Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

Re: Review Educational Video: Wreckl's "Back to the Basics"

loki83jcg:

This is a hard one - and with the first post....

I don't say, that I disagree, but:

Ok, more opinions welcome

Is it meant for beginners really? Do you write Wreckl instead of Weckl for purpose?

Bernhard

In view of what you have wrote I am changing my post to make it a little more friendly. Thank you for your quick response. Thank you for founding drummerworld!

Last edited:

This movie is not aimed solely at beginners. Weckl's foot technique suggested to play both heels up, not one up one down. His solos are not without tempo. Did you actually take a metronome and match it up to his playing? There are things called beat displacement which allow you to change time signatures or displace beats while playing.

I'm sorry but I think you're way off on this one. I'm not praising this as the greatest movie in the world, but to call a guy "Wreckl" is asinine. This is a very good movie for beginners through professionals.

I would agree ge does'nt go into avaliable techniques, he is teaching the way he played at that point, and from the results he was getting I dont think it'ts a bad thing. As wekl prooves himself, heel down is not the important technique to master when feet are concerned, especially in modern playing. As for not teaching matched grip, well he does because he goes through that with his left, and since it is matched then it does'nt take a genius to figure that out.

He does also go into independence and how obatain it, this I think is quite important, he recomends a couple of great books which is the only way to learn it really. It's a long challening process, like he him selfs outlines.

The title it of the DVD outlines who it is made for. Back to Basics suggests to me a drummer who needs to go back to basics becuase they have never covered that material before. There are plenty of other dvd's out there titled "drums for begginers" and what not, I dont see why you think it was inteded for beginners.

Yes, as samthebeat says Weckl's Back to Basics was never intended as a beginner's tuition video, but as a 'consolidator' for those looking to reaffirm their basic technique. Common sense should dictate that Dave Weckl isn't one for beginner tuition.
I think this is one of the all time great drum videos, an absolute must see for anyone into their tech. And the way that mullet moves is pretty groovy, too.

Loki - you might want to check out the Tommy Igoe video, apparently one of the best 'basics' teachers out there.

althought the video was not intended as a baics video. there is still tons of information to be gleaned from this instructional. i used to have this video, but i loaned my copy to nate smith and i never saw it again :(

anyway, the whole point of the video was dave trying to show you the house that he built out of the basic information that he presented. he focused some degree on technique and control of rebound, as well as some basic rudiments that he worked on hard in order to build his vocabulary. his cymbal setup was shown from a profile because his main point about how he setup his equipment in general was that everything should be pointing towards your waist. this is not a point that would be illustrated well w/ an overhead shot. he plays heel up, i play heel down. there is no reason why anyone should have to present both on their instructional. its the dave weckl show, and dave weckl plays heel up. as i remember he presented some decent applications of brush technique too.

again, don't let the title fool you. this was not meant to be a beginner's video and i don't recall that it was ever presented that way. he just boiled down his approach to the most fundamental elements within his playing (@ that time) so that he could present very basic ideas to the viewer and then show the viewer how, after considerable practice, they could build a deeper vocabulary based off that information.

Weckl and beginner shouldn't be in the same sentence....

Whats with the WRECKL....

Thank you for all the responses.
I am happy that everyone agrees that this video isn't for beginners.
I am also happy that everyone agrees that the few "basics" discussed in this video only reflect the basics that he uses.

John

Last edited:
Can you help me, im looking for a good DVD for beginner i meen realy a beginner that know nothing at all. I saw Rock Drumming Video Training System made by Jared Falk
i also saw TOMMY IGOE - BEGINNER DRUM DVD PACK any suggestion.

thanks for your help

I would highly reccommend Larry Finn's Accelerate Your Drumming DVD. I'd give it # # # # #.

It's logically laid out, with challenging but musically interesting grooves in rock, funk, hip hop and latin. In fact everything is geared towards a practical and musical end, whether it's four way coordination or rundimental hand technique, there's an actual point to all of it, making the whole process worth while. There's also very little bull on this DVD; one drum solo (with a groove and in time), a few demonstrations and a brief introduction to each section and that's it. The rest is all exercises and grooves that are all notated in a handy little note book for you to learn in sequence. For my money, that's what an educational DVD should be.

One page is misprinted in the my note book though - does anyone know where I can get a correction? Larry Finn has no home page or anything.

Re: Instructional Books

Hi, I was wandering what you guys might think of the following books

Title:Beyond The Backbeat: From Rock & Funk To Jazz & Latin
Author:Larry Finn

Title: The Jazz Drummer's Workshop
Author: John Riley
Fnx

I will second the Larry Finn. I don't know much about the DVD, but I've had him as a teacher and he's one of the best. Definitely a top-notch teacher.

Hi,
Good day to everybody!
It's my first time here.
Could somebody introduce me some books that the drummer and bass player can practice together?
thanks a lot.

Solid grooves by Dieter Petereit and Herb Quick covers many styles and contains some great ideas, although it can feel a little bit old-fashioned.

TITLE:The New Breed
AUTHOR:Gary Chester
PUBLISHER:Modern Drummer Publications
RATING: #######

COMMENTS:damn, it's a really good book.
The systems in this book will help you develop your coordination and reading
abiltity, and will give you a greater awareness of time, all of which will allow you
to be part of the "new breed" of studio drummers.

TITLE: Groove Essentials
AUTHOR: Tommy Igoe
PUBLISHER: Hudson Music & Vic Firth
RATING: 5/5

Comments: This book is really what it says it is, groove essentials! It gives basic and advanced grooves in many styles of drumming ranging from Rock, to jazz, to funk, rnb, and ever world beats. It also comes with a DVD and a playalong CD to practice your grooves to. Tommy Igoe explains everything in a very comprehensional way, so everyone can use this book!

TITLE: Advance Techniques for the Modern Drummer
AUTHOR: Jim Chapin
RATING: 5/5

Comments: All I can say about this book, is that it is the most difficult book I've ever used. It is truly the Bible to Jazz drumming. I've only gone through the first couple pages and it's frustrating..which is good! The concepts are fine to understand if you have experience in reading music, but without being able to read music, it will be pretty difficult, but doable! Buy this book.

TITLE: Thomas Lang Creative Corrnation & Advanced Foot Technique
AUTHOR: Thomas Lang
PUBLISHER: Hudson Music
RATING: 3.5/5

This was a fairly decent video. If you want to learn some double bass technique and multi pedal exercises then this is a good dvd. But for me, I dont own 4-6 pedals so alot of this video was useless. But as far as double bass technique this video was ace. It also came with Thoma's formula called a "matrix". It is a series of steps to improve interdependence

Was not as good as Creative Control but was a good video

I asked my drum teacher to teach me some jazz/ swing stuff... and he said "get a good book and ill teach you"

So, i have began my search.. and ofc came to drummerworld.

I live in the US so it would have to be found here, and a CD along w/ it would be great.

any recommendations and the price would be great :>

-dave

@ tama drummer.
i suggest you pick up a book called "Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer" by jim chapin. this a really good jazz and be-bop, it does happen to come with 2 cds. it can also be know as the "jim chapin book" it goes for $25 but is definately worth it

I asked my drum teacher to teach me some jazz/ swing stuff... and he said "get a good book and ill teach you"

So, i have began my search.. and ofc came to drummerworld.

I live in the US so it would have to be found here, and a CD along w/ it would be great.

any recommendations and the price would be great :>

-dave

I Just wrote a review about it a couple posts ago....

Back