Football v American Football

S

sufc.loyal

Dont get American football.

The players are all padded up for one.

The game starts and stops all the time, no consistancy.

Time outs, why

And do you have away surpporter stands.

World Football "(Soccer)"

Now that is a truly world game, the world cup, really is the whole world competing for the cup.

The game is split in to 2no. 45min halfs, and it is consistanly flowing all the time.

Surporters can follow their teams or country abroad, to watch them play.

The skill level is higher.

This should start some good arguments.

First of all American Football is brutal. Even with the Pads because no other sport are there 300lb men running 4.5 speed into each other head first. So please do not think it's wimpy because of the Pads. No other sport is this brutal, including rugby.

The game starts and stops so each side can develop a strategy, This is what makes it the greatest game on the planet IMO, you don't just have athletes running all willy nilly up and down the field for 2+hrs

Time outs+ again strategy and managing your Time outs is a big big part of it. Coaches have been fired for not using them wisely.

You don't need away team stands. Visitors fans can sit wherever they want. Which can be dangerous at times but I don't think we get as uncivilized as some other sports do.

When you live in country the size of the USA the local sports like football, baseball, etc provides a great deal of pride and support for your local team. We usually wait for the olympics for the national pride stuff.

I have honestly tried to watch soccer and I just don't get it and never will. Boring IMO

Well i don't like bashing sports, but football?

C'mon, you don't play it with your foot and its not even a ball which you're playing with...

Handegg would be more appropriate.

Well i don't like bashing sports, but football?

C'mon, you don't play it with your foot and its not even a ball which you're playing with...

Handegg would be more appropriate.

Trivial argument... Google it there is a whole reason for it. I believe it is because the british took both Football and Soccer for one game so we had to choose and football sounds wayyy better than soccer...Also I don't think you asking this question is bashing at all. I wonder why you would think it is?

If the players weren't padded,

1. there would be A LOT of unneeded deaths, and

2. concussions would happen every single play.

Players have been shown to have brain damage late in life because of football, even with pads.

Having played Soccer football in college and watched American football my whole life, I love them both. to say that soccer takes more skill is erroneous. The skill sets are entirely different. Just like volleyball and tennis. They both require skills just different ones. soccer players don't run at each other head on, hence the equipment, and American football players don't dive and fake injury to draw yellow or red cards. Real athletes don't feign injury. Like I said I love them both but they are entirely different games. One has a world wide audience, but there was an American game in Wembly this fall that was sold out if I remember correctly. And every game is started with a kick. hence football.

When in AF (American Football) can you call a time out, and what would be the point of doing so.

I think the history of AF is back in the early 1800's your universities played Rugby, but demmed it to dangerious due to the amount of injuries that happened, so thus padded up, and called it football.

In England the Rugby is known as Rugby Football, but always shortend to Rugby for obviuius reasons.

As for Wembly being sold out, for the the game during the Autumn, yes i do remeber that, listerning to the build up a week before the game, on the sports radio.

Never seen or heard so many Yanks in one place at one time, yeee ha LOL.

Played Rugby when i was at school, got kicked square in the eye, had to be taken to hospital to have my eye popped out, so they could get behind it to clean it, funny thing was when i was down the hospital a week later to see the opticians for eye damage, i bumped into my sports teacher on crutches with a broken leg, due to playing Rugby for his Sunday team.

No we dont need pads.

Football is more skillfull as you have to attack someone to get the ball from someone, as opposed to just jumping on them, use to do that all day long as a kid in the school playground.

No football, is by far a better, more skillfull, passionate sport than AF, IMO and most others. LOL ..

Last edited:
The players are all padded up for one.
As mentioned before, necessary due to the size and strength of the players and the force of the impacts. Of course, you could argue that players hit harder because of the padding.

This does bother me. Worst of all is it leaves way too much opportunity to broadcast commercials, which has made televised American football unwatchable, imo.

World Football "(Soccer)"

Now that is a truly world game, the world cup, really is the whole world competing for the cup.

The game is split in to 2no. 45min halfs, and it is consistanly flowing all the time.

Surporters can follow their teams or country abroad, to watch them play.

The skill level is higher.
I do enjoy watching the world cup. However, there is one aspect of world football that I find intolerable and extremely lame:

Players Faking Injuries!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-apigHJC3I

Seriously now! I watch sports to see feats of athleticism, not dramatic acting performances. It looks like they are the ones that need pads, the way they carry on!

Last edited:
I like soccer and all, I played in high school for a bit, but it's so rare anyone scores.

An exciting soccer game ends with a score of maybe 2-1. Maybe a really good game ends 4-2.

In AF, there are multiple ways to score, creating more opportune times for something to happen.

Technically true, but each play in AF has the potential to be exciting.
Soccer continues on, but most of the time is just kicking the ball up and down the field, with only a few exciting moments when the ball gets near the net.

If you watch an AF game long enough, it bound to be thrilling sooner or later. Watching soccer, you can be waiting a while for something thrilling to happen.

Also, the start-stop method of AF allows a lot more strategy to be involved. Plays are designed, formations are designed, Running backs run patterns, wide receivers run specific routes, Quarterbacks have specific things to accomplish, it can becomes like a chess match, only with 300 pound guys running onto each other. The offense is constantly trying to come up a new play that will throw the defense off, the defense devises schemes to thwart the offense, or force the offense to do something specific.

An offense must decided to run or pass. Will the runner run up the middle to a specific side? What pattern will a wide receiver run? Should the offense go for a quick short pas, or a long down the field pass? There are hundreds of variables.

The defense has to decided how many players to rush at the quarterback, and how many to drop on coverage. Should they play man to man or zone defense? Should the safety come up to defend a run, or drop back to defend a pass?

Every play is designed with a specific purpose in mind.

Soccer, not as much. Yes, in soccer, you have formations and try to take advantage of the match ups by putting your best players against your opponents weaker players, but once the game is going, you don't vary from the strategy, and adjustments are only made at the 1/2 or during a time out. If you decided to go power forward or strong defense, that pretty much it for that 1/2.

In soccer, the coach can call a time out to switch from zone to man to man, but in AF, the players switch back and forth between zone and man to man all the time.

To say soccer requires more skill is just being biased and not looking at what a NFL player goes through to get prepared for a game.

When in AF (American Football) can you call a time out, and what would be the point of doing so. To plan the next play since AF is based on a series of downs or plays.

I think the history of AF is back in the early 1800's your universities played Rugby, but demmed it to dangerious due to the amount of injuries that happened, so thus padded up, and called it football.

In England the Rugby is known as Rugby Football, but always shortend to Rugby for obviuius reasons.

As for Wembly being sold out, for the the game during the Autumn, yes i do remeber that, listerning to the build up a week before the game, on the sports radio.

Never seen or heard so many Yanks in one place at one time, yeee ha LOL.
They were not all Yanks, trust me.

Played Rugby when i was at school, got kicked square in the eye, had to be taken to hospital to have my eye popped out, so they could get behind it to clean it, funny thing was when i was down the hospital a week later to see the opticians for eye damage, i bumped into my sports teacher on crutches with a broken leg, due to playing Rugby for his Sunday team.

No we dont need pads. Sounds to me from the above two listed injuries that you do need pads.

Football is more skillfull as you have to attack someone to get the ball from someone, as opposed to just jumping on them, use to do that all day long as a kid in the school playground. Pass interceptions, causing fumbles, blocking kicks, blitzing the quarterback all require much skill.

No football, is by far a better, more skillfull, passionate sport than AF, IMO and most others. LOL ..
I would still argue the more skillful part. Until you have played a little AF, and gotten the snot knocked out of you WITH pads on, your opinion is unfounded and doesn't hold much water. And until the diving stops no one will want to watch the phony acts put on by such SKILLED players. LOL

Wow, Culture clash going on here.
I don't see the need to discuss this.
Apples and Oranges! Two different games that only have the common denominator that they are both Sports.
American Football is part of American culture. It's our business! It's our game!
The ball was round when the game was first invented. It didn't pass through the air very well that way! LOL
Lets discuss Baseball and Cricket! Same thing, Right!
How about we compare tennis and ping pong!
Many Americans watch and play Soccer, I mean Football.

Last edited:
Which is what I said in my first post about them having different skill sets. Sufc. Loyal admits he doesn't get it. Enough said. If you don't understand it then you can't judge it. Out.

Eh, not really. I'm American, and I think some of the criticisms of American football are legit. Mainly the stopping/starting thing (there's more standing around than actual game play.) Conversely, I think world football is great...except for the dives. They need to do something about that. Seriously!

Football ... Cheerleaders. Good stuff.​
Soccer ... topless chicks that paint their upper bodies Team Colors/Country Flags. Good stuff.​
Other than that, both sports are a colossal waste of money and time.​

Eh, not really. I'm American, and I think some of the criticisms of American football are legit. Mainly the stopping/starting thing (there's more standing around than actual game play.) Conversely, I think world football is great...except for the dives. They need to do something about that. Seriously!

Well that says alot does'nt it, you are more likely to see an American with this thought than you are to see someone from another country with the opposite view.. Strange how that usually turns out to be the case in these type's of arguments. I like the stopping and starting although I do agree it's getting carried away the bigger the game gets the more commercials they try to throw at ya.

I still think Soccer is boring and I have tried to play it and watch it with an open mind unlike others here who just want to end their posts with LOL and talk about something they know absolutely nothing about

i agree, rugby is far more brutal thn american football

You must be dreaming. Scrums where everyone is holding each other, no downfield blocking just a buch of laterals. You also need to watch more before you make comments like that. No stretched out players catching a ball while a defensive back tries to take your head off.

So far this thread has produced two myths.
1. That soccer takes more skill
2. Rugby is rougher

When you guys wake up from your naps, after having afternoon tea, come play some American Football.

Football ... Cheerleaders. Good stuff.​
Soccer ... topless chicks that paint their upper bodies Team Colors/Country Flags. Good stuff.​
Other than that, both sports are a colossal waste of money and time.​

I agree with this statement. I'm American and I HATE AF. One thing I hate about it so much is "the fans". I love hearing a guy say "We won,we won!". I think to myself "Wow I didn't see you on the field anywhere"? It's about as thrilling to watch as Nascar. I played soccer when I was younger but never actually watched a game. Rugby..never watched a game either but from little things I have seen it looks pretty brutal. Boxing...now that's a brutal sport!

Back