scale you're using, and in what country you're in. Hence, you could be drinking a vintage wine from 2007, 1997 or 1957. Some hard-core car snobs might hold fast the term "vintage car" to mean the years between 1919 and 1930, and no other years. But there are plenty of car shows out there every night and/or weekend that hark vintage 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's.

Humble, schmumble, these look awesome. They've got to sound great for sure. Specs on cymbals?

In the context of, yes. One definition of vintage is simple "not of the current era". As the 6 ply shell is not a current production shell, and the blue/olive badge went out-of-print, replaced by the Monroe badge, and then re-issued. They weren't built in the 90's or the current decade. Clothing works the same way, anything from another "era" can be vintage. In terms of wine, where I believe the word originated, "vintage" simple means 75, 85, or 95% of the wine in a dated bottle must be from that year. Depends on who's scale you're using, and in what country you're in. Hence, you could be drinking a vintage wine from 2007, 1997 or 1957. Some hard-core car snobs might hold fast the term "vintage car" to mean the years between 1919 and 1930, and no other years. But there are plenty of car shows out there every night and/or weekend that hark vintage 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's.

6. the class of a dated object with reference to era of production or use: a hat of last year's vintage.

Awesome set! From what I can see, it appears they are late 70's Ludwigs, excellent drums. That setup looks realllly fun to play, the only thing I'd suggest is more toms!

Great kit!

The set has 4 more toms, but room and learning to use all of them is the factor...hopefully I'll get there soon!...Thanks

Humble, schmumble, these look awesome. They've got to sound great for sure. Specs on cymbals?

Thanks...I have medium Paiste PST5 hi hats, 17" Avedis Zildjian medium -thin crash, 18" Medium Crash, 20" Avedis Zildjian Ride (both Crash/Ride same year as the kit) and an 18" Zildjian China Boy High.

Last edited:
Dude, you have to set the whole thing up at least once - outside maybe. That sounds like a beast. I had an old Tama Imperialstar with 7 concert toms when I was in high school. I sold it like a dumb kid, but I really wish I still had it.

Very cool!

Question, does it have a bearing edge on the bottom?

I believe Ludwig used to use the same shells for standard and concert toms.

Slingerland did not. The bottom of the shell was a straight cut off.

Very cool!

Question, does it have a bearing edge on the bottom?

I believe Ludwig used to use the same shells for standard and concert toms.

Slingerland did not. The bottom of the shell was a straight cut off.

It has a bearing edge on the bottom...

Back