Travis Barker

I saw Blink 182 this past weekend at Voodoofest in New Orleans, and I have to say, Travis Barker is a beast on the kit. He did a drum solo middle of the set that was AMAZING! I watched him closely and he plays some very difficult stuff at an incredibly high rate of speed.

can someone tell me why he is so freaking special!!???

Because he's out there doin' it........and getting well paid for his efforts..........whilst the rest of us are all wanking around passing judgement on the internet?

Is is Travis' fault that tosser fanboys who wouldn't know their arse from their elbow heap undue credit and praise on him? All he's doing is playing his drums mate.......the rest comes down to the idolisers.

No, he's not "da best drumma eva"....he's not even the best drummer I know. But until I hear Barker actually claim that mantle himself, my position on this won't change. He's not responsible for what morons may "think".......that's a fact.

Last edited:
Re: Speaking of Travis Barker...

I'd say we're in tune on this one, GVdad.

What makes it all so bad to me is how totally tame/boring it is. Nothing a 13 yr old rapper wannabe couldn't put couldn't put together with a cheap drum machine.

I'd rather be outraged by music I don't like than put to sleep by it.

I forgot to add. I would like to see Billy Cobham keep up with Enema of the state. They both have speed yes but speed and insurance? A good drummer should be able to play a song, Drum solo, and play a fast tempo for a longtime.

That's funny! Billy Cobham couldn't keep up??? :)

I hate to drag up an old thread but my new band wants to do all the small things by blink 182. I have never listened to it before except in passing. when we played it on an ipod at practice the lead guitarist and myself both noticed at the same time that he slows the beat down at one point. its painful to hear it and there is no way it is deliberate because its in the middle of the verse at a random spot and he picks it back up right away. this dude is terrible. its in the first verse.

A better topic than this would be how do you guys feel about pop punk? You know, that genre blink is under. Maybe I'll make a thread one day..

But as far as travis goes.. he's hella talented, but far overrated. Like, it really gripes me that he's a household name while so many other great drummers don't get the same type of recognition. Although you could say no recognition is the name of the game for us drummers eh..

I've seen enough fanboy love and trolling regarding TB, that I inherently want to dislike him.

I certainly don't care for the image or the band and its music, but that is not fair in regards to his drumming skills.

Im sure he has talent and is a good drummer....I'm sure he is light years better than I am.

With that in mind, from what I've heard and had to play in bands (guitar, but I take note of the drums) I don't think it would be appropriate to call him great or even list him in the top 100 list of drummers....

Travis Barker gets a lot of bad rap, and I'll admit, I used to be one of the biggest anti-Barker drummers out there. But the fact is, it's not Barker that is obnoxious, it's his fans. Travis could play a 4/4 rock beat, call it a solo, and people would lose their minds. He's a rock star, more than a drummer. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and I've never heard of him claiming he was better than anyone else..

I have seen videos of his playing, and his technique is awful. He holds the sticks like he's ready to go into battle, and he's always breaking cymbals, busting heads, I mean the dude is down right abusive to his equipment. But rather you think he's good or bad, he is one of the world's most famous drummers, and he's known for what he does, so we have no right to criticize the dude for it. I listen to a little Blink 182 on my own time - my wife loves the band.

And also don't forget, he has a wife and kids, and nearly died in a plane crash. The dude is still getting tattoos repaired from when they were burned off in the crash. Him and another fellow were the only survivors.

all the small things... he slows the beat down at one point... its in the middle of the verse at a random spot and he picks it back up right away.
I have nothing against Mr. Barker despite not being much of a pop-punk fan myself, but I just listened to it, and yeah, it's definitely there.
It sounds like me when I first tried recording to a click track. There were a couple of points where I'd play one bar a little too fast, then slow down for the next bar to compensate before locking back into it for the third.
But that's real amateur stuff. Even if that's his only mistake on the whole album, I'm surprised they even kept that take, let alone used it.

I have nothing against Mr. Barker despite not being much of a pop-punk fan myself, but I just listened to it, and yeah, it's definitely there.
It sounds like me when I first tried recording to a click track. There were a couple of points where I'd play one bar a little too fast, then slow down for the next bar to compensate before locking back into it for the third.
But that's real amateur stuff. Even if that's his only mistake on the whole album, I'm surprised they even kept that take, let alone used it.

haha crazy right? hes popular, just not that good.

Yeah, definately his style is more akin to marching drumming. Barker is the man. If he was a jazz drummer he wouldn't sound like Travis Barker.

I was in jazz band in high school. Does that make me a jazz drummer?

I completely agree with this. Out of the two drummers I would say Travis Barker has the better technique. Have a listen to Feeling This by Blink 182, a complete homage to John Bonham. Tre is a more solid drummer but Travis will throw in a lot more technical sticking as one would expect from someone with a marching band background.

A punk drummer with a jazz feel to me and I am completely in awe of the man having seen Bad Religion at Koko is Brooks Wackerman and to me the best drummer hands down. He is as fast as anyone on Vanity but he includes more subtlety.Listen to Beyond Electric Dreams. He also plays offbeats or other beats I would not expect from a typical punk drummer. In short he has more tricks in his metaphorical bag. Feel free to disagree and yes I have listened to jazz from Tony Williams to Billy Cobham back to Philly Joe Jones but I am not a jazz drummer and for the many hours I played 16th note bass drum patterns I am a devotee of Bonham but I appreciate jazz.

Although not a true punk drummer though he has played with Suicidal Tendencies and Trash Talk Thomas Pridgen is also amazing and seems to include many styles within his playing.

haha crazy right? hes popular, just not that good.

He is popular I agree but I also think he is good. Listen to his 16th note hi hat work on Heart's all gone or All systems go by Boxcar Racer where he shows more controlled hi-hat work and as I have said at another point the bass drum work on Feeling This is pure Bonham. In short he is better than people give him credit for and I think this is down to his personality. Even in and out and punk rocker like Dumpweed he plays some nice fills and some good hi-hat work in the slower areas of the song.

Far too good drummer to be called a PuNk rock drummer, and absolutely no punk attitude, a more MTV obedience attitude. But I do appreciate his energy and technic.

As a punk I refute that as many excellent punk drummers Jay Weinberg ex Against Me, Thomas Pridgen ex Trash Talk, Brooks Wackerman Bad Religion, Josh Freese The Vandals. Punk should not be looked down upon simply because it is punk.

He is popular I agree but I also think he is good. Listen to his 16th note hi hat work on Heart's all gone or All systems go by Boxcar Racer where he shows more controlled hi-hat work and as I have said at another point the bass drum work on Feeling This is pure Bonham. In short he is better than people give him credit for and I think this is down to his personality. Even in and out and punk rocker like Dumpweed he plays some nice fills and some good hi-hat work in the slower areas of the song.

Thankyou. Finally someone who knows there stuff! All the songs you mentioned are great examples of who Travis is and how he is not that overrated and he actually has some amazing talent.

Back