Which Sticks?

shezza

Hi all I have just taken delivery of my new Yamaha DTX700K and suprise suprise there are no sticks included with it! So my question is which sticks should I buy, I am a beginner and do electronic pads require different sticks to acoustic drums...........Many Thanks Pete.

Hi all I have just taken delivery of my new Yamaha DTX700K and suprise suprise there are no sticks included with it! So my question is which sticks should I buy, I am a beginner and do electronic pads require different sticks to acoustic drums...........Many Thanks Pete.

If you live close to a music store of any kind that sells sticks, you will need to try out several pairs and make your decision based on what feels best.

The 5A model is a medium-diameter, average-length stick that is many drummers' first stick. If you have average-sized hands you might try these first. They come about .555" in diameter and usually about 16" in length.

If you have larger hands, you may find the 5B (usually about .575" and 16.25") or the 2B (.610-.630 and 16.5") more to your liking. If you have smaller hands, a lighter stick such as the 7A (.535" x 15.75") may be a better choice.

These are simply the most common stick models on the market, and every manufacturer sells them (although the diameter and length, as well as the balance, finish, and tip, vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer). On top of these, all the stick makers offer a cornucopia of signature models and specialty models that use different proportions, tapers, grips, tips, finishes, and even woods (maple and oak are popular alternatives to the standard hickory stick). Some stick makers (such as Ahead) make sticks out of materials other than wood.

So, to reiterate: while I have given you some basic advice on where to start looking, you will need to get sticks in your hands to make a good decision. The right set of sticks will enable your playing; choosing wrongly can lead to all sorts of issues. But don't stress out about it too much, the search for the perfect stick can take years - and a stick that's "perfect" for you now might be ill-suited for you five years down the road. Explore, try, have fun!

I work at a drum shop, and I may be wrong about this (have only tested it briefly!) but I believe nylon tips will not mark the pads as much as wooden tips. You should also only use new sticks - not ones that have been half chewed up on real hi-hats, or you may find yourself having to clean up stick dust off your pads. 5A hickory sticks are a good place to start.

Hi all I have just taken delivery of my new Yamaha DTX700K……..do electronic pads require different sticks to acoustic drums...........Many Thanks Pete.

Congrats on your purchase and to answer your question..no..use whatever stick you would normally use (except the really big marching band sticks - don't use these on either kit)..I typically use 5A's..seems to me to be a good middle of the road stick..but as alparrot stated if you're not sure go try some out…

Yeah, kits don't usually come with sticks because sticks are a highly personal choice.

As has been suggested already, the 5A is a very common and middle-of-the-road stick choice. I suggest you try that out (either buy a pair or test them in a music shop) and see if you like them, or if you want something lighter or heavier.

The only thing I would mention is that (speaking from experience) big sticks will wear out electronics faster, so I would be careful about going with anything larger than a 5B (which is the next size up from 5A).

Back