Coated Head on Maple Drums?

louisdrums

Hello there,
I'm getting a maple drum kit soon and i'm thinking about head combinations. I have picked; Evans G2 Coated over G1 Clear on toms. But i'm not sure weather this will give a too low and mellow sound! Iv'e only played on/heard kits with stock heads so I just need some advice! I don't know weather if i use the G2 Clear on batter toms, if it will sound too slappy and plasticy, if you get me? Orr should I go with 1ply batters maybe coated Ambassadors? Tell me what you reckon!

Cheers guys!

Louis.

Well what sort of music do you play? That always helps :)

I think if maybe you worry about having too little sound with 2 ply coated heads then yeah maybe try 1 ply coated heads instead.

I play quite a bit of styles although mainly rock, funk and just quite laid back music. Thanks for the quick reply. Do coated heads make the sound quieter and softer?

On a maple kit, I would definitely suggest coated heads. I think for your style of music a 2-ply coated would work great, and you are making a wise decision by going with Evans G2. On a birch kit, coated heads are too dry. But on a maple kit... man, I don't know if I would ever own a maple kit without coated heads, they just sound that good.

Hi there,
coated heads to my ear don't have less or more attack than clears, the attack just sounds different. "Plasticky" for clear fits with me, coated ones just sound less plasticky.
I think you can use any head with any shell - coated with birch, clear with maple, no problem.

Coated Ambassadors or G1 for that matter can do almost anything - if the overtones are too strong, just slap on some tape or a gel pad. Very versatile heads, more so than two-ply ones - these woul be more durable if you hit hard, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Back