Pushing the envelope of this forum, non drum related

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I saw this just tonight and thought it was too powerful not to share with my brothers and sisters here. It's an extremely medical and factual pro stance documentary about the substance I got arrested for on break at an open mic blues jam type gig on a Sunday night, Mothers Day 2011. (The jammers were on stage, I was free to hang) 48 minutes long and made in 2010. It's about time this research see's the light of day. If you can guess what I'm referring to, and maybe have a spare 48 minutes, check it out. Guaranteed not to disappoint.

http://vimeo.com/20129106

As retired law enforcement I completely agree in legalizing pot or growing certain amounts for personal consumption,just like alcohol is now.The amout of time,money and resources not to mention risking the lives of cops, is staggering.

How many lives have been ruined or lost because of antiquated ideals and laws.If pot was legalized and enormous amout of income through taxation would be realized on municipal,state and federal levels.Not to mention how much jail space would be freed up in an already overcrowded system.

Taxpayer dollars that pay for law enforcement, inmate care and custody could be used in other areas,such as rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure,better education , medical care and research.

In all my years in law enforcement,I've never seen violent behavior or a fight between people that were high on weed.....over eating and protracted laughter yes but violence....never.Conversly with booze,plenty of bar fights,stabbings,shootings,DWIs and broken families.It's time to change our perspective and shift the paradigm.

Steve B

The results of this experiment indicated that there were significant effects on pilot performance 24 hours after smoking a single marijuana cigarette. Overall, the pilots demonstrated much moredifficultyinaligningwithandlandingontherunwayafter ∆9-THCexposure.Therewere increases in the number and size of aileron changes, the size of elevator changes and the degree of vertical and lateral deviation from the required flightpath during the approach to land. At 24 hours post-marijuana, the lateral deviation on approach to land was almost twice that of the pre-marijuana test. There was also a significant increase in the distance from the centre of the runway on touchdown. Indeed, one pilot 24 hours after smoking the marijuana landed off the runway entirely. More worrying, perhaps, was their finding that the pilots were not aware of any impairment of their flying performance at 24 hours after marijuana use.
Leirer et al examined the inter-relationship between marijuana, age and difficulty of the task on pilot performance (27). They found that there was a cumulative adverse effect of age, marijuana and task difficulty on pilot performance. Older pilots performed less well than younger pilots, bad weather resulted in lower pilot performance, and impaired performance occurred immediately after exposure to marijuana. In this group of pilots, a carry-over effect of marijuana was not found at 24 hours post-exposure.

this is my only issue. Pilots who feel good way before the effects wear off.

I will not debate this topic as there are many great points from both sides. I just wanted to put this out there because I thought it should be seen by both sides.

I'm basically libertarian, so I don't think we should've ever outlawed it anyway. Peoples' behaviors and how they interact with others are what matter. What they put into their bodies should be their own business.

Well said, Steve. It's frustrating to see society so slow to learn from the mistakes of history, but turning around large groups of people is like turning around a large ship.

Love the historical footage ... the anti pot and booze ads ... Lucille and Ricardo advertising Phillip Morris lol

There's no doubt it's medicinal, although like all medicines there is an optimal dosage. Abuse of pot won't have the dramatic effects of many other things but it's still not good - overdone it messes with your head, especially for schizophrenics, and it reduces motivation ... if you feel wonderful while just sitting on your butt then you're less likely to get off it and do something.

I think that's the main reason why the powers that be dislike pot, given that they basically see us as productive units. Too much pot and you're like an unoiled cog in the machine. Transcendent experience is only allowed if gained through the prescribed channels of alcohol, mating and breeding, the highs of work success, organised religion, sport and popular (ie. money spinning) arts.

Tribal societies often used entheogens (Wiki: "a psychoactive substance used in a religious, shamanic, or spiritual context"). These experiences can be inspiring and lead to insights that can be applied in daily life. In progressing society from the tribal ways we threw some babies out with the bathwater. In some ways modern society is more barbaric than traditional ones.

An anecdote about productive use of smoko. A few years ago I had a major and high profile (within the organisation) reporting project and I was overwhelmed by it. Spent days ineffectually trying to make sense of it and was getting nowhere. Then one morning, on a whim, I had a cone before work. Floated into the office, sat at my desk, opened the file and revisited the errors I had to clean up - several thousand of them.

I was baked and relaxed so I just picked one error and did an analysis on it. Cool, just three and a half thousand to go! So I fixed another, which turned out to be identical in principle to hundreds of other errors. Three thousand to go. By lunchtime I'd broken the back of the project and was back to schedule - the smoke had eased off my anxiety and allowed me to focus with some clarity.

It's reefer madness I tell you! We are dangerous people!

I won't smoke pot or take drugs. I have a damn good reason though, I probably am in that small percentage that would develop serious mental issues. I already have occasional hallucinations without any foreign substances in my body so the last thing that might trigger them!

There was an interesting debate last year that I read about. It was regarding heroin production in Afghanistan. In the UK, diamorphine (which is basically heroin) is used a painkiller after surgery - as it is in a number of countries. There is a severe shortage of diamorphine and the supply of legal diamorphine is quite variable.

Instead of actually paying the farmers that were producing the opium poppy (illegally), coalition troops and local government destroyed the crop. These were people with little other option financially. The local arable crops wouldn't produce a high enough yield to be financially viable so opium poppy was grown instead. Rather than burning it, why didn't the various governments buy it and licence its growth in a legal channel to supply to medical establishments? It would have instantly removed the criminality, reduced the illegal supply (and made it much more expensive) and have produced a much-needed steady income to the farmers that were growing it. Madness.

I'm not a libertarian, but I do believe in the legalisation of a number of drugs. In my view, they are a great potential source of tax income whilst simultaneously removing the criminality from the chain. There has to be a better way - although I appreciate what I say is deeply controversial.

Good stuff Duncan. To me it is so hypocritical that the government allows drinking, and gambling, when they know all the potential damage it does to people, yet won't legalize Marijuana. Growing up, I saw it suck the ambition out of my very gifted brother, and I myself failed grade 8 smoking the drug, so for me it is not an option. I have a propensity to do things to there extreme's!

I've had a friend end up in prison four times and ruin her life because of a speed and cocaine addiction. It's entirely her fault - I make no bones about that - but the criminal aspect of the drugs are what I'm most worried about.

With a legalised supply, you also have a guaranteed purity. Overdosing would be much more rare.

Just one thing I have to say about the weed and this comes from extensive experience back in the day " YOU DON'T GET STONED YOU GET STUPID!!!!

I feel it's only a matter of time before they legalize here, I just wish they would already. I don't smoke it but I did when I was younger. States where it is medicinally legal to grow and posses it have made a mockery of the medicinal law anyway so why not pass it and get rid of the criminal element now?

And just think of all the money the bleeding hearts can get from more B.S. taxes to help those that cannot afford their own cheetos to eat when they get the munchies as a side effect from the marijuana that the DR. prescribed for their anxiety.

I am as open-minded as they come, but I don't like to see pot used for anything other than medicinal purposes. My lungs are my life and I ahbor tobacco and the tobacco industry. I can see Phillip Morris getting into the pot business and monopolizing it if it became legal.

Plus if my daughter ever began smoking pot I would be crushed.

I think some god-like spirit and your parents loved you enough to bring you into this world. The least you can do is to thank them by taking care of your body and stayinh healthy so that you can take care of others.

I can just hear Larry yelling as he was hauled away " dont touch my kit, ill be back in the morning to pick it up!". Its a crazy thing because the revenue alone would probably erase the national debt in one year. There should be an age limit and other restrictions on it like antthing else but lets get it legal already. I dont smoke it and I wont if it becomes legal, it would just be nice to remove the criminal element involved in the whole thing.

I don't do anything classified as drugs myself and my alcohol comsumption is about 2 bottles of wine a year.

However, I think we should just get rid of all restrictions and let people choose for themselves. It's never worked so why not just try something different?

I favor keeping the drug laws just exactly as they are - pot and just about everything else illegal, booze legal but heavily regulated.

I'm quite relaxed with pot being illegal as long as they don't get silly and start acting as though the law made sense. I like the "illegal in name but everyone knows it's a dumb law" situation and usually not pushily enforced for individuals.

Cannabis is a far cleaner, gentler and more meditative drug than alcohol. People who get trashed with booze while tut-tutting about "immoral" pot users and "illegal drugs" are delusional. A lot of them run government, big businesses, churches and the media. They are blinded by their egos.

But I don't care for civil disobedience (other than ignoring bad laws) - pot's illegality keeps it under the radar ... away from the dead hand of government. You don't want govt involved.

I'm against arts grants for the same reason - everything the government touches is conservative and compromised by committees, qualities that are fabulous when dealing with logistics, but not the arts or the vagaries of individual human beings.

- pot's illegality keeps it under the radar ... away from the dead hand of government. You don't want govt involved in matters of the soul.
the government is already involved inforcing the laws against it, spnding hundreds of millions a year on enforcement. Let the government make money from it instead.

the government is already involved inforcing the laws against it, spnding hundreds of millions a year on enforcement. Let the government make money from it instead.

Sounds like a plan, Stan. The waste is ridiculous; I was just thinking of convenience on a personal level. There's hubris in the laws ... if they were focused on doing the right thing they'd save a lot of money and problems, but politics by it's nature means that our "leaders" are more concerned with the views of powerful lobby groups than logic.

I favor keeping the drug laws just exactly as they are - pot and just about everything else illegal, booze legal but heavily regulated.

Booze is far more dangerous and harmful to both self and society. If anything, this should be reversed. Listen to the ex cop in the first response; enough with the damage we allow as a result of prohibition on a mild intoxicant that is demonstrably not as harmful as other currently legal intoxicants. It helps nothing, accomplishes nothing, and literally kills people and ruins lives to have this completely naturally occurring substance be controlled by our government.

Just one thing I have to say about the weed and this comes from extensive experience back in the day " YOU DON'T GET STONED YOU GET STUPID!!!!

In my experience, either you're stupid, or you're not. Additional cannabinoids in your system isn't going to make you dumb, though it can make an idiot act even more stupid by their own volition. It's just a change in mental processing. Though things like short term memory can be affected, a lot of folks will also tell you that other areas of mental processing are enhanced or altered. Given the context of this forum, it makes huge sense to mention that creativity and music immersion is at the top of that list. It's not just happenstance that cannabis and music are so intertwined.

Back