Sonor Perfect Balance not sitting flat on ground...

nathaniel_h

I just purchased a Sonor Perfect Balance today, and I've been really enjoying it except for one thing. The weight of my bass drum presses the clamp down far enough so that the heel of the PB lifts off the ground a little bit. Which, because of this, I think introduces another problem: the single post ends up wobbling when playing.

I don't have a wood hoop on my bass drum as it's a cheaper drum set so it could be because of that, but I have no way to test it. It's not a huge issue, and I'd keep it anyway, it just bothers me a little bit. In the videos I see it perfectly flat on the ground, but I can't seem to adjust it properly or something...

You might have to loosen your bass drum spurs and experiment where the pedal will sit flat when you tighten the clamp down. I tend to have to do that with every new pedal I try. I put the pedal on the ground, slip the bass drum into the clamp area without tightening it down, then adjust the spur height to accommodate the pedal. Sometimes guys like their bass drums tilted upwards and this can really affect the connection of the pedal. Sometimes I find the bass drum is actually straight with the floor after I adjust stuff.

Was gonna say what bo said. Your kick is prob raised up at the front. Lower it.

Apart from what Bo said, I'm thinking you might have your kit set up on a carpet that's too thick, allowing the front of the pedal to sink into the "ground". Is that a possibility.

Yup. Double layer carpet made it uneven just enough to mess everything up. My bass drum was pretty much perfectly straight with about a finger-width of space between the floor and the front side. The single post on the pedal still wobbles when playing, but that's probably to be expected. (or just because I don't have a flat hoop, and I don't want to over tighten the clamp)

Yup. Double layer carpet made it uneven just enough to mess everything up. My bass drum was pretty much perfectly straight with about a finger-width of space between the floor and the front side. The single post on the pedal still wobbles when playing, but that's probably to be expected. (or just because I don't have a flat hoop, and I don't want to over tighten the clamp)

Maybe its time to upgrade to a nice wooden hoop? You should be able to do that rather cheaply, especially if your bass drum is 22-incher.

That's a pretty neat idea. Really I need to just save up for an entire drum kit though. xP I've been playing on a $300 set for 10 years... My cymbals have been obviously upgraded. My pedals. My hardware. Just not the set yet.

The "problem" with me is I always wait until I can get my absolutely favorite item. No middle grounds. So I stick with the cheap stuff for far too long. But maybe that just saves me money. And my kit doesn't sound completely terrible, after-all.

That's a pretty neat idea. Really I need to just save up for an entire drum kit though. xP I've been playing on a $300 set for 10 years... My cymbals have been obviously upgraded. My pedals. My hardware. Just not the set yet.

The "problem" with me is I always wait until I can get my absolutely favorite item. No middle grounds. So I stick with the cheap stuff for far too long. But maybe that just saves me money. And my kit doesn't sound completely terrible, after-all.

Not a "problem" IMO! You're probably smarter than the rest of us that goes through several levels of equipment, only to end up with the stuff we should've bought in the first place. LOL

Well, I can't say "the rest of us", but I know I have spent more money than I would've just going high-end in the first place.

Not a "problem" IMO! You're probably smarter than the rest of us that goes through several levels of equipment, only to end up with the stuff we should've bought in the first place. LOL

Well, I can't say "the rest of us", but I know I have spent more money than I would've just going high-end in the first place.

+1............only the Lord knows how much money I've wasted over the years...................not just on drums, but tools, cars, etc.

Back