The Pre-Packaging of sticks

I've never broken a stick (no wonder, mostly pad work) yet but to me it seems logical to get a new pair in case one stick breaks - that is, if you bought matched sticks. The orphan stick would be put aside and used next time when another stick breaks. So you're either using "correct" pairs or two orphan sticks forming a pair. That's what I'm imagining I'd do.

Also, I'd roll them. The first few pairs of sticks I bought I didn't do so as I was a total beginner at that time. And the only pair of sticks which I ordered unrolled, unseen and unchecked turned out to be my favourite stick so far, with one stick being slightly warped. My store doesn't stock them so I don't have a way to eliminate warped sticks of that model, damn.

I've never broken a stick (no wonder, mostly pad work) yet but to me it seems logical to get a new pair in case one stick breaks.

Much quicker and easier to grab one stick with which ever hand the broken one was in and keep playing. I can keep a beat going with only one hand......wouldn't be possible to do if both hands were occupied reaching for sticks.

Much quicker and easier to grab one stick with which ever hand the broken one was in and keep playing. I can keep a beat going with only one hand......wouldn't be possible to do if both hands were occupied reaching for sticks.
In a live situation - of course. When practicing (that's what I assumed) you have all the time.

BTW, having seen that Vic Firth video on how they manufacture and pair their sticks it's quite hard for me to even imagine warped sticks leaving their factory, let alone getting into the stores.

In a live situation - of course. When practicing (that's what I assumed) you have all the time.

BTW, having seen that Vic Firth video on how they manufacture and pair their sticks it's quite hard for me to even imagine warped sticks leaving their factory, let alone getting into the stores.

Unfortunately, with the finishes that most stick manufacturers use, the moisture content of sticks can change with transit and storage. As a result, although the sticks may leave the factory straight they often warp after leaving the factory.

I buy by the brick, & although I very rarely encounter a warped one, I do find differences in weight between matched pairs. Finding different densities is what I expect to find. That's how wood is. When I bust a stick, it's orphan goes into the single section of my bag, & waits until I find a match for it.

You know, since they started packaging sticks in their own little sleeves with the assurance that they have been "matched", I've just taken them at their word and never thought much about it. I've never bought sticks in bundles because sticks usually last me a long time. But I used to roll them and check the timbre of the sticks compared to each other. I used to work with a drummer who taught me about sticks and what to check for. I think you have convinced me to do QC again and not just take the stick companies at their word. I've been using VF lately because I like the tips and they are pretty consistent and don't break as easily as the ProMarks I was playing for years. The wood tip of the Zildjian 5A's I tried broke off after one set. Haven't really came across any real bananas but if you buy bundles, I can see that happening.

Finding different densities is what I expect to find. That's how wood is. When I bust a stick, it's orphan goes into the single section of my bag, & waits until I find a match for it.

Same here. I rarely break a stick. I use mostly wood tips and the tips and/or shoulder usually give out long before any breakage. Once a tip gains a soft spot; my rides cry. That singles section is getting large though.

I figure that the sticks may be matched and straight in the factory, but who knows what might happen to them physically between the time they are made and the time they end up in my hands.

Dennis

It's too bad the Ahead sticks are a little too heavy for what they are. I'd love to use them but all that sensitivity I'm used to with wood just go out the window with the Ahead sticks. Lovely in concept, though.

I figure that the sticks may be matched and straight in the factory, but who knows what might happen to them physically between the time they are made and the time they end up in my hands.

Dennis

Yes....and I can't be guaranteed that the packaged pair are the original pair that came in that package, especially since guys will sometimes have a tendency to take the pairs out, roll the sticks, take the ones they like, and put the rest back.
I buy Vic 5a's by the brick, take off all the packaging, give them a quick roll, then put them in my stickbag. That's about as matched as they get for me.
If I find duds they lay on the practice room floor as backups.

As far as pre-packaging, DW were at one time making drum sticks. I don't know if they still are or if that was just a trial, but they had these matched, weighted sticks that had the dimensions and weights printed right on them, and were of varying weights on the tip and butt of the stick. Did any of you guys try those? Yeah, they were expensive, but the idea was pretty cool.
And they added a 3rd matched stick as a replacement.
Anyway, I got a chance to try out a couple of sets, and then never saw them again. Another fad, I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 135
Back